Jan 12, 2020, 06:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Runcam 5 Orange - now stabilized?

Visiting the Runcam website, I noticed that the Runcam 5 Orange is now specified with EIS:

"Image stabilization supported.
Equipped with electronic image stabilization(EIS) chip and
the built-in Sony IMX377 12MP high-performance image sensor,
the RunCam 5 Orange offers smoother and higher quality videos."

I immediately ordered one, and I look forward to reviewing it. I haven't been able to find a thread about the 5 Orange in here, but if it exists, I'd be happy to get a link. EDIT: I found a thread here (link)

EDIT;

First video:
1080p 60fps stabilize ON:

RunCam 5 Orange on 1100mm Reptile Harrier (2 min 22 sec)
Last edited by mike_o; Jan 13, 2023 at 01:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2020, 07:14 PM
And I've not even had my Runcam 5 for a year yet!

Other than image stabilisation, does the RunCam 5 Orange offer anything else that the original RunCam 5 doesn't?
Jan 16, 2020, 07:51 PM
I have just done a quick comparison between the RC5 and RC5 Orange specs and this is what I see different so far.

Video Resolution
RunCam 5 Orange: 4K@30fps / 2.7K@60fps / 2.7K@50fps / 1080P@120fps / 1080P@60fps / 1440P@60fps
RunCam 5: 4K@30fps / 2.7k@50fps / 1080P@120fps / 1080P@60fps / 1440P@60fps

Battery Capacity
RunCam 5 Orange: 900mAh
RunCam 5: 950mAh
This might be wrong. Banggood states the RC5 as 950mAh, however the PDF manual states 900mAh.

Information about recording time copied from RunCam's product page:
Quote:
4K recording time up to 105 minutes!
The upgraded CPU offers ultra-low power consumption. The 4K@30fps recording time now reaches 105 minutes which is over 40% longer than other similar cameras on the market. At the same time, the recording time of other resolutions improves over 30%.

Jan 17, 2020, 03:50 AM
Thread OP
Hamael,

thank you. So there is actually a difference. I'll be posting my impression and some video when I receive the camera.
Jan 17, 2020, 09:22 AM
Spotted another improvement in the manual. The video bitrate for 1080P@60fps resolution has been increased for all three quality settings.

RunCam 5 Orange: 45Mbps (High), 30Mbps (Medium), 22Mbps (Low)
RunCam 5: 30Mbps (High), 22Mbps (Medium), 18Mbps (Low)

Also another resolution has been added, 2.7K@60fps

I have taken a look in the RunCam Andoid app for and it now supports the RunCam 5 Orange. There does seem to be more control of the camera.

One important thing I think should be noted. Turning off EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization) automatically turns off LLIE (Low-Light Image Enhancement). You cannot turn LLIE back after turning on EIS. I hope this does not affect the image too much, or it will be pointing having EIS if the end image looks poor.
Jan 27, 2020, 04:55 AM
Another REview
RUNCAM 5 ORANGE - 4K Action Camera that fits on the RYZE Tello (8 min 50 sec)
Feb 01, 2020, 11:54 AM
Received my RC5 Orange this week and have been testing.

Something that is annoying me and I cannot see an option to disable is the beeping which happens around every 7 minutes. I notice that this is when the camera splits the video and the time can vary from 5-10 minutes.

I miss not having the config file on the SD card as it was interesting what some changes did. I wonder if they did this deliberately?

Video quality is overall good and least equal to the original RC5. I do not like to use stabilisation too much as I find it crops the videos. Also stabilisation seems to introduce an image problem on sharp lines - I can't explain properly, but it's like interlacing gone wrong.
Feb 01, 2020, 02:14 PM

Runcam 5 Orange Crucial diffrence

Hello guys,

Yesterday i received my Runcam 5 Orange and instantly upgraded my Firmware to V1.1.0

What i noticed is that :
1. There is no CameraConfig.ini inside the SD card anymore as hamael said so now you can't manually tweak your camera
2. The Distortion Correction is a complete crap and has nothing to do with the distortion correction on Bardwell's Video
Runcam 5 vs. Foxeer Box 2 | BEST GOPRO REPLACEMENT UNDER $150 (23 min 0 sec)
Last edited by foxmulter; Feb 01, 2020 at 02:23 PM.
Feb 01, 2020, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulter View Post
Hello guys,

Yesterday i received my Runcam 5 Orange and instantly upgraded my Firmware to V1.1.0

What i noticed is that :
1. There is no CameraConfig.ini inside the SD card anymore as hamael said so now you can't manually tweak your camera
2. The Distortion Correction is a complete crap and has nothing to do with the distortion correction on Bardwell's Video...
The Runcam 5 Orange seems to be a completely different camera than the Runcam 5, so I’m not surprised. And the parameter adjustment is pleasantly straightforward, if you ask me.

My major concern is the stabilization which seems to do a pretty lousy job, but I haven’t flown the camera yet.
Feb 02, 2020, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulter View Post
Hello guys,

What i noticed is that :
2. The Distortion Correction is a complete crap and has nothing to do with the distortion correction on Bardwell's Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHJheCDI_1Y&t=547s
The YouTube video you posted refers to the original RunCam 5, not the RunCam 5 Orange.
Feb 02, 2020, 06:48 AM
Feb 02, 2020, 10:50 AM
I know that man, wanted to point out that the Distortion correction of Runcam 5 Black was replaced on Runcam 5 Orange, this is a very important change. The Distortion correction of Runcam 5 Black was imitating GoPro's SV. This is why i bought the camera on the first place.
Feb 14, 2020, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Finally the weather allowed for some flying, 1018P 60fps Stabilized mode edit, as per post below

RunCam 5 Orange on 1100mm Reptile Harrier (2 min 22 sec)
Last edited by mike_o; Jan 13, 2023 at 01:56 PM.
Feb 14, 2020, 01:47 PM
mr1
mr1
Are you sure that the camera is now stabilized? I don't think that the videos are stabilized. If it would be, you could see the orange antenna moving but it stays in the same position.
Feb 14, 2020, 04:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1 View Post
Are you sure that the camera is now stabilized? I don't think that the videos are stabilized. If it would be, you could see the orange antenna moving but it stays in the same position.
Good point, but difficult to tell with the user interface. I may have missed that setting. Unfortunately the weather has turned sour again, so it may last some days before I can fly again...

Quick Reply