Jan 14, 2020, 10:18 AM
Thread OP

Hobbyking 540W PSU problem

Hello,

I recently got an older Hobbyking 540W PSU and noticed when I start to charge my 4S 6750mah lipo packs, PSU starts clicking. This clicking noise stops after 10 to 20 seconds. If I want to charge another 4S 6750mah lipo pack on the second channel, PSU starts to click again and goes to OC mode. When I charge with 7A it clicks but if i lower the current it clicks less and I can charge second pack with no problem. After the clicking stops, I can charge with higher current without a problem (up to 240 watt per channel).
However this doesn't happen if I charge smaller lipo packs (2S xxxx mah) which means less watts consumption.
I'm using Icharger 4010 duo.

Here is the video (turn on the sound)
Last edited by nejc11; Jan 14, 2020 at 11:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2020, 10:34 AM
So what is the question? You're stressing the PSU.

Put a wattmeter in between and measure actual voltage, amps & watts drawn.

Then you'll want to stay at about 80% below where it starts clicking.

Or replace with a more powerful unit, maybe higher voltage too depending on what you need.

I believe that charger is pretty sensitive to input, reduced longevity if it isn't pure & steady.

It will want ~36V to get max power (2200W), usually 48V PSUs are reasonably priced ex-telecom, but try to get an adjustable one, to go a bit lower.
Jan 14, 2020, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
If I'm charging with 120 watt per channel and PSU is 540watt it's less than 50% of total PSU power.
The problem I see is when the charger starts charging. If I set 4S lipo pack and 7A charging current it clicks but if I set 4S, 3A it doesn't although the charger never starts charging with full power. It's starts below 1A current and slowly rises. It's like if the charger checks if it has the full power capability at the beginning. Is that possible?
My friend has Efuel 540W PSU and it doen't have this problem. Is it possible that the built quality is better or do I have some damaged elements in my PSU?
Jan 14, 2020, 11:33 AM
That power supply needs 220AC, I am assuming you have it plugged into that voltage? Just want to make sure you dont have it on 110, cuz that would explain your issue.

I would measure the input voltage into the charger while it is trying to charge .
Jan 14, 2020, 11:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darunion
That power supply needs 220AC, I am assuming you have it plugged into that voltage? Just want to make sure you dont have it on 110, cuz that would explain your issue.

I would measure the input voltage into the charger while it is trying to charge .
Yes it's plugged into 220AC.
I also plugged it in my Kipor 2600 generator and it's the same problem.

I see the input voltage on charger. When it starts charging the voltage drops from 18V to 17,7V and than slowly rises back.
Last edited by nejc11; Jan 14, 2020 at 11:47 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nejc11
Is it possible that the built quality is better or do I have some damaged elements in my PSU?
Yes, either or both.

In either case I stand by my reco above.
Jan 14, 2020, 12:03 PM
Likely the voltage isn't stable enough and the input meter on the charger isn't fast enough. Even a cheap meter would be much faster. I do agree with what John said, a wattmeter would be a good measurement.

I would bet that the voltage is not stable enough under load and the charger obviously doesnt like that. I would aim toward replacing your power supply, especially since as you said you connected a differetn supply and it worked fine. A faulty powers upply could damage a charger, and that is a nice charger that isnt worth risking it.
Jan 14, 2020, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darunion
Likely the voltage isn't stable enough and the input meter on the charger isn't fast enough. Even a cheap meter would be much faster. I do agree with what John said, a wattmeter would be a good measurement.

I would bet that the voltage is not stable enough under load and the charger obviously doesnt like that. I would aim toward replacing your power supply, especially since as you said you connected a differetn supply and it worked fine. A faulty powers upply could damage a charger, and that is a nice charger that isnt worth risking it.
I got this PSU for a good price and was curious what is the problem and if I can repair it. I hoped that someone would tell me which element is producing the clicking noise and what is causing it.

Otherweis I'm using HP DPS-800 GB A 1000watt PSU which sometimes shuts down when the charger starts charging. I read on this forum that this PSU needs a lot of load to work properly.

I will try to measure the voltage with a meter.

Thank you Darunion and John61CT for all the info.
Last edited by nejc11; Jan 14, 2020 at 12:36 PM.
Jan 14, 2020, 12:32 PM
It would be silly to wreck your $300 charger because you wanted to save money on the PSU.

Maybe use it to charge a battery and use that as a source for charging, at least some buffering going on, stabilize the input.
Jan 14, 2020, 01:00 PM
More often than not, I won't mess with power supplies. Even though I design small ones for work. It is safer to just replace. Meanwell makes some good supplies. I have meanwell on my printer and use a DPS-600 or my bench adjustable to power my chargers.
Jan 14, 2020, 02:24 PM
Quality brand new ones at high voltage & power are very pricey, more than the charger. Yes even Mean Well.

But top notch ex- server room or telecom PSUs are cheap as chips, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TECTROL-150...3/301284483957

https://www.scribd.com/document/371935359/TCP1U-1200
Last edited by John61CT; Jan 15, 2020 at 08:14 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 02:55 PM
There are two possibilities causing this clicking.

One is that the psu is going into an overload mode known as “hiccup mode”which is used in switch mode psus because you cannot reduce the duty cycle far enough at short circuit. The frequency of the clicking sounds faster than I would expect, so I think it is more likely that the control loop is not properly compensated and is therefore running in a squegging oscillation.
Either way the psu should be returned as faulty.

Wayne
Jan 15, 2020, 07:46 AM
Thread OP
I found this video but I don't understand Russian.

Can someone please explain what does this jumper do?
Jan 17, 2020, 05:38 AM
Thread OP
Just did a factory reset on Icharger 4010 and PSU stoped clicking. Everything works like a charm.

Can someone explain what is the trick?

Quick Reply