Jan 14, 2020, 11:20 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Discussion

DV Build 2020 - Two Peacemakers

Pleased to note that this proposal is acceptable - It`s going to be tough going operating from my temporary tin shed/oven. I`ll try not to disappoint. Not sure which is worse - the temperature or frustration of not finding essential stuff ....

Anyway, down to business. I chose the 'Peacemaker' for nostalgic reasons. The club boys decided we should revisit the CL circle and although I haven`t flown CL for many years, I do recall my Peacemaker with its huge ED Racer up front was a favorite way back then. Many years later I cobbled together a simple R/C version and that too was a memorable model...

Time now to revisit both.

As mentioned earlier, I did manage to unearth a barely legible original 'Aeromodeller' drawing and prepared my own building sketch from that . I increased the wingspan 4" by adding the 2" tips to 36" balsa stock, increased the chord a little, also the fuselage length, and then the stab until it looked right.....

At this time I have film covered the stab and started covering the wing. I intend to apply tissue to the balsa fuz with dope which will then be painted with a rattle-can..... Between times I will intend to pre-cut some bits for the R/C version which will immediately follow ....

Sundry pics attached.....

Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2020, 11:36 PM
B for Bruce
Yer on the list. Best of luck with making ALL of the stuff come together. Just remember to keep your projects separate and not end up ironing film on the house and cladding the Peacemaker with siding....
Jan 15, 2020, 11:28 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Nice looking runway in photo 4 there Alan!!!
Jan 16, 2020, 07:08 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Nice looking runway in photo 4 there Alan!!!
Long ways to go yet, George. Makes me tired just thinking about it..... After months of no rain, the drought has now broken - just when we want to erect the timber framing ....

A little more (CL) Peacemaker action today. Wing is now covered both sides. Applied dope to the fuz late afternoon - intend to tissue cover it tomorrow all going well. 'fiery' has done a job on the AM 25 in recent days - fitted a genuine NVA. We plan to bench-run it this weekend and then install.

I have a box-full of good fuel tanks hidden around here somewhere. Can`t find them and so faced with a custom soldering job for that in the next few days......

Have just learned that our local model shop has closed it
Jan 16, 2020, 04:21 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Have just learned that our local model shop has closed it
Permanent business decision or temporary due to the fires?
Jan 16, 2020, 04:56 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Permanent business decision or temporary due to the fires?
Something went astray with my previous post - it took itself away unfinished as I was still typing....

As I understand it, it is a permanent business decision - high rents and all that I guess. A pity though. Next nearest 'decent' model shop must be about 300 kms away.... Tough when all you need right now is a length of wire or a few bits of hardware to continue a job....

We`ve been luckier than many with the fires so far. No destruction in our immediate vicinity - a little haze in the morning and burning smell if the wind is in the right/wrong direction .... Still, there is plenty of bush around and things are exceedingly dry out there ...

Alan W
Jan 17, 2020, 05:49 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
It is sad when your local model shop closes, especially when, like me, you started out in model building with six or seven excellent model shops within a bus ride of home. By the time I left the UK in 2006 we had one "proper" model shop where you could pretty well be sure of getting anything you might need within a 50 mile radius. Needless to say, here in rural France, I have no retail model shop within reasonable driving distance and hence rely totally on the internet suppliers. There are several good ones who manage to supply all my needs although things like dope can be difficult and there is no real substitute for selecting your own balsa from a decent rack full, but it isn't like dropping into the hobby shop used to be for a few bits and pieces and a good old natter. I guess it is just an inevitable development of the situation where the shopping streets in every town centre seem to consist of chain coffee shops, estate agents and charity shops.
Jan 17, 2020, 01:31 PM
B for Bruce
Like most in this forum I grew up with a good assortment of hobby shops all within bicycle riding distance as a kid. I watched them close one by one as I got older.

I've got one decent enough shop in my area now if I only need hardware or wire. But it's strongly focused on RC cars, quad copter racing and ARF stuff without a sheet of balsa or even a balsa kit outside of the little Guillows sheet balsa chuck gliders. It's all down to mail order now....
Jan 18, 2020, 12:36 PM
Imagine growing up in India.
In the 60s, there was ONE firm in Calcutta, Aurora, that made Mills, AM, Frog, (later Kumar) engines, and Mercury kits.
They also had an outlet in Delhi, India Hobby Centre, wher we used to gawk at the displays.

The owner, Mr Suresh Kumar (RIP), was the father of aeromodelling in India.
He used to run annual competitions to SMAE rules
But for him there wouldn’t be any aeromodellers in India.

In the 70s, arose another engine maker, Sharma Model Aero.
They are still around and kicking at
http://sharmamodelaero.com

There are many online suppliers now.
But if I need some tiny little thing, I have to depend on my collection of junk.
And my wife, the supreme scrounger.
When all else fails, consult her.
That’s why she’s called the RC Aunt!
Jan 19, 2020, 05:57 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Another good day in Hervey Bay.... No action in the workshop, however we had a good session out the field. Too windy to fly and so 'fiery', Derek, and I had it pretty much to ourselves.

Derek had fitted my beat-up old AM 25 with the proper NVA and it ran great. This one earmarked for the CL 'Peacemaker' that has been progressing well. Flying surfaces are now film covered, tissue has applied to the profile fuz and next job is to apply primer to same before the final paint job. I`ll plan to post a pic or two within next day or so.

Separate from the AM 25 I had to mix up a litre of glow fuel in order to test-run the two glow engine options for the r/c version - an old SC 12 which was gummed up after last use about six years ago,and a little used, but well abused, Magnum XL 15 acquired a couple of years ago. With minimal heat applied to the SC 12 yesterday to free it up it was running as good as ever in no time today, as was the Magnum 15 after a fresh glow plug was fitted. Both engines have r/c carbs fitted, and also have their respective mufflers. Both share the same footprint so no engine decisions required at this time....

As yet I haven`t even started to carve any ribs for the r/c version, but I will intend to post more pics etc when it gets underway....

Alan W
Jan 27, 2020, 05:51 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Back again. Survived the long weekend ( Australia Day) and even managed a little Peacemaker build time.

The airframe for the CL version is now completed and painted. I`m reasonably happy with the build so far. Yet to fit engine, tank, U/C etc but that is not a big job and I`ll try and do that later today. Inasmuch that the balsa used for the profile fuselage has much in common with a Jarrah railway sleeper, I`ll be curious to measure the final model weight....

Somewhere around here I have a set of decals intended to dissipate the stark white wing top surface. I have spent ages trying to discover their safe storage space, and in complete frustration have now ordered a new set from my tame signwriter, 300 kms down the road .....

As posted earlier, last weekend we bench-ran a couple of glow contenders for the upcoming R/C version, an SC12 and a Magnum XL 15. Both engines ran well, but the12 volt battery in my old self-contained flight-box which hasn`t been used for nearly ten years is kaput. Because my battered old flight box was custom-built around that battery, I`m now faced with a fixit job there. I have acquired a new (used) battery - ex a mobility scooter, but it is larger than the existing dead item and so it seems a new flightbox will now be required to be added to the project....

Alan W
Jan 27, 2020, 07:22 PM
B for Bruce
These days I'd just replace the old 12V gel cell with a 3S Lipo pack of around 4000mah. It'll be a tenth the volume and lighten up the box by a heap. And with 4amp-hrs on tap you won't be able to fly enough in one day to use up the charge and put the pack at risk of a low charge condition. Glow plugs draw about 2.5 to 3 amps as I recall. That's a solid hour of glow time. And most of those old motorcycle batteries were only about 4 amp-hr anyway.

The plane is looking great! And yeah, some nice stickers will certainly dress it up. And I'm deliberately looking at the pics cross eyed to see double. I'll go back to not doing that when the other one is done....

Do you fly diesels down your way very much? I've got a 30 year old PAW .19 looking for a home. Might fit good in something like this.
Jan 27, 2020, 11:13 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Hi Bruce,

I suppose I could use a big lipo, but I have the other gear sitting here, including a good Hobbico power panel with fuel pump and 12 volt starter so thought I`d save the expense.... I moved on to electrics about ten years ago so the glow engines were sidelined around then. I sent off a few of them over the years but still retain a few ranging between OS 20 fourstrokes through to OS 120 on the off-chance I might dabble again sometime.

Since moving to Hervey Bay and meeting up with 'fiery' and a few other diesel enthusiasts over six years ago, the record will show I have been playing with diesel powered models almost solely since then. I still own and regularly fly the Mills .75 engine I bought new in 1958 for 3 pounds 2/6 - a month`s paper-round money at the time. I do have several PAW diesels in my collection - smallest is .55 cc and largest is a PAW 249 ( ex recent ill-fated Barnstormer that didn`t make it to OH Cowra 18 months back...). I don`t own a PAW 19 and could be interested ...... Maybe PM me on that ....?

I made a start on cutting ribs for the r/c PM this morning and also rounded up some material for the wing, but it`s now raining - and 32*C out there and humidity is horrendous so I`m shutting the workshop doors and will be in for a swim within the hour....

More tomorrow.....

Alan W
Jan 28, 2020, 11:27 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Managed to install the engine, tank,and mono wheel undercarriage late yesterday sp to all intents this one is ready for a test-flight. No hurry for that at this time, I`d like to get both of them, finished and test them both around the same time. Besides, I don`t consider it fully finished until the decals are applied....

This CL version tipped the scales at 550gms - (19.4oz)

Ribs are now cut for the r/c version and I`ll intend to start the wing lay-up tomorrow...

Alan W
Jan 29, 2020, 06:51 PM
B for Bruce
Perhaps a touch heavy by a couple of ounces from ideal? But even so it'll still be a great flyer at that weight. Neatly done!

OK... NEXT!

Quick Reply