Apr 25, 2009, 11:53 PM
I'm a dirt torpedo...Mustaine
So I used "Shoe Goo" (goop) on the servos. Seems to have softened the foam.
Did I goof by using the goop? I don't recall anyone else mentioning that reaction.

Rob.............
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2009, 12:13 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robio
So I used "Shoe Goo" (goop) on the servos. Seems to have softened the foam.
Did I goof by using the goop? I don't recall anyone else mentioning that reaction.

Rob.............
Hi Rob,

All the "Goop" products I have ever experimented with have softened all the foams I have tried them on. Did someone actually recommend you use Goop?

See if it hardens back up for you. Give it a day or so and it will most likely harden to some degree. Depending on whether or not the servos actually melted down into the foam surface, you may just be OK...

Chuck
Apr 26, 2009, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Rob,

All the "Goop" products I have ever experimented with have softened all the foams I have tried them on. Did someone actually recommend you use Goop?
You must not have tried it on EPP - on that it works wonderfully. Actually better than anything else I tried. On elapor - I'm not sure - never tried it. However, I know that it melts EPS, and as far as I know elapor is 70% EPS and 30% EPP, so it makes sense that if you "melt" the 70% EPS the foam will get messed up...

Best,
M.
Apr 26, 2009, 12:22 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
I used goop on my EZ to install the motor and it did sofen the foam somewhat, but I only used a VERY thin smear and it seems fine.

Lots of flights and no failures. Motor is a HiMax 2000kv.

I also used it on my 2nd EZ to glue the fuse together and it worked great.
Very good bond, yet still flexes a bit.

In both cases I let it cure for a couple of days...
Apr 26, 2009, 03:19 AM
Wantabee RC Pilot
I used the HiTech universal mounts as this provided a great look and I can change a servo without damaging the plane.

Silcoline (just the normal clear stuff meant for showers or waterproofing) works just as well with no damage to the foam, by the way I use the same motor with a 30amp TowerPro ESC & a 6x4 APCE Prop. Battery is a Thunder Power 11.1 3s1p 2100mAh
Apr 26, 2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks all!

Seems I was a little anxious and tend to over think things... Never built a foamie before. My brother used hot glue on his servos so had no reference. Checked this morning after curing overnight and all seems good. All set up, foam okie dokie. Also used on the motor, but once fuse joined, no can see.

No Fly: Back at the beginning of this thread, Sarge used it on his build. Others also. That's why it seemed odd to me no one mentioned it, unless it's not a biggie, as I found out. They did'nt melt down. Used servo tape, then spot glued.

Four Play: I thought about using "slippycone", but had read that it may not adhere. Good to know you had sucess. I'll probably go that route on the FunJet build.
BTW What are "Hitec" universal mounts?

Thanks again, Rob..............
Apr 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robio
BTW What are "Hitec" universal mounts?

I think he means these....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN690&P=7
Apr 26, 2009, 06:48 PM
Here is how they look with a servo installed on an EZ* when you just use the grooved "rails". Simple, light, and effective.
Apr 26, 2009, 08:25 PM
Ah, Very nice.
I like the way the servo is on ctr in the bay.

Just glue the rails in place?

Rob...........
Apr 26, 2009, 08:38 PM
Just a bit of CA. The servo is NOT going to move in use... in fact I think I made it a bit tight in there!
Apr 26, 2009, 08:45 PM
Wantabee RC Pilot
Hi Rob

Check out this link for the servo mounts, this site has a lot of Eaststar Mods that you may find interesting.

http://www.mpx-easystar.de/index.php?id=78&L=1

Best of luck & I hope you are enjoying your build just like I did
Apr 27, 2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks,

I am having a good time with it. You'd think by now I would'nt have to remind myself to enjoy the process though....
Did do something stupid possibly. Did'nt read past installing the push rod housings and went and glued in the antenna tube. Opps... Helps to read first then proceed. Hopefully was'nt too dumb.

About finished. Have magnets to put in the canopy then velcro electronics. Should about do it. May add some color when I deceide what.

Oh yeah. The grub screws in the push rod retainers will vibrate out when plane riding in the back seat. Found one, the other, bye bye...silicone will fix.

Rob..............
May 06, 2009, 09:01 AM
What size ecs should I get for the mega 16/15/4 motor?Planning on using a TP 2100 battery with the motor.

Thanks,
John
May 06, 2009, 09:10 AM
"SARGE"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer6
What size ecs should I get for the mega 16/15/4 motor?Planning on using a TP 2100 battery with the motor.

Thanks,
John
John,

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-35.html

and get the very cool.....

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...stle_link.html

Sarge
May 10, 2009, 07:58 AM
Hi there,

I received my EasyStar yesterday, it is an ARF. I have couple of queston before i start building it.
1) I read in some usergroup that I am suppose to use HS55, but the manaul says to
use HS 81. I have both of them but I am not sure which one to use.
2) I motor mount (sort of) is little bit cracked from the nose side, should I just use
some GP Pro foam safe CA and that would be alright of it.
3) The manual shows that there are two wires connected to the motor that run to
the front of the plane. I didn't knew that I would need those wires otherwise I
would have ordered those along with the plane. Please let me know the type of
conectors I need to use and the type wire.
4) I have two options of using an ESC let me know which one would be a better
option. 1) EFilte 20 ampsESC 2) ElectrFly C-35 MiniESC.
5) I have to admit that I am a engine plane flyer so it is hard for me to be careful
with the amount of glue I use. How much CA should I use that would be enough.
6) Do I need to strengthen the rudder and elevator hinge area.

I don't have the privilege of being close to a hobby shop where I am even order parts, for the Easy Star.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Syed

Quick Reply