Jan 17, 2020, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Brushless motor struggling to spin when mounted on a stand

Hi,

My first post in this forum. Apologies if my question is lame. I tried to find the answer in other threads but I couldn't.

I have an ESC-HW30A connected to 1806-2400KV brushless motor. I am doing PWM modulation with NodeMCU (ESP8266). I can write different values to the ESC and starting from 70 up to hundred and something the motor is increasingly rotating freely, faster and faster. I am holding the motor with my fingers close to the cable sockets. All looks great.
Here is the problem though.
I 3D-printed a small flat stand for the motor and used the provided screws to mount it to the stand. When mounted, I run the same code from my NodeMCU and here is when it gets weird. The motor starts spinning when I write value "70" to the ESC but it is really struglling to spin properly and the whole stand starts vibrating. The speed of rotation is very slow and I can literally see the shaft rotating. When it gets to a value of "80" (I did a loop from 70 to 180 with step = 1 second), it just stops spinning.
The only difference as I said is that the motor is mounted to a stand with the provided screws. The screws don't touch the rotor of the motor so it is not struggling to spin because of that. The shaft is free on both sides as well. I am thinking that it may have something to do with higher current rate and some protection that may get triggered on the ESC?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Details:
Motor: 1806-2400KV
ESC: HW30A
Battery: 3S, 850mAh, 75C, 11.1V, 9.44Wh
Last edited by atanasm; Jan 17, 2020 at 08:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 09:04 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Check your mounting screws again. Sounds like you've damaged the windings.
Jan 17, 2020, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
I have two identical motors with two ESCs and both pairs behave the same way. I would say it is a faulty motor but if it stays loose in the air, it works fine. When it is not mounted, I noticed that it does a small "kick/flip" when I start it. When mounted, the stand absorbs the initial momentum and it can't flip. Maybe that's causing the motor to struggle...
Jan 17, 2020, 03:40 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by atanasm
I have two identical motors with two ESCs and both pairs behave the same way. I would say it is a faulty motor but if it stays loose in the air, it works fine. When it is not mounted, I noticed that it does a small "kick/flip" when I start it. When mounted, the stand absorbs the initial momentum and it can't flip. Maybe that's causing the motor to struggle...
I see. I didn't know you had more than one that behaved the same. I also didn't reealize you had removed it from the stand and that it again works. I've got no clue now, sorry.

Quick Reply