Jan 14, 2020, 02:09 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

MZ-16/32 BlueTooth

So this morning I was playing around with the MZ-16 after installing the BT module. I love that I can hear the radio commands now thru my hearing aids, but then I saw this in the manual:

Note
The mz-16 can operate simultaneously with Bluetoothฎ however both use the same operating frequencies and therefore could interfere with each other.

So the question is.....am I risking an expensive plane by having it stream thru my BT hearing aids while flying? I would assume that with the radio hopping as it does, there wouldn't be a long enough conflict to have an effect on flying. But....I could be wrong.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2020, 03:11 PM
No issues with BT.

Now WiFi is a different thing and therefore it is switched off when RF is active.
Jan 14, 2020, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
That's great news, thanks! I assumed it wouldn't be a problem, but when I saw that note, I worried a bit. On all my radios that have wifi, I make sure it's always off unless I'm in the office doing an update.

I have to say I do LOVE the bluetooth thru the hearing aids! Using earbuds would do the same thing for someone, it's a big step up from the speakers on radios.
Jan 15, 2020, 04:48 AM
ned
ned
That’s useful information but did you have any trouble getting connected? I’ve fitted the BT module to my MZ-16 but can't get it to connect to my iPhone 6S or iPad Air, the Tx sees them but the they just put up a message saying the BT module is not supported. I haven’t managed to get hold of a phone later than an iPhone 7 to try so I’m wondering if it’s a version mis-match.
Jan 15, 2020, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
I didn’t try connecting to my iPhone so I can’t say. When I’ve paired the hearing aids to things, I generally have to try a few times before it actually connects. The radio took a couple attempts.

When I get home later, I’ll try pairing the MZ16 to the iphone, but it’s an 11. I think I’ve still got an iPhone 6 here someplace and can try that to compare results with yours.
Jan 15, 2020, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Okay, I had a delay so got a chance to try to pair the MZ-16 to my iPhone 11 and it's a "no go".

Multiple attempts yields the message "not compatible with Graupner HoTT BT4"

So, while it will apparently pair with my hearing aids, it won't with the iPhone. I don't have any BT earbuds to try so I can't say about that.
Jan 15, 2020, 10:16 AM
I am using BT earbuds with my MZ32 for a while and like them.
Here is what I am using and what I have tested.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d#post42820391
Last edited by yrag; Jan 15, 2020 at 10:34 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Good info, I might pick up a pair to use when I don't want the hearing aids on at the field. The wind occasionally hits them just right and makes an irritating sound. This would allow me to take them out and still be able to hear the radio. Thanks.
Jan 15, 2020, 12:25 PM
ned
ned
Thanks for trying your iphone 11, seems like an upgrade might not fix it after all! My wife got some sony BT headphones for christmas and i've just tried them and it connected no problem.

OK GraupnerUSA, why is the BT module not compatible with the biggest selling mobile phone?
Jan 15, 2020, 01:35 PM
Apple uses a different Bluetooth protocol.
That's maybe why you can't connect iPhone or iPad.
Jan 15, 2020, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned
Thanks for trying your iphone 11, seems like an upgrade might not fix it after all! My wife got some sony BT headphones for christmas and i've just tried them and it connected no problem.

OK GraupnerUSA, why is the BT module not compatible with the biggest selling mobile phone?
There are different application and usages. Check/read up on Bluetooth Profiles which might help you understand better.

Information is readily available. Here is one of the many resources.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...t-is-bluetooth
Last edited by yrag; Jan 15, 2020 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply