Mar 23, 2005, 04:46 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Thread OP
Yippee!

Scale Electric RC in Norway?

I've found out recently that my employer is moving me to Stavanger, Norway in August. I've seen a couple of EZone members from Norway, but I'd be interested in knowing who's out there; perhaps we can link up!

Ha det bra! (this is the only Norwegian I know so far!)

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hey Steve,
I'll be happy to take your place if you don't want to go
Rich
Mar 23, 2005, 09:33 PM
Thread OP
Rich,

Sorry, buddy, but I sucked up too long for this one to hand it over to anyone, even a fellow EZone member! I promise to write though.....

Steve
Mar 24, 2005, 04:17 PM
The only Norwegian expression I learned from my dad was (phonetically) "skolya danga dey?" it means "Do you want to go outside and fight?" Never found out what "oof dah!" meant. Norwegian is something like German, I can make out a few words in a Norwegian bible based on my high school German classes. Don't eat the Ludefisk!
Mar 24, 2005, 08:07 PM
People donŐt always eat lutefisk for the taste; they eat it as a rite of passage – a tradition to pass on to their children. ItŐs a reminder of the courage it took to come to America. Ludefisk is the Danish term Lutefisk is Norse.I did a quick search on this famous delicacy.As far as rc goes in Stavanger i understand that converting smoked herring to electric is the way to go . Good luck. Joe
Mar 24, 2005, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
E-Challenged,

Thanks, I'll er, commit that phrase to memory...

mistairjoe,

I never met a fish I didn't like, smoked or not! Bring on the Lutefisk!

C'mon you Norwegians, I know you're out there!

Steve
Mar 25, 2005, 01:22 PM
LT
LT

Not from Stavanger but,

I think you will find the RC community so small that there are no 'speciality' RC clubs in the area. We are celebrating easter at present (holidays started last friday for many people and lasting til thuesday) so this can be the reason for lack off response. I've done portcalls in/near Stavanger a few times and it's a great city/area of the country. Probably not what you want to hear, but great for slope soaring. Try to raise Haldor at the Kontronik forum in the vendors section - he's from Stavanger and should know most of what you want to know about RC-airplane activities in that area.

If you plan to bring your equipment over from Canada please note that you can only use 35 and 40 MHz equipment. So if you are using 72MHz you will need to get new receivers and a new transmitter or Tx module. Also check out http://www.celtic-griffin.com/ for price examples of equipment.
Remember that we got a 25% sales tax in Norway so it could very well be worthwile for you to buy stuff like servos, LiPo cells and ESCs in Canada and bring over.

By the way when do you expect to move to Norway??

regards
Lars

PS. skolya danga dey?" Good phonetic spelling correct gramar is: Skal jeg denge deg?. Direct translation would be: You want do get beatenup?
Sounds like you learnt your norwegian somewhere innland E-challanged - my first bet would be somewhere in Telemark. Oh well at least they whent outside before starting the fights (Who said were not civilized?)

off da! doesn't realy mean much but can generally be used when an englishspeaker would say "ohh no" of in US-english "ohh f***"

As for the lutefisk - I haven't tried it myself but I hear it's all about the relish.
Mar 25, 2005, 02:09 PM
EDF Head
I'm in Stavanger

I fly at www.albatrossrc.com which has its field 30min out of Stavanger. We fly mainly gliders and electric. 300x50' mowed grassfield rented on farmed land.

If you need any tips/pointers about location (living) or other practical issues just let me know. What company will you be working for?

Two LHS's locally, pricey

Best Regards,
Haldor
www.halair.com
www.albatrossrc.com
Last edited by Haldor; Mar 25, 2005 at 02:17 PM.
Mar 26, 2005, 12:36 AM
LT, I was born in central Wisconsin, USA. My dad's family were Norwegian Lutherans. Dad didn't talk much, grandpa was a mortician and didn't talk much either. At age 66 now, I wish now that I had learned more of the language and lore. You should enjoy living in Scandahoovia, bon voyage!
Mar 26, 2005, 05:03 PM
Registered IGG Finland pilot
Hi, Steve

a bit more on Norwegian aeromodelling can be found:

http://www.modellflynytt.no/

Br,
Hannu
Finland,
thats not so far from Norway..
Mar 27, 2005, 01:14 AM
Ive lived both in Finland and Norway for several years. Ill tell you that you will love Norway! I was living in Oslo though, and usually flew in parks in the evening or morning. There was also a group flying in an old airport called fornebu but they closed it and didn't for RCers. I miss living there.
Mar 28, 2005, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, everyone, for the links and info. I knew I had seen some members from Norway in my travels through the Ezone. It's good to know you're out there.

Haldor, I'll try to contact you once we get settled in.

Does anyone know if you can easily convert a 72 MHz Tx/Rx to 35 or 40 MHz? I'm using a Hitec Laser 4 and Hitec Feather; is it as simple as buying new crystals?

Steve
Mar 29, 2005, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
Does anyone know if you can easily convert a 72 MHz Tx/Rx to 35 or 40 MHz? I'm using a Hitec Laser 4 and Hitec Feather; is it as simple as buying new crystals?
Check the radios section of rcgroups. You'll most likely find the answer you don't want :/

A radio repairshop could possibly retune your radio, but my guess is you're better off buying a new or second-hand tx/rx, and bring your other gear.

Please note you'll probably need a 220V capable tx/rx wallcharger as well.... or a transformer. IMHO your money is better spent on a new set

The cheaper Hitec sets (tx,rx,batt,charger,servos++) runs about 200USD. A GWS Dreamstarter will cost you about 100USD + rx of choice.
Or you could check your new local club for a second-hand set...

BTW, Stavanger is a really nice city - you'll love it!

Cheers,
Thomas
Mar 29, 2005, 05:00 PM
Registered IGG Finland pilot
Hi, Steve

If you happen to be in a region in weekend 11-12 June, there is also
large Scale flying competition close Stockholm, Barkarby Skaladagarna.
I think it is the largest annual event in Scandinavia for scale flying.
There is quite a many pilots from all around Scandinavia attending.

Link to contest site : http://www.srfk.com/Skaladagarna2005...arkiverad.html

Br,

Hannu
Mar 30, 2005, 02:20 PM
Ay up it's warped
Is it not cheaper for you northern types to buy from elsewhere in the EU (European union) where the taxes are lower. In the UK we use 35 for aircraft and 40 for land based models so I assume it is a EU regulation.

Quick Reply