This thread is privately moderated by Taxus812, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 30, 2020, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Ladies and gents we have a straight TE. So for the record at least at one point in the build I had a straight flat TE.

Now I have a question for the folks following along. Should I use the the provided motor mounts ?

I need to put in an order for some parts and need to consider if I should install the provided motor mount.
Last edited by Taxus812; Jan 30, 2020 at 01:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2020, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Enough for tonight.

I glued the LE, finished sheeting the top and added cap strips. I was actually surprised at how well the LE came out. A lot of the wave went away when I sanded it flat. I guess it was an optic illusion. Other spots seemed to flatten out when I glued the LE to it. I do have a few low spots but nothing horrible and I will fill them tomorrow.

Tomorrow plan is to get the ailerons and flaps fabricated. Install the wingtips and. Sand the center section so I can add the nylon tape to the center seam. I plan to use epoxy since that much CA would kill me.

That said, it will be the last thing I install tomorrow so it can dry overnight.

One thing to note. This sheeting is thick. Much thicker than the center and caps strips. It must be expected that you will do a lot of sanding. Honestly it is a very heavy wing. It also feels as strong as a 2x4
Last edited by Taxus812; Jan 30, 2020 at 08:23 PM.
Feb 01, 2020, 11:34 AM
looking very nice! one thing worth mentioning is that the wood on wood contact from the wing dowel to the fuse will wear from vibration. you can put a brass or carbon sleeve on the dowel or in the hole to reduce wear. yup, it is a very strong wing! I think you can see it wouldn't lose any real strength using balsa spars.
Feb 01, 2020, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
looking very nice! one thing worth mentioning is that the wood on wood contact from the wing dowel to the fuse will wear from vibration. you can put a brass or carbon sleeve on the dowel or in the hole to reduce wear. yup, it is a very strong wing! I think you can see it wouldn't lose any real strength using balsa spars.
I just weighed it 695g (1.54lbs) and I could use it as a weapon in hand to hand combat. Yikes 😳

Thanks for the tip. I will have to think about that. The nearest hobby shop is the better part of an hour away.
Last edited by Taxus812; Feb 02, 2020 at 10:40 PM.
Feb 02, 2020, 06:05 PM
Thread OP

Issue

The kit includes 6-32 1 bolts for mounting the motor to the firewall. However they provided 8-32 blind nuts.

I have 6-32 blind nuts on hand but the backs are tiny compared to 8-32.

I also have a pack of 8-32 caps screws I could use. So Im wondering what is the correct combination.
Feb 02, 2020, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
So I was productive but I seriously underestimated how much work there was to complete the wing. One thing that bit me was how thick this sheeting is and the hardness of the balsa ailerons.

Cutting the ailerons and flaps was not enjoyable. It should have been simple, but to make sure all my gaps were 1/6 and even was a nightmare. Plus I actually cut them wrong and had to scramble to figure out how to recut and have enough material. I did it but it was challenging. I actually had to just walk away from it and work on it one wing a day.
Last edited by Taxus812; Feb 03, 2020 at 07:51 AM.
Feb 03, 2020, 12:45 PM
Thread OP

Issue resolved

So earlier I found I had the wrong t-nuts in my kit.

The motor mount uses 6-32 bolts and I had 8-32 t-nuts. When I grabbed some 6-32 nuts from my bench stock, I realized the flange seemed really small. I went to Dubro and theirs were the same. Well I did some research and found 6-32 t-nuts come in two different sizes.

One has an 1/8” barrel and one has a 1/4”. Well the one with a 1/4” barrel also has a 1/2” flange. Looking at the plans It shows a 1/2” flange. Further investigation I can see that the back of the mount is slightly oversized to allow the barrel to be inserted if it sticks out a little to far.

You guys probably knew that I m sure but it’s new to me
Last edited by Taxus812; Feb 03, 2020 at 01:55 PM.
Feb 03, 2020, 09:58 PM
Thread OP

Wing complete!

I finished up the wing today. I assembled the wheel skirts and installed the landing gear.

Note to self. If I ever build another plane with wire gear, I will make sure i sand it so the wire sits cleanly in the grooves before installing. When I got the wire in the slot it wouldn’t seat all the way in. I had to sand the grove a bit so it could seat in it fully when I installed the straps.

Also I had a little issue. When the right gear was installed I could hear the top of the gear wire hit wood and raise the sheeting a bit on the other side. I drilled the hole out a small bit it seemed to work but I didn’t like it. If the gear wire wasn't from the Golden Gate Bridge and had a plasma cutter I would have trimmed it. I may try to grind it down a few mm. Unfortunately someone stole my grinding wheel so it will be by hand.

Update: I trimmed off about 1/16" from the end of the landing gear wire that goes into the wing with a hacksaw. Last night I shut off the light in the shop and the shadow that was cast I could clearly see that they were pressing up on the top sheeting on both sides worse than I thought. I expect if I left it stay that way it would have gone through the sheeting eventually. so I decided to trim both sides. this seems to have alleviated the issue. It also lets the gear sit better in the groove.
Last edited by Taxus812; Feb 04, 2020 at 04:30 PM.
Feb 03, 2020, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
Just for the record, I take lots of pictures so I can document my build just for my own purposes. I try too take a lot from different angles so I can look them over to remember how I’d did things. I also see stuff I may have liked (or didn’t). Hopefully there aren’t to many lol
Feb 04, 2020, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis11
Good luck with this project!

I had one sitting in my garage for years that I finally built last fall with my daughter. I set it up for electric and am having a wonderful time with it - i did a very short build post in glow-to-electric conversions.

What a great flying airplane.

I'd highly recommend the canopy and cowl from Fiberglass specialties, if you haven't ordered them already.
Quick question about these. I getting to the part where I will need to make a decision on whether or not I use the included. I get why the wheel pants and cowl. What is the plus for the canopy ? Can you post some pictures (unfinished as well if possible)
Feb 04, 2020, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxus812
Quick question about these. I getting to the part where I will need to make a decision on whether or not I use the included. I get why the wheel pants and cowl. What is the plus for the canopy ? Can you post some pictures (unfinished as well if possible)
I actually just meant cowl and pants, the included canopy was just fine.
Feb 04, 2020, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis11
I actually just meant cowl and pants, the included canopy was just fine.
Cool thanks ! (and glad to see you are still following )
Feb 06, 2020, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
So this is why I take pictures. I was looking at them and noticed I had a sanding mark on the LE (the whole length). I could not see it just looking at it and it was obscured by sawdust but it was down the whole LE. I could see it in the picture however. I just took my long sanding bar and smooth it out (about two min work). It would have stunk if I did not catch that because I am sure I would have seen it when it was covered.
Feb 09, 2020, 12:20 PM
Thread OP

I cant do anything right!

This has been one disaster after another ! the weekend started out great but quickly went into a death spiral. I have to just walk away and perhaps leave it for a week. My brain seems to be getting sucked into ratholes. Normally I can resist the temptation. Today I just cant make decisions properly and burned out. so on with the log.....

It started with mounting the engine. I got so focused on what the directions wanted I didn't pay attention to other things. I got the motor mounts tacked to the engine, lined them up to the centerline, marked them, drilled, nut plates installed & glued only to find they were in the WORNG location. uuuuug. I mounted the engine vertical. I have no idea how I made that mistake. I even check twice lol. Then to boot I tried to line up the mount for a sideways install and found with the Saito 1.00. It wont fit using the included motor mount. Now I had to plug the holes and rethink the whole thing. I honestly think I panicked because I barely made it there before they closed the whole build weekend was in jeopardy.

So I trudged off to Hog Heaven (50min drive) I bought a Dave brown 120fs motor mount so I could continue the build this weekend. Theoretically their 90FS should have fit but it was to tight (I brought the motor with me). The specs for the 90fs 1.67' rail spacing and I measured 169 on my motor. I realized after I mounted the 120fs mount that the rails taper inward. I probably could have made the 90fs work . I was honestly worried about stress on the mount rails. Out of curiosity I ordered a 90FS to see for sure. I'm not going to work on the plane this week anyway. I need a break.

So back to the disaster. So now I have the DB 120FS. I started looking at the engine in the right orientation and got myself into a brain trap. Do I mount it sideways or inverted. Inverted would hide most of the engine and I can hide the muffler.

Well this story is long enough. The end decision was to mount it inverted. I will have to adjust the fuel tank height but is solves some issues I had with side mounting. the biggest is access to the carb needles. the second is room for the throttle linkages plus the 120Fs would have to be trimmed to fit under the cowl.
Last edited by Taxus812; Feb 09, 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Feb 09, 2020, 12:38 PM
Thread OP

Post out for order. I did this before the motor mount.

Laminated parts for the fuselage. . The instructions use CA on the firewall but I decided to use 15 Medium-Cure Epoxy , the 15 min is more flexible and stronger than CA. I did some reading and apparently Slow cure is harder. I figured that this is the motor mount so this would be a good spot for it. I used sigbond wood glue for laminating the fuselage doublers. I used ca for anything else.
Last edited by Taxus812; Feb 09, 2020 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply