Oct 09, 2020, 08:03 AM
Reap the wild wind
I've got to the bottom of the prop spinner.
The motor has a threaded shaft that has what looks like an allen bolt in the end (see image of mine) This isn't what holds on the spinner though. The spinner is held on by a bolt that screws into the nut that holds the prop in place.
Esky are sending me a free replacement spinner assembly but in the meantime I do have a suitable nut but she'll have to be spinnerless for now
Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Oct 10, 2020 at 02:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2020, 06:04 PM
I'm All Thumbs
Thanks for posting that Andy.
Gotta say though, from what I can see the allen bolt on the motor shaft does nothing but take up space.
Looks like the spinner 'nut' is actually holding the propeller yoke in place.
Not an elegant solution IMO.
I had a brief look @ replacing the OE motor/prop combo, looks like surgery is required.
On another note, I did find a spray paint for styrofoam here in the states. It's called plutoniumpaint & provides for the use of varying spray heads (sold separately) for different applications. I'm interested in trying it out.
Skies
Jay
Oct 10, 2020, 02:59 AM
Reap the wild wind
At least the Esky arrangement is better than a collet style folding prop arrangement. The three vanes built into the motor and the vented spinner should ensure plenty of cooling. Not much of an issue for me as it's destined to spend most of it's time slopeside.
Please post your thoughts on the paint if you try it
Andy
Oct 10, 2020, 05:54 AM
Multiplex sell a specific primer for EPP and their Elapor (a blend of EPS and EPP):

https://sloughrc.com/multiplex-multi...lapor-epp.html

I suspect this would work well on EPO foam, although I've not tried it myself.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Oct 19, 2020, 06:14 AM
Just received mine and a build review decals are already applied, set up individual aieliron and V tail put flaps on Y lead at this stage Oh no transit damage wings were in a separate inner box and all parts double bubble wrap .
I sanded a small radius on the leading edge of the spars for easier insertion, the right side horizontal stab is a little concerned as I am not confident that the contact pins are fully engaged in the socket as when I fit it together first time I had no signal ,but after a wiggle it came good ,the stab did click in I will have to have a better look at this , the wings plugged in easy but firm ,
I am going to use a 3000 4s pack as I have two and from a trial fit I won't get anything bigger in the space due to the width , a quick CG check it looks on the suggested spot , there is a space in front of the battery to put some additional weight of necessary. I am going to use a rubber band around the fuse/canopy .I had to adjust one aieliron push rod and it looks like the screws are tork heads .
I have set up rates on elevator, aileron,three positions Flaps .
Our field (grass) is quite long so I will leave Crow braking for after maiden,I must say the fuse is really solid and no flex whatsoever you can see the CF rods on the batter bay , I am going to put some stripes on the bottom of the wing using wing tape but will most likely paint the outer area of the wing tips ,will report on maiden on Wednesday night after maiden
Oct 19, 2020, 04:29 PM
Reap the wild wind
My wings were double bubble wrapped, packed inside a single wall cardboard box and inside the main box. That didn't stop one flap surface from being mashed up.
I did a bit of light sanding on the spars and servo connectors. The main spar in the right hand panel was particularly tight and initially wouldn't go all the way home. I pulled and pushed it a few times and that go it all the way in. Not sure it's coming out again though!
I had to adjust one of my flap linkages on mine but no biggy.
Can you let me know what 4s lipo pack you are using as the biggest one I can squeeze in there is a 1800 mAh? Even then it has to go back a bit to allow the canopy to fit properly and that means more lead to needed to achieve balance.
I hope to get chance to fly my again soon. Esky sent the replacement spinner assembly and it only took 4 days and that was over a weekend. Great service
Andy
Oct 22, 2020, 05:17 AM

Issue of which battery fits.

The wooden tray the battery rests on is fixed into the foam sides. I used a very small mini razor saw to cut the wood bits that fit into the foam, remove this tray. There is another wood tray covering the ESC lower down which can be used to hold the battery, put some velcro on that. My Turnigy 3200mAh  4S  30 to 60C  338g       139 x 45 x 29mm fits perfect right up to the front, the hatch will close no problem.
Oct 26, 2020, 02:57 AM
I bought one of the gliders and I believe its the best quality foam aircraft I have owned.
The foam is very dense and strong and the airframe design looks fantastic. The turnigy 3300 30-40c battery fits perfect and balances to the
recommended point.
Weather hasn't allowed a maiden yet but I am looking forward to it.
Oct 26, 2020, 03:34 AM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barandbrew
........The turnigy 3300 30-40c battery fits perfect and balances to the
recommended point...
This one?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...html?wrh_pdp=3
Oct 26, 2020, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Yes Thats the battery I have
Oct 26, 2020, 04:00 PM
Hi,
I'm in the process of setting up this plane and I've a few questions :
- What the recommended trows for control surfaces and flaps ?
- My flaps are bent and it's pretty much impossible to have them aligned with the ailerons and the "airfoil" on the fuselage. Any advise to straighten them ?
Nico
Oct 26, 2020, 06:02 PM
Reap the wild wind
Rates are a personal thing especially expo but here are mine.
I'm still using my Spektrum DX8 which has tripple rates percentages set up as follows:-
Aileron
L M H
Rates 60 85 125
Expo 20 25 35

Elevator

Rates 75 100 115
Expo 15 20 25

Rudder
Rates 75 85 100
Expo 15 20 25

Servo throws are set on 100% but I'll increase the aileron to 150% as rolls are slooooow!

Flaps are set up at low 65% with 9% down elevator compensation and high 150% with down elevator compensation of 20%. They are set up to descend over .5 second to avoid too much of a pitch change. With full flaps the model slows down well and remains perfectly stable.
Whilst the foam is super dense I'm finding the wings brittle. I've already broken the end of a wing tip just transporting them (in the bubble wrap)
If the wings were moulded EPP then I'd suggest using hot water (not boiling) to straighten them out but I'm not sure if the foam (EPO?) would survive that method.
Tomorrow I'll post a video of mine slope flying in 15-25 mph winds from which you'll see how the flaps work. I didn't get the final landing as the camera battery went flat before I'd walked up to the flatter area at the backside of the slope.
Andy
Oct 27, 2020, 03:23 AM
Reap the wild wind
Slope flight from yesterday. The motor was only used at launch
Esky Albratross slope soaring in decent winds (4 min 51 sec)
Oct 29, 2020, 01:53 AM
Got the maiden in today westerly winds that flatten thermals here ,however managed to catch a couple, thermals well with 5deg flaperons.
needed more up trim than i thought will move the battery back and try again . It is not a speed demon though.
Overall very happy however I would like some help , I cant work out how to mix down trim in with the flaps every time I try I stuff the v tail mix.
Using a taranis x9d any help would be much appreciated .
Last edited by Barandbrew; Oct 29, 2020 at 02:33 AM.
Oct 29, 2020, 03:12 AM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barandbrew
Got the maiden in today westerly winds that flatten thermals here ,however managed to catch a couple, thermals well with 5deg flaperons.
needed more up trim than i thought will move the battery back and try again . It is not a speed demon though.
Overall very happy however I would like some help , I cant work out how to mix down trim in with the flaps every time I try I stuff the v tail mix.
Using a taranis x9d any help would be much appreciated .
Worth checking out the full house motor glider profiles here
https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/esoarplus/
That's what I plan to use when I move my models across to my Radio Master TX16S
Andy

Quick Reply