This thread is privately moderated by midelic, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 14, 2020, 02:56 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Jumper R8 Receiver - 8-channel PPM/16 channel SBUS, D16 /LBT/D8 compatible firmware

Jumper R8 Receiver - 8-channel PPM/16 channel SBUS, D16 /LBT/D8 compatible firmware

Hi,
I decided to open new thread regarding the new compatible firmware for Jumper R8 Receiver.
In short I made a new firmware to flash Jumper R8 in order to have use of SPORT signal and analog voltage for battery.
With the new firmware the user will have access additionally to LBT and D8 protocol along with many other features that will be described below.

There are some HW designs flaws that required for the user to do some HW modifications.
I will detail more the problems in this thread.

Flashing new firmware.
Flashing new firmware on Jumper _R8 connections.
Use a STlink V2 programmer.
https://www.banggood.com/Geekcreit-3...r_warehouse=CN

connect STLink device ,press Target/connect.
If you receive "Read out protection" enabled warning, go into "Option bytes" and disable it.
Press "Erase/Chip" after that press "Program&verify" load the binary file to be flashed.
Warning:
Once you flash you cannot go back to previous firmware

Modes:
This receiver features protocol/modes selection:
The default protocol(after flashing and no jumper) is D16
1) Jumper CH1-CH3 at start change receiver mode to X(D16)protocol channels 1-8 output PWM.
2) Jumper CH2-CH4 at start change receiver mode to X(D16)protocol channels 1-8 output PWM with no telemetry.
3) Jumper CH3-CH5 at start change receiver mode to X(D16)protocol channels 9-16 output PWM.
4)Jumper CH4-CH6 at start change receiver mode to X(D16)protocol channels 9-16 output PWM with no telemetry.
5)Jumper CH6-CH8 at start change receiver mode to D(D8)protocol (with Hub telemetry).
6)Jumper CH5-CH7 at start change receiver mode to LBT protocol.
It is a toggle jumper toggle between LBT and D16.
If the RX is in D16 will switch to LBT and vice versa.If you are in D8 mode using 5-7 jumper will not change on LBT until you change first on D16.

Example:
LBT mode
- Jumper pins ch 5-7
- switch on RX- blinking pattern for LBT
- switch off RX
- remove the jumper
- press the bind button and turn on the power
- binding process with TX.- ended up...

There are some led patterns.When in FCC mode and when in LBT mode and when jumper is set for protocols.
FCC- no jumper -RED led blink normal(take as reference)
D8 - no jumper -RED led blink normal
LBT- no jumper -RED led blink slower.

FCC- jumpers(all) -RED LED blink fast
LBT jumper(5-7) RED LED blink intermittently 2 blinks.
D8- jumper(6-8) RED LED blink intermittently 4 blinks(this will be in new revision).
I'm still trying to simplify this patterns be easy to check.

This firmware features also 4 analog inputs.
A1- PA1 the voltage divider has swapped resistors.(see the attached pdf diagram on how to fix)
If you are looking on voltage divider calculator , first should be 3.9K to Vcc(Rx battery) and second 1.5K to GND.
A2 is PA3 on chip -3.3vmax-former RSSI pin.
A4 is PA4 on chip- no direct access(max 3.3V on the pin)

//this below analog pin will be revised and subject to change in base of non-inverter chip is removed or not.
A3 is PA2 on chip- no direct access(max 3.3v on the pin)(if the no-inverter chip is removed)

See below diagrams the schematic and HW mods that can be done on JUMPER R8 to work properly.

**WARNING!**
**MUST READ!**

Please be aware that the Rx firmware binary attached below has somewhat limited functionality..
The receiver is set to bind with TX only 3 times.The 4-th time you try to bind(that means bind mode TX and RX in bind mode with bind button)
with different TX or same TX, the RX will be locked and you will be unable to connect to TX.
However you will be able to unlock and make it work again by re-flashing firmware again using "erase chip" selection in STLINK utilities program before flashing.
Summary:
As long as you don't rebind more then 3 times you can use this RX indefinitely. To remove the bind lock and regaining functionality you have to re-flash the RX.
If you locked RX you can still re-flash and use it again until you rebind.
I know this can be very annoying thing for some users and others will not be bothered too much as they can bind with one TX, install it on their plane or quad and forget about it.
I adopted this new approach to limit the possibility of this project being copied and used commercially without my approval.

DISCLAIMER:
THIS IS A PERSONAL PROJECT AND THE CODE AND SETUP PRESENTED HERE IS AS IS.
USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK.I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PROBLEMS WHICH MAY ARISE USING IT.
YOU ARE ADVISED.
Last edited by midelic; Feb 05, 2020 at 05:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2020, 02:57 AM
Thread OP

Firmware updates

This post is reserved for Firmwares/updates.

If using this FW 060120,turn the FS from TX off.
-There is a bug in FS from TX feature.
- Another bug reported was there is no FS for SBUS in this version.
I will fix this problems in the new revisions.
Test version I fix some problems from previous firmware.
"test2 "this version I cancelled A3 A4 analog in order to use SPORT signal without removing the inverter chip.Not tested .
It is not tested, test and let me know.
Fixed SBUS FS. Fixed FS from TX.Added blinking pattern when setting LBT and D8.
Bugs reported
- no A3 analog.
With this version you can use SPORT signal on JUMPER_R8 without removing the driver(non inverted chip).It is marked in schematic as U2(74LVC1G126).Fixed also A3 analog
It has a code for automatic checking of the existing driver chip.It checks at start if the driver is installed and switch it off and move A3 analog pin to PA5.The rest of the analog pins remain the same(see first post).

New version .Added dual bind feature.
It allows to used 2 TX and switch between them, back and forth.After you bind both normally the switch is done at bind time. Put the TX you want to switch to in bind mode and after that, power the rx in normal mode.The rx led will blink fast let you know switch is completed.After that you can use the rx normally with new Tx.

Added version to use other pin instead of BOOT0(difficult to solder on it and maintenance).It uses a bridge of channel8 to GND.
If you never flashed before(it means the receiver has original firmware in) you may use that directly(It means no BOOT0 pr other connection required, except those 4(SWDIO,SWCLK, 3.3V,GND).

If you flashed before firmware from this post you need BOOT0 for one time flash.After that any subsequent re-flashing use ch8.

Version that works with LUA script to control RX modes.At the moment Sbus invert and servo rate 9ms are not available.
See video link below for more info about what it controls.The second page show some statistics on rx to asses the performance of the link.
Bug reported :
cannot change channel modes(1-8 to 9-16) with LUA script.

Added 9ms servo rate. Need testing in real time.To be changed only with LUA script.
Fixed also bug with changing channel selection modes with LUA script.
Reported Bugs:
-Missing frame lost bit in SBUS packet(that is not affecting the flight, only some diagnostic programs like TADANGO).All previous firmware have the same issue with frame lost bit.
- Using a servo on ch8 at start, forced R8 to enter in programming mode(most probably the servo pulled ch8 pin low).
- Issues with dual bind mode FS for second TX(not storing FS from RX on second TX).
- Issue with telemetry data errors at start.

- Moved programming jumper to ch1-ch8.Using a servo on ch8 at start, forced R8 to enter in programming mode(most probably the servo pulled ch8 pin low)
- Fixed bug ,errors in telemetry data at start(It happened only with T16 and/or multiprotocol).
- Added virtual sensor 52F1 id for firmware version.You can see version on the new LUA script too.
- Fixed - Issues with dual bind mode FS-RX ,for second TX(not stored FS from RX on second TX).
- Fixed lost frame bit in SBUS packet.
- Added RSSI averaging.

New version.
-added SBUS signal inversion feature.To be changed with LUA script.The default is SBUS inverted signal(frsky original).
-fixed a small telemetry sync problem.
-fixed another telemetry problem (when the tx is off and on again it will loose sport telemetry, with previous firmware).
-added 52E0, LQ virtual sensor(same as Tadango 5100 -LQ sensor).Sent every 300ms.

Important note:
When using with LUA script.
In order to change the data and the receiver to store the changed data ,you must switch off first Tx and after that the Rx,
The new data is store when the Rx lost link with Tx.

Configuration of a DIY FrSky compatible RX (2 min 27 sec)

Todo:

Important note:
When you change modes, make sure the battery that supply the rx is charged. Otherwise may result in errors.
Note:
The information and firmware updates are subject to change without warning.
Before using an update make sure you check this post first if new information or new firmware updates are already posted.

Enjoy!
Last edited by midelic; Mar 21, 2020 at 04:59 AM. Reason: added new version
Jan 14, 2020, 04:07 AM
ellet
midelic:...This problem is only on SBUS -FS not PWM .....right?...

The twitches are small and very irregular. Yes only SBUS. Servo needs to be monitored for more than a minute. PWM is OK. I changed the servos ...

midelic:Maybe I should make a version with pulling OE (PA2)low in software to switch off the inverter and cancel A3 analog for R8.This way no need to remove the inverter.

It also occurred to me ... a good solution for me.
Last edited by Jean17; Jan 14, 2020 at 04:25 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 04:13 AM
Thread OP
I can do that, but are you sure that as it is now the inverter is causing problem for SPORT signal?
Because I did not test that,I have my R8 with inverter removed already.

edit
Ok I added in post 2 a test version for that.
I removed A3 A4 code in order to use SPORT without removing inverter chip
Last edited by midelic; Jan 14, 2020 at 05:08 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 04:30 AM
Hello,
Im really impressed about your work. I use FrSky receivers and the try the jumper R8. With your software I can use at R8 SPort - thats great - because I use many sensors.

What also great where is, when I could bind a single receiver to 2 transmitter, as asked before. Because when I go climbing and flying in the mountains I use a small and light Transmitter, over the year my horus X12. So I could use both transmitter without binding new.

Did you here there will come in short time a new ACCST protokol - thats not compatible with the old protokol? Because of short falture FrSky will change the CRC, because it was to short and could cause failture.

Norbert
Jan 14, 2020, 04:33 AM
ellet
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic
I can do that, but are you sure that as it is now the inverter is causing problem for SPORT signal?
Because I did not test that,I have my R8 with inverter removed already.
I'm not sure and I can't test it. I also removed the driver
Jan 14, 2020, 04:33 AM
Thread OP
Norbert.
Dual bind is already in my attention.You will have dual bind FOR SURE in the near future after testing.
@Jean17
no problem I will make the change anyway
Jan 14, 2020, 04:38 AM
Thank you - thats realy fine, thats the only thing I would need at ACCESS.
Jan 14, 2020, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean17
I'm not sure and I can't test it. I also removed the driver
As far as I remember, when You were testing midelic`s FW for the first time WITHOUT removing driver, SPORT was not working at Your R8. Generally, when You look to unconnected analog inputs, they are not zero, so at OE is quite high level to enable driver`s output.
I have also removed driver, however I have two R8 on the way, so can test afterwards...
Jan 14, 2020, 05:06 AM
Thread OP
I don't think there are many people using A3 A4 (there are no dedicated outside pins and need soldering )on Jumper R8, so I can remove that feature permanently in future releases.
Jan 14, 2020, 05:29 AM
Quote:
I don't think there are many people using A3 A4 (there are no dedicated outside pins and need soldering )...
Not really true, there is one free pin from RX-TX. So if You rearranged A3&A4 to PA4 & PA5, they can be easily tied to that pin. That`s not difficult to solder thin wire to 2 uP pins. So that A1 will be RXBat, A2 (former RSSI ) is elready tied to pin, and A3&A4 can be second external analog.
Jan 14, 2020, 05:42 AM
Thread OP
There is already A4 on PA4.You can tie it to PA5 as it now.
However people need to be aware that they additionally need to cut the trace between the 2 TX/RX pins in order to use one.
So It needs to cancel only A3(PA2) analog pin and still have 3 analog inputs.
Jan 14, 2020, 06:08 AM
ellet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddano007
As far as I remember, when You were testing midelic`s FW for the first time WITHOUT removing driver, SPORT was not working at Your R8. Generally, when You look to unconnected analog inputs, they are not zero, so at OE is quite high level to enable driver`s output.
I have also removed driver, however I have two R8 on the way, so can test afterwards...
Yes, I wrote it here
Jan 14, 2020, 06:16 AM
Quote:
...So It needs to cancel only A3(PA2) analog pin and still have 3 analog inputs.
Yes, or rename A4 ( PA3&PA4) to A3 and remove PA2 from analog inputs, so will be A1 as RxBatt and A2 & A3 as external analogs.
Jan 14, 2020, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
Yes That I want to say,Rename A4/A3 and having 3 analog inputs A1.A2.A3.
The idea is to free PA2 from analog inputs to have SPORT signal without removing the inverter chip.Atm the PA2-OE is initialized as analog pin(first firmware).
If necessary I can put A4 on PA7 and have 4 analog pins,The problem is soldering on tiny pins.
Last edited by midelic; Jan 14, 2020 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply