Jan 15, 2020, 01:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Does anybody else fall in love with their engines?

Do any of you feel the same way as I do about some of your engines? Over-protective perhaps?

Let me tell you a little story. I do a fair bit of instructing and have or had two i/c trainers and an electric foamie with which to teach beginners. One of the i/c trainers is something called a Primary 40 an eminently forgetable ARTF trainer powered by an Irvine 40, the other was a Seagull Boomerang, my favourite ARTF trainer BTW, powered by an Enya 50. This is a lovely engine and fitted with the Q silencer it sounds lovely too! The problem with teaching beginners is that you go through about five stages before they are competent to fly on their own.

To begin with you are for ever taking back control on the buddy box as their turns become spiral dives!

The second stage occurs when they are not making so many mistakes but in a ten minute flight you may have to take back control three or four times.

By the time they reach the third stage they are capable of flying basic circuits and horizontal eights but sometimes get into trouble so you have to take back control.

The fourth stage is the most dangerous stage. They can usually fly for ten minutes and when they make a mistake they are usually capable of correcting the mistake themselves. I stress the word usually. What happened in my case was that my trainee made a mistake, I allowed him the time to correct it but he made a horlicks of the correction I gave him a little more time, but before I could regain control the model had smashed itself into the ground. Fortunately the mighty Enya seemed to be undamaged.

The fifth stage by the way, is when they have passed a nationally recognised certificate of competence such as the British A Certificate or the French Brevet A. You can kiss them good bye then. They can fly on their own!

Sooooooooo about six years ago the wing departed from my Telemaster 40. The fuselage turned itself into a lawn dart and was only any good for firewood! 😂 For Christmas I treated myself to a pair of floats. They turned out to be too small for my Senior Telemaster so I decided to build another Telemaster 40, as I still have some structurally sound wings and I plan to build it so that it may be flown from either floats or wheels and be used in training mode as a replacement for the Boomerang.

I have a number of unemployed fourstrokes including three Laser 70s, sleeping in their boxes. Initially I thought of fitting one of those to the T40 but then I thought that if I had a repetition of the Boomerang event, one of my beloved Lasers could be wrecked!

A few years ago I bought an Enya 45 and two OS 40s at a swap meet for 5Ä (£4.28 Sterling or $5.57 US). I decided to fit one of those to the Telemaster 40 and managed to get two of them going on the test stand earlier this morning. They ran very well but they require a strap on silencer. I fitted a BCM silencer but it didn't and oh the noise! 🙄

Doesn't anybody make a decent strap-on silencer anymore?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2020, 02:44 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
If you can find a Davis Soundmaster muffler, they are strap type and have a pleasant exhaust note. Probably a little heavy, but they’re a nice muffler.
Jan 15, 2020, 03:17 AM
Thread OP
Do you have a link to their business?
Jan 15, 2020, 04:41 AM
Still gassin' it.
Yup... I fall in love with most engines I buy new, and several of the ones that are sent to me for fuel changeover. I particularly remember the start of the romance with the ASP .52 and .30 FS, the Boxer and the radial, and most every SuperTigre sent to me. Sad thing is the SuperTigres all went back to their owner…

That's the nice thing about it, somebody sends you a beloved engine, lets you touch it and is grateful that you did…
Jan 15, 2020, 05:05 AM
Thread OP
I'm more concerned about having one of my beautiful Lasers wrecked by some ham fisted beginner if I don't take back control quickly enough.
Jan 15, 2020, 10:08 AM
I kind of have a thing going for Rossis. Not sure why. It is pretty easy to make a strap on muffler with a similar size bolt on one and a narrow worm clamp. Just bolt from the sides instead of the face. Sometimes a locating edge or hole is needed. A screw protruding 1/16" into a dimple or whatever. I have some strapping that is a spring steel about .024" thick and 3/4" wide that can be trimmed and bent for straps. (and throttle control horns) I use a hand held punch that makes 1/8" to 1/4" hole in it that works well for that strapping. Better than a drill anyway. Whatever it takes. Sometimes you can find a header or pipe that works.
Jan 15, 2020, 10:32 AM
i do enjoy a nicely made machine.
Jan 15, 2020, 10:49 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
Do you have a link to their business?
I donít think theyíve been made for a long time. They come up on eBay or the classifieds every so often. Iíll post a picture of the ones I have after work.
Jan 15, 2020, 11:35 AM
I've enjoyed many engines but one stands out as exceptionally valued and enjoyed.

Ironically, it was a hate / love relationship. I first hated the thing. It would snap the dickens out of my finger tips, literally eat paint rollers, required a 24v starter, gobble fuel, and slime the model severely.

It was disliked so much it was taken out of service and shelved, until several years after retiring and commissioning a Cub that had been laid in while still enjoying a full pay check. The Cub deserved four stroke sound that the horrible engine could provide but nothing would persuade me to change my mind about it, unless it was converted to gas.

With spark ignition and on gas, the dislikes evaporated. It starts easily by hand with no kicking. It's guzzling days are gone. The slime is gone. It was transformed into a delight and now the favorite engine in my fleet. It is a Saito 125a converted to gas... now having logged 137 fantastic flights powering the Cub with nary a dead stick or needle tweak in more than 100 flights.
Jan 15, 2020, 11:48 AM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
I really became attached to the Saito FA-125. A very nice engine. Starts easily with the back flip method, idles well and makes good power. It is now my favorite large Saito single, a very versatile, stable, well behaved engine. I wouldn't change a thing.
Jan 15, 2020, 12:03 PM
These days I struggle with BNIB engines........ I just can't bring myself to run them !!

Case in point, I converted a Mini Ultra Stick from electric to IC and wanted to fit it with a 30 four stroke, at the time I had a new Saito 30 in stock but just could not use it, they are so jewel like when new.

I know this is really stupid but I managed to find a used Saito 30 to fit instead, so as not to deflower my BNIB one !!
Jan 15, 2020, 12:34 PM
I have had my only love affair with an OS 40 FSR. What a great running engine. Muffler had a tendency to break in a "hard landing" . Always wondered why OS did not continue to make this icon of 2S engines.
Jan 15, 2020, 12:43 PM
Whoever heard of falling in love with an engine? It's just a chunk of stupid metal. The whole idea is silly and nonsensical.

Unless of course, if the engine happens to be a Fox, well; that's totally understandable.

Carl
Jan 15, 2020, 12:50 PM
i kinda have a crush on my os ft-120-ii. she's got a nice set of jugs.
Jan 15, 2020, 01:27 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
Do any of you feel the same way as I do about some of your engines? Over-protective perhaps?

Let me tell you a little story. I do a fair bit of instructing and have or had two i/c trainers and an electric foamie with which to teach beginners. One of the i/c trainers is something called a Primary 40 an eminently forgetable ARTF trainer powered by an Irvine 40, the other was a Seagull Boomerang, my favourite ARTF trainer BTW, powered by an Enya 50. This is a lovely engine and fitted with the Q silencer it sounds lovely too! The problem with teaching beginners is that you go through about five stages before they are competent to fly on their own.

To begin with you are for ever taking back control on the buddy box as their turns become spiral dives!

The second stage occurs when they are not making so many mistakes but in a ten minute flight you may have to take back control three or four times.

By the time they reach the third stage they are capable of flying basic circuits and horizontal eights but sometimes get into trouble so you have to take back control.

The fourth stage is the most dangerous stage. They can usually fly for ten minutes and when they make a mistake they are usually capable of correcting the mistake themselves. I stress the word usually. What happened in my case was that my trainee made a mistake, I allowed him the time to correct it but he made a horlicks of the correction I gave him a little more time, but before I could regain control the model had smashed itself into the ground. Fortunately the mighty Enya seemed to be undamaged.

The fifth stage by the way, is when they have passed a nationally recognised certificate of competence such as the British A Certificate or the French Brevet A. You can kiss them good bye then. They can fly on their own!

Sooooooooo about six years ago the wing departed from my Telemaster 40. The fuselage turned itself into a lawn dart and was only any good for firewood! �� For Christmas I treated myself to a pair of floats. They turned out to be too small for my Senior Telemaster so I decided to build another Telemaster 40, as I still have some structurally sound wings and I plan to build it so that it may be flown from either floats or wheels and be used in training mode as a replacement for the Boomerang.

I have a number of unemployed fourstrokes including three Laser 70s, sleeping in their boxes. Initially I thought of fitting one of those to the T40 but then I thought that if I had a repetition of the Boomerang event, one of my beloved Lasers could be wrecked!

A few years ago I bought an Enya 45 and two OS 40s at a swap meet for 5€ (£4.28 Sterling or $5.57 US). I decided to fit one of those to the Telemaster 40 and managed to get two of them going on the test stand earlier this morning. They ran very well but they require a strap on silencer. I fitted a BCM silencer but it didn't and oh the noise! ��

Doesn't anybody make a decent strap-on silencer anymore?
First of all I am not getting your point about falling in love with an engine. You seemed to be rambling a bit about teaching others how to fly and their stages of learning more than about the reason for falling in love with an engine. Then you went on to talk about your collection but you never mentioned anything about the reasons if there is any about you falling in love with your engine besides the Enya being a "lovely" engine. Personally if I am in love with an engine I will never let a beginner touch it. So please clarify your point better if you want more intelligent discussion. Otherwise you are just getting a lot of chaff with no meat to the discussion.

Maybe if you can explain yourself a bit more precisely then we can discuss about the reasons for falling in love with an engine. People fall in love with their machinery for various reasons. Nostalgia, appreciation for certain engineering, or just plain hoarding.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-those-Rossi-s

Quick Reply