Scratch Built RC Ultralight Trike

OK, this is pretty darn cool. Howard Lavalette wanted to build an Ultralte Trike and looked for suitable plans all over the internet. When he came up short, he decided to start scratch building one solely based on photos he could find on the internet.

Splash

Impressive Trike Build

OK, this is pretty darn cool. Howard Lavalette wanted to build an Ultralte Trike and looked for suitable plans all over the internet. When he came up short, he decided to start scratch building one solely based on photos he could find on the internet. The results speak for themselves, it looks fantastic!

He made the mount for the motor and servos from plastic and the model looks like something you would buy right off the shelf. It's very well made and I look forward to seeing his flight report once it takes to the air. Great work Howard!

Have any of you ever scratch built an RC ultralite or paraglider? I'd love to see what you have come up with.

Jan 15, 2020, 11:38 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Very Nice!

Here's an earlier RCGroups Review of a similar design.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...latform-Review

I don't believe the HawkEye is available anymore, but you may be able to get some additional ideas from the design.

Keep up the great work!

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jan 15, 2020, 01:41 PM
Mia -Micro flight makes some really cool kits for UltraLight aircraft!....
Jan 15, 2020, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortechz230
Mia -Micro flight makes some really cool kits for UltraLight aircraft!....
MIA-ultralight has some very cool stuff!
Jan 16, 2020, 04:34 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
MIA has cool-looking stuff, but from everything I have found and comments from other customers, they are not a pleasant build, have zero support, and I have not come across any happy customers that would repeat business.

You will find several informative threads on MIA right here on RCG if you dig a little...
Jan 16, 2020, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
MIA has cool-looking stuff, but from everything I have found and comments from other customers, they are not a pleasant build, have zero support, and I have not come across any happy customers that would repeat business.

You will find several informative threads on MIA right here on RCG if you dig a little...
I agree, very hard to deal with. Super slow to ship and customer service is horrible. Ill never buy anything from them again.
Jan 16, 2020, 08:27 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
That confirms...

MIA = Not an Option = Save your $$$$
Jan 17, 2020, 09:15 AM
My mate had been scratch building true weight shift rc microlights for quite a few years now.

He has some videos up on YouTube, I’d even go as far as to say he was the first to ever get a a true weight shift scratch built and flying. He had some issues with another gentlemen copying his design and then taking credit so he stopped putting as many videos up and went back to quietly working away on his designs privately.

His 2 currently flying designs are awesome as the pilots are fully moving and contain the servos for the arms to steer the model and the helmets contain a fpv cam on pan and tilt.

I’ve been telling him for years he should have produced kits but he never wanted to.
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Jan 17, 2020 at 09:28 AM.
Jan 18, 2020, 11:56 AM
scale microlights
Cheers mark,
yeah mario of mia rc is a cancer on this hobby,
Runs down peoples designs on forums and then copies them as soon as they succeed in doing what hes failed to.
He threatened to sue me for telling the truth and providing evidence to back it up lol
Check out the rc autogyro forums as hes done the same there, even got banned from rc groups and kept coming back under other fake names,
A real nutcase and best to steer clear of him.

Anyway enough of mario.

That microlight is looking fantastic, done a real good job there!
Looking forward to seing videos of it
Heres my thread i started on my one
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-rc-microlight

Cheers,mark
Jan 18, 2020, 01:03 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
You may want to double check the history on the RCG/ MIA affiliation.

I see no evidence of them splitting ways, banning MIA or trying to dissociate themselves from Mario in any way.... In fact, Jason Cole wrote an Article on MIA to showcase their product as recently as April 2019. I am sure there are many more examples of MIA and RCG working together.
Jan 18, 2020, 03:38 PM
scale microlights
Well that was just what i heard off other members of rcg so i cant say if thats true one way or another,
The fact that he copies other peoples designs isnt up for debate,
Fair enough these designs arent patented but its just not common decency to claim a design as your own when he knows full well he copied them,
Then polluting youtube with 'worlds first' and 'worlds most realistic' videos off the back of other peoples hard work is just disrespectful,

Hes a narcissist and best avoided as i mentioned earlier
Jan 19, 2020, 06:57 PM
Mark675 is 100% correct about MIA...not a nice person to run across.He was kicked of the autogyro pages of RCG and then posted under a different name !
He claims to have just about everything!
Happy Landings
Chris...
Jan 19, 2020, 08:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Was that before or after the RCG articles??
Jan 20, 2020, 01:28 AM
I am not aware of the timing of the articles ,but it was approx five years ago...give or take.
Chris...
Jan 21, 2020, 03:30 AM
scale microlights
Yeah his history of ripping people off and making money from it just shows he's not here to benefit the model community hes just here to make money however he can.
He only gets business off people who dont know what hes like and judging by the comments above even they wont be going back again..

Anyway, apologies to the op for all this about mario and mia microflight,
Not meaning to bring down this thread but people need warning of him.

As i said before the microlight is looking great
If i could advise one thing it would be that it will most likely need an 'A frame' and side flying wires or bars to stop the wing just changing shape as soon as it starts to get lift.
If you look at real hang gliders or microlights, there's cables all over them, all of them doing the job of taking flying loads or landing loads.
They are critical to keep predictable handling (by keeping the wing shape) and wing strength

Keep us updated please

Mark

Quick Reply