Covering Iron with an LCD Display

I'm always on the lookout for handy tools and gadgets in the RC hobby. Esprit Model recently picked up a new covering iron that looks very nice.

Splash

Cool New Covering Iron

I'm always on the lookout for handy tools and gadgets in the RC hobby. Esprit Model recently picked up a new covering iron that looks very nice. It's lightweight with a traditional shape and ergonomics.

The iron is coated with teflon to prevent scratches, but the killer feature here for me is the electronic temperature control with an LCD digital display. It shows Celsius and Fahrenheit and allows you to precisely adjust the temperature to get just the right amount of heat for your covering material of choice. They are available for sale right now for $42.00.

Check out the Covering Iron Here

Jan 16, 2020, 05:24 PM
Big gov never Works
If they come out with a trim iron, that would be great!
Jan 16, 2020, 08:20 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Anyone with any sort of covering experience is not going to require a temp readout...
This is not for me.
Jan 16, 2020, 09:51 PM
Yipeee ! inaccuracy.. to 3 decimal points. For the truly naive.
Jan 16, 2020, 09:56 PM
My "high tech" covering iron: Years ago the fine thread temp dial shaft stripped out. I threaded it with a 1/4"-20 die and pressed a blind nut into the iron. Very short adjustment range and backwards, but works fine.
Jan 16, 2020, 10:11 PM
Or current resident
Is it a smart iron that comes with a phone app to monitor temp and run time?
Sorry, but sometimes it's best to just say no and leave the tech stuff out of simple tools.
Jan 17, 2020, 03:56 AM
Big gov never Works
I agree..I would just replace my 30+yr old TF trim iron with another, if needed.
Jan 17, 2020, 07:15 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
I’ve been using Coverite’s curved shoe iron for years and love it. I can’t tell from pictures if it has a curved shoe or flat like the Top Flight? If it has a curved shoe it would make a nice replacement.

Regarding the LCD readout for temperature control. Not sure it’s that useful with a sock on the shoe. Most times you adjust the “dial” and do tests on a scrap to set the heat.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Jan 17, 2020, 08:56 AM
Not Insane
Yeah, seems like a digital sock is what's really needed. Dan
Jan 17, 2020, 10:44 AM
Big gov never Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath
Yeah, seems like a digital sock is what's really needed. Dan
Now I would buy some of those!
Jan 17, 2020, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
Anyone with any sort of covering experience is not going to require a temp readout...
This is not for me.
I have tons of experience and I LOVE it.
Jan 17, 2020, 12:04 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model
Any pictures of the bottom? Is it flat like the old Top Flight or curved like the Coverite iron?
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Jan 17, 2020, 03:54 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model
I would bet you would...
however, no self respecting hobbyist would purchase this novelty.
Jan 18, 2020, 12:36 AM

i can see the uses

if you are working on large scale project with seconite, or another real aircraft covering, the procedure to shrink is very specific, first pass at X temp, then a second final pass at Y temp I could see this being very good, better than the iron I stole from my ex-wife when she saw how much I spend on planes......
Jan 18, 2020, 04:23 AM
Big gov never Works
Hmm. what did we do when there was no digital, only analog? Kover-All is just a light grade of Ceconite/polyester. Just a thermometer and a marking pen. Most irons will not get woven polyesters hot enough for the set pass. The old Mono-Kote irons will. Just remove the knob and turn the screw inside to the left to increase the heat range. The monokote irons were originally packing irons used in the food industry. They had to be used fast to avoid cooking the product. Then TF had the design changed for modeling.

Fuzz

Quick Reply