Jan 15, 2020, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Please help servo issues

I just built a scratch built flite test FT Racer, and the servos are not working (as in: they do not respond to the gimbal movements on the controller). At first, they were twitching but now just do not move (though they do have power) I think it may be an issue with the receiver but I do not know for sure. The receiver is a spektrum ar620 and the transmitter is a Spekrum DX6e. The servos are ESO8 MA II, with one right aileron, one left aileron, a rudder and an elevator. Can anyone tell me how to fix these issues?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2020, 05:02 AM
Neophyte hacker
Please bear with me as these are basic questions.

First, are they plugged in the right way? You can just turn around the plug to check if the markings are not visible on the receiver.

If everything is hooked up right then do you have a way to check the receiver and transmitter? Have you bound the receiver to the transmitter? Is the transmitter far enough away from the plane? Do you get the ESC 'beeps' that say the proper connection is made?

If those are correct you may just have bad receivers. It happens more often than you would think. Servo testers are also very inexpensive if you want to buy one to check the servos separately.

charlie

PS welcome to the forum.
Jan 16, 2020, 10:04 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
I was having issues with servos that sound similar. I was about ready to send two receivers off for repair when I decided to try a different battery. New battery solved the problem. Old batt was weak and I just didn't realize it.

Tony
Jan 16, 2020, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPfingston
I was having issues with servos that sound similar. I was about ready to send two receivers off for repair when I decided to try a different battery. New battery solved the problem. Old batt was weak and I just didn't realize it.

Tony
That's what I was thinking. I have an old NiCd battery and test receiver on the bench. Digital servos will start out twitching like the OP stated, when the voltage is low. Troubleshooting suggests that he should have at least tried another charged battery and different ESC (if he's testing with an ESC) to eliminate a BEC issue.
Jan 16, 2020, 07:52 PM
Pro Hoarder
Correct voltage battery?
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 16, 2020, 08:05 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Correct voltage battery?
I don't really understand it. I'm am most assuredly not an electronics engineer. I was trying to set up my receivers using an old 4 cell Nimh battery pack. I didn't realize that it wasn't holding its power at all. Just a couple of servos was pulling it down too far (actually the receiver alone was pulling it down too much). The pack was connected directly to the receivers with a switch harness. When I disconnected the old pack and used a fully charged lipo pack powering through an ESC, the receivers bound to the transmitter immediately and servo action was just what it was supposed to be.

Go figure. To me its all FM and works with Magic Smoke!

Tony
Jan 16, 2020, 09:39 PM
Pro Hoarder
Even a "Good "4 cell Nimh can cause trouble under a load
Latest blog entry: In flight

Quick Reply