This thread is privately moderated by papamac, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 15, 2020, 12:57 AM
Trader Rating: 182
Thread OP
$123,456.00 USD
Buyer pays shipping
For Sale

D & B model co. P-40 kit

Does anyone know about D & B model co.? I acquired a P-40 kit made by them, nice kit, fiberglass fuselage, foam core wings. Any value in this?
Last edited by papamac; Jan 15, 2020 at 11:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2020, 05:51 AM
Ldm
Trader Rating: 16
Ldm
Ldm
I remember the brand, nice kits ! As far as value, even kit has value , it depends on whose buying and why !
If your planning on selling it , obviously I suggest showing the model parts.
We live in a ARF world , so you have to attract the builders or the ARFs willing to take a plunge !
Jan 15, 2020, 06:05 AM
Trader Rating: 79
PM,d you,yes need pictures of the parts?
Jan 15, 2020, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
Not planning on selling it yet. I am hoping to get more information like what years were they in business or someone who’s built one that can share some knowledge or companies that might have plans for it, it has the rolled plans but it is quite fragile on the ends.
Jan 15, 2020, 08:39 AM
Trader Rating: 332
These were around in the mid 70's and just into the 80's.gel coated poly fiberglass fuse were heavy compared to epoxy glass.they had a ducted fan t-2 buckeye ducted fan kit for the scozzi unit just before they went out.I have 2 of their corsair kits.
Jan 15, 2020, 08:56 AM
Trader Rating: 140
AMA 72859 Build Baby, Build!
Flying Models Magazine did a review of the kit back in the 70's. Not sure which issue, but it's on the cover.

Found it. June 1977
Last edited by ww2collector; Jan 15, 2020 at 09:22 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 11:16 AM
Trader Rating: 43
I built the corsair back in the 70's. Fuse weighed a ton. tons of excess gel coat in the tail. Flying weight after balance was 14 1/2 lbs. It actually flew OK but all landings were controlled crashes. I then scrapped the whole fuse and tail section and scratch built a Brian Taylor Corsair fuse and tail section. The wing acutually fit quite well. New flying weight was 10 1/2 lbs. It flew great and won a couple of local scale contest.
Enjoy your kit.
Thanks,
Fred
Jan 15, 2020, 11:29 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info guys. I planned on grinding out some of the excess gel because there is a lot in the cowl and tail but the rest seems to be like any other fiberglass fuse I have dealt with.
Last edited by papamac; Jan 17, 2020 at 08:04 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
Pics from the guy I got it from added
Jan 15, 2020, 01:06 PM
Trader Rating: 13
Interesting find and it likely adds a few more details to what we know/remember about D & B Model Co.

The end box label adds new information for me.
I had known that the principals of D & B were Gene Dubois and Norm Berger but the "components from Fliteglass" is new to me. Also the company location listed on this box label of New Bedfort, Mass. is different from the Mentor, Ohio location I've seen on other D & B literature. Perhaps what you have is an early venture of the company. If you have the instructions, they likely list a location and a date.

I bought their A6M2 Model 21 Zero in 1980 and my notes say the list price at that time was $125 U.S. The instructions have a February, 1974 date.
Here's a link someone else's D & B Zero kit:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post36927899
and shows much same the components...…. the cowl in zero kit was vacuum formed plastic (a disappointment) and while D & B kits were "deluxe"... full hardware package, etc., mine did not come with retracts and I suspect the original kit owners added the Rhom Air retracts to their acquired kits.

I agree with the concern around weight. My Zero kit literature has listed model weights of 6.25 to 7.25 lbs. but also an AUW of 8.5 lbs".... at a wing area of 604 square inches that auw translates to a simple wing loading of 32.5oz/sqft and a more model size comparable cubic loading of 15.8, which the Ampeer.org newsletter discussion of cubic wing loadings puts into the "expert" class, above advanced sport and below advanced expert.
I would also try to trim weight down as you suggest..... I would go with 1/32" balsa wing sheeting on the wing cores, replace the sheeted foam core stab with built up balsa construction, ditch the fiberglass wing tips, etc.

I think that once larger two stroke engines - the .90/1.08 OS and the Supertigre 2000 series, etc. - became available scale WW 2 models transitioned to larger wing spans/wing areas and gained lighter wing loadings. For example RCM in 1984 published Dave Platt's 79" span/1100sqin wing area Zero for .90 to 1.5 engines

thanks for your information

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Jan 15, 2020, 01:51 PM
Trader Rating: 3
I picked up a D&B Corsair. It's a nice kit and waiting in the closet. I may sell mine at some point but until now, it was the only D&B I knew of.
Jan 15, 2020, 05:57 PM
Thread OP
I don’t have the box top for it, wish I did. The pic of the company and plane info is on the plans. I love to get ahold of an instruction manual for it. Are there companies that redo blueprints? This one is quite fragile
Jan 17, 2020, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
I am going to sell it, it is above my building skills as I haven’t built for years. Anyone interested in buying it?

Quick Reply