Jan 13, 2020, 05:21 PM
Thread Killer
Thread OP
Suggestion

I can't mention face-book in my posts, blocked by word filter

Heya, normally I'd see if there was a thread about this already, but it's hard to search for existing threads about this due to this very issue, which is kind of the point of my post here...

I can't mention "face-book" without the dash in my posts. It seems to be blocked by a word filter as such (even had to edit this warning message just to get this post through. Whenever it's mentioned, spelled correctly, this warning comes up on your attempt to post:

Quote:
Your post contains the following objectionable words: face-book.
I don't know what the original intent of this word filter was. A joke perhaps? An admin salty that face-book is supplanting forums? I can only guess.

But the bottom line is that, like it or hate it, today in 2020, unfortunately, face-book is now a very important source of information for our hobbies, and it's here to stay. Face-book groups often have more users, more posts, and more content then threads here, or any forum for that matter. Manufacturers, OEM's, reviewers, and so on often post information only to their face-book pages and groups. Some OEM's and reviewers no longer post to forums at all.

The worst thing about this word filter is when it breaks URL's because they have face-book in the URL.

Can you please turn off this filter? It's easy enough to just write FB or face-book to get around it, but breaking URL's and having to edit your posts each time it's mentioned is super annoying. More annoying I'm sure than whatever the original intent of this was.

Forums and our hobby should be all about sharing information with each other, and intentionally filtering out the name of one of the largest and most active ways to do this seems extremely counter productive and borderline malicious to this goal.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2020, 06:07 PM
RCG Admin
It was done on purpose to prevent people from linking others away to their site.
Jan 13, 2020, 07:01 PM
Thread Killer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
It was done on purpose to prevent people from linking others away to their site.
Isn't that the point of all links? How's that different than linking to a YouTube video? A manufacturer's website? A store's website? DJI's forums, and so on?

Either way, you can circumvent this by using a URL Shortener like bit.lyand calling it face-book, so what's even the point? If it can be easily worked around, then this just frustrates users, doesn't really solve or change anything.
Jan 13, 2020, 07:40 PM
RCG Admin
It’s just a policy decision. They technically are a competitive site. Kinda like going to Walmart with a Target sign and telling people to go there to look for stuff. Sorry if that’s frustrating for you.

Quick Reply