Jan 17, 2020, 05:02 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Thread OP
Discussion

New CBO coming: Flite Test CBO

Flite Test is forming a CBO! The AMA will have competition.
Flite Test Community Association - 1st Update (9 min 3 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 09:08 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Id really like to see this, and their whole RC aviation golf course/kit build biz model, um, take off. (sorry, I had too )
Jan 18, 2020, 03:09 AM
Independent Journalist/Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad
Flite Test is forming a CBO! The AMA will have competition.
FT are good folks. Not sure it'l be competition to the AMA. I suspect they'll appeal to a mostly different segment of the public. That's a good thing, as it will tend to expand the numbers of organized, politically savvy RC enthusiasts, rather than cannibalize the AMA's membership.
Jan 18, 2020, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehman56
FT are good folks. Not sure it'l be competition to the AMA. I suspect they'll appeal to a mostly different segment of the public. That's a good thing, as it will tend to expand the numbers of organized, politically savvy RC enthusiasts, rather than cannibalize the AMA's membership.
That’s a good thing.

And Flite Test appeals to kids and families. I might be wrong, but I think that would give them a little more consideration than the AMA which arguably is more involved with old farts (like me). The kids and families Flite Test caters to are the future of model and full scale aviation.
Jan 18, 2020, 03:38 PM
I remember ten years ago or so when another CBO attempted to start up and the AMA squashed them.
After this year(2020,)I will be seriously considering leaving the AMA and the club I belong to.
I've just about had it with the worthless AMA . All they do is collect fees and spend it on themselves.
Totally corrupted. The AMA is a dinosaur and so are its officers.
Jan 18, 2020, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
I think Flite Test will be too big to squash.

I wonder if membership in their CBO will include insurance?
Jan 18, 2020, 08:10 PM
Insurance is pretty cheap these days.... I wish this group well!
Jan 20, 2020, 10:44 AM
model aviation is not a crime
They're going to fill the void left when the AMA outlived its usefulness to the hobbyist aeromodeler when they positioned themselves as a commercial drone insurance company
Jan 20, 2020, 11:23 AM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad
I think Flite Test will be too big to squash.

I wonder if membership in their CBO will include insurance?
I disagree about being too big to squash (whatever that means). Insurance is not a CBO requirement, but a safety program is and so far FT, not any other CBO hopeful, has published one.

Quote:
``(4) provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for
all aspects of model aviation addressing the assembly and
operation of model aircraft and that emphasize safe
aeromodelling operations within the national airspace system and
the protection and safety of individuals and property on the
ground, and may provide a comprehensive set of safety rules and
programming for the operation of unmanned aircraft that have the
advanced flight capabilities enabling active, sustained, and
controlled navigation of the aircraft beyond visual line of
sight of the operator;
Jan 20, 2020, 03:21 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I disagree about being too big to squash (whatever that means). Insurance is not a CBO requirement, but a safety program is and so far FT, not any other CBO hopeful, has published one.
Actually the FPV Freedom Coalition has published a set of Safety guidelines https://fpvfc.org/safety-guidelines And I am sure Flite Test is not far behind. FT also is involved in STEM https://www.ftstem.com/ Remember, the FAA has not officially recognized ANY CBO yet...
Latest blog entry: Test entry
Jan 20, 2020, 03:34 PM
You can see FliteTest's safety rules here:

https://www.edgewaterairpark.com/rules-and-safety/
Jan 20, 2020, 04:54 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinaman
You can see FliteTest's safety rules here:

https://www.edgewaterairpark.com/rules-and-safety/
Well, that's all well and good for their flying site. However, in my view it falls a bit short of the Congressional stipulation:

Quote:
``(4) provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for
all aspects of model aviation addressing the assembly and
operation of model aircraft and that emphasize safe
aeromodelling operations within the national airspace system and
the protection and safety of individuals and property on the
ground, and may provide a comprehensive set of safety rules and
programming for the operation of unmanned aircraft that have the
advanced flight capabilities enabling active, sustained, and
controlled navigation of the aircraft beyond visual line of
sight of the operator;
Jan 20, 2020, 04:55 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
Actually the FPV Freedom Coalition has published a set of Safety guidelines https://fpvfc.org/safety-guidelines And I am sure Flite Test is not far behind. FT also is involved in STEM https://www.ftstem.com/ Remember, the FAA has not officially recognized ANY CBO yet...
True enough, and as I keep spelling out the Congress defined very clearly what the requirements are. BY THE WAY - the FPV Coalition rules look nicely done for FPV. The real catch is going to be how the FAA interprets what a "provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for
all aspects of model aviation ..." means
Jan 20, 2020, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Well, that's all well and good for their flying site. However, in my view it falls a bit short of the Congressional stipulation:
Agreed.

Flite Test isn't exactly known for safety
Jan 20, 2020, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinaman
Flite Test isn't exactly known for safety
Really? I've not heard of any safety incidents, injuries, violations of regulations, or property damage aside from their own planes. Can you point to some?

Quick Reply