Some of My Favorite Horizon Planes of 2019

I go through some of my favorite Horizon planes from the past year with links to the full reviews and builds.

Splash

Favorite Horizon Birds of 2019 - Jim T. Graham

The Horizon team has been churning out great airplanes all year long (and other great RC products). Here are some of the planes I have been lucky enough to get my hands on, build, fly, and analyze. The dev team works hard to make sure these planes build easy and fly well. Any of the planes I mention below will put a smile on your face! Enjoy...

The AeroScout

This is a great plane and the amazing part is that it's as fun for a first-time pilot as it is for an experienced pilot. With SAFE selected you can have an amazing tame plane on your hands. Take it to the furthest extreme and the AeroScout will actually perform some moderately wild maneuvers. When you add FPV to the mix you can have even more fun. This is where the AeroScout shines because the SAFE is an onboard safety system that will allow you to get things back in order if needed. PLUS the landing gear allows for some super fun take-offs and landings. This is a winning bird!

LINK TO FULL REVIEW

RCGroups.com AeroScout S 1.1m RTF Flight Review (13 min 40 sec)

EC-1500 Twin 1.5m

What a plane!! Big, bold and power to spare. This is the kind of plane that will not only get attention on the ground but will make their jaws drop when you pour on the power in the air. Throw in the LED nav lights, the servo-controlled cargo door, and the ability to add multiple cameras and you have a big, full-featured RC plane. It doesn't hurt that it's one of the easiest planes I have put together all year. Good looking!

LINK TO FULL REVIEW

EC-1500 Flight Review - RCGroups.com (9 min 58 sec)

E-flite Timber X

A super easy to build plane, with a decent wingspan and the ability to do most 3D maneuvers - winner! This bird has big flaps and BIG ailerons. I love a fast roll rate and this thing has it! The Horizon team has worked hard to increase power and the ability to run a 4 S in just about any of their new offerings really opens up the flight envelope. My Timber did not like landing in tall weeds but that is really my only complaint (and not a very big one). This is the Timber to own...or maybe the Turbo Timber.

LINK TO FULL REVIEW

Timber X 1.2m - RCGroups Overview Video (6 min 52 sec)

Turbo Timber 1.5m

The Timber is such a huge success as a plane. The original Timber thread has close to 1.5 million views! The question in 2020 is which Timber is right for you? That, of course, depends on what you are looking for. If it's 3D capabilities then the Timber-X is the obvious choice BUT if you want a fully modded out Timber then I would introduce you to the Turbo Timber. It flies well on a 3 cell or a 4 cell and has a lot of upgrades from the original Timber. Plus, it looks cool! Read the review for all the details.

LINK TO FULL REVIEW

E-flite Turbo Timber 1.5m BNF - Open Box and Flight Review (17 min 43 sec)

E-flite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF

I love a Pitts. The first airplane I ever saw and immediately fell in love with was a red Pitts. I was 5 years old at an airshow in Texas. The Pitts has always held a special place in my heart, right next to Gee Bee. When Horizon came out this Pitts I had to have one. The flying manners did not disappoint. Attaching the wing struts was a lesson in patience but that was the only issue I had with the build. This plane has great manners and if you have a hankering for biplane this one will scratch your itch!

LINK TO FULL REVIEW

E-Flite Pitts S-1S 850mm BNF Basic Unboxing, Build, Fly - RCGroups Review (23 min 43 sec)

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jan 16, 2020 at 11:19 AM..
Jan 31, 2020, 01:57 AM
AeroScout FTW!
Jan 31, 2020, 08:27 AM
I think the 70mm F-16 was released last year, and I would place that above the Pitts. Same with the P-39, not because the Pitts is awfull in anyway, but In my opionion it was just ok compared to the two others. Would love to get my hands on a Timber X one day, that thing looks like a huge amount of fun.
Jan 31, 2020, 09:37 AM
No, the 70mm https://www.horizonhobby.com/f-16-th...lect-p-efl7850
Feb 08, 2020, 04:17 PM
No hand launch models as a favorite?
Feb 08, 2020, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
I didn't personally have one this time.
Feb 11, 2020, 10:59 AM
We were kinda disappointed with the Pitts 850. Our field ended up liking the UMX Pitts better.

Quick Reply