Mar 04, 2020, 11:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1
Are you sure that the camera is now stabilized? I don't think that the videos are stabilized. If it would be, you could see the orange antenna moving but it stays in the same position.
I re-loaded the parameters into the camera ( a major pain that there is no way of checking the exisiting parameters ), made certain that Stabilize was "on", and did another flight. This time the stabilization seems to be working, but the resolution is useless (alos in the raw footage). And I'm pretty sure that I set it at 1080p 60fps:

Runcam 5 Orange, March 2nd (10 min 0 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2020, 07:26 AM
Is it possible to buy a clip on zoom lens for these cameras, similar to those clip on lens you can buy for phones?
Mar 06, 2020, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamael
Is it possible to buy a clip on zoom lens for these cameras, similar to those clip on lens you can buy for phones?
Not without destroying the resolution and/or introducing cropping. Either get a specialized "airsoft cam" (Runcam has these) or get a camera that has a known lens replacement hack, like some of the GoPros.
Mar 24, 2020, 03:17 PM

Focus adjust?

The Orange works well for me in general, and I'm very glad to have a decent option with video out for (second camera) pan/tilt FPV.

The problem I have is that it's focused in the 1-2 meter range and looks very soft for landscapes. Is there any way to adjust the focus on these like I'm used to doing on GoPros?

Thanks,
Scott
Mar 25, 2020, 07:40 AM
New firmware released recently

Update Version V1.1.2
  1. Adjust recording file name generation sequence number (accurate to second).
  2. Optimize SD card compatibility.
  3. Increase the image quality default sharpness.
  4. Increase the image quality default contrast.
  5. Adjust flat color saturation and contrast.
  6. EIS function adds support for 2.7K 50, 60fps and 1440P 60fps.
  7. Add 1/50 and 1/100 shutter settings.
Mar 25, 2020, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
The Orange works well for me in general, and I'm very glad to have a decent option with video out for (second camera) pan/tilt FPV.

The problem I have is that it's focused in the 1-2 meter range and looks very soft for landscapes. Is there any way to adjust the focus on these like I'm used to doing on GoPros?

Thanks,
Scott
Not so much info on the Runcam 5s, but there are some teardown notes in the RC5 thread: link

Quote:
New firmware released recently

Update Version V1.1.2
  1. Adjust recording file name generation sequence number (accurate to second).
  2. Optimize SD card compatibility.
  3. Increase the image quality default sharpness.
  4. Increase the image quality default contrast.
  5. Adjust flat color saturation and contrast.
  6. EIS function adds support for 2.7K 50, 60fps and 1440P 60fps.
  7. Add 1/50 and 1/100 shutter settings.
Great, thanks for the heads up!
Mar 25, 2020, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o
Not so much info on the Runcam 5s, but there are some teardown notes in the RC5 thread
Thanks! That doesn't look too bad.

The official response from Runcam support on this was that it's a limitation of the product. I'm sure they don't want me doing surgery on it.

Edit: The 5 Orange is easy to open. Don't remove the glass from the front.

1. Remove the 4 torx from the back and pop out the rear cover. Gently pull out the rear PCB.
2. Remove the 4 inserts using a small common screwdriver then gently remove the second PCB.
3. Remove the 4 small philips holding the camera assembly in. Don't remove the 2 small philips on the back of the camera itself.

The lens has a small daub of glue holding the focus point.

Use this info at your own risk.
Last edited by Noircogi; Mar 25, 2020 at 02:53 PM.
Mar 27, 2020, 05:42 AM

FW Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded the firmware yet? If so, are the improvements worthwhile? Thanks!
Jul 17, 2020, 01:44 PM
Another new firmware update is out, v1.1.4.

New Features of Firmware V1.1.4
  1. Modify the EIS algorithm; the current FOV is 100 after turning on the EIS, 12 bigger than before.
  2. Optimize the compatibility with SD card.
  3. Fix some known bugs.
Jul 18, 2020, 04:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Another new firmware update is out, v1.1.4.

New Features of Firmware V1.1.4
  1. Modify the EIS algorithm; the current FOV is 100 after turning on the EIS, 12 bigger than before.
  2. Optimize the compatibility with SD card.
  3. Fix some known bugs.
Great, thanks for the notification!
Aug 27, 2020, 11:31 AM
Now v1.1.5 is out, with little in the way of changes:

New Features of Firmware V1.1.5
  1. Optimize the EIS algorithm. FOV is only reduced by 10% after turning on EIS.
Nov 20, 2020, 03:42 PM

EIS not working

I just got my RC5 orange, and set it up using the QR code....turned on EIS...have tried 2.7K60 and 1440K and no stabilization occurs at all! v1.1.5 firmware

what am I doing wrong....I know the QR code was accepted because I can change modes and turned auto record on.... I specifically bought this for that feature!!
Nov 20, 2020, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli
I just got my RC5 orange, and set it up using the QR code....turned on EIS...have tried 2.7K60 and 1440K and no stabilization occurs at all! v1.1.5 firmware

what am I doing wrong....I know the QR code was accepted because I can change modes and turned auto record on.... I specifically bought this for that feature!!
I had that issue initially as well. After a FW upgrade and a parameter reload it seemed to work. The resolution wasn't the best though, so I kind of paused the camera. Now I've just pulled it out of the drawer again and updated to v1.1.5. Will post a recording come daylight tomorrow.

EDIT: My EIS seems inactive as well:

Runcam 5 Orange, EIS not working (0 min 39 sec)

I also tried switching off the Distortion Correction and the Low Light Enhancement, but no joy.
Last edited by mike_o; Nov 21, 2020 at 04:10 AM.

Quick Reply