Jan 11, 2020, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lack of 3 cell 2200mah based balsa

Something I have noticed in recent months is the lack of aerobatic based 40 to 49 inch planes.

Eflite is down to the slick , precision aerobatics discontinued the Katana mini. 3DHS discontinued the 41 edge 540 extreme flight has a couple yaks in the 48inch section but they are phasing out.
Rich models 39 inch extra 260 which was a sweet little plane for 60$ is gone.

I am aware of the world models selection which I have the ultimate bi plane and the yellow extra 300.
If I am missing a carrier let me know who is selling decent 3 cell 2200mah based aerobatic balsa birds.
I contactec future models rc and they have some decent 47 inch edge 540, slick 360 models based around a balsa plywood base and PP covering over EPO that look good but are not stocking them currently.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2020, 08:56 PM
I can tell you exactly why, at least from an Extreme Flight perspective. From a labor standpoint it currently costs almost as much to build a 48" airframe as it does a 125" 40% model. Our factory owners simply cannot build these models anymore for anywhere near what they used to be able to and therefore they are losing money each time they do a production run of these models for us. If they raised their price on these models enough to be profitable our cost would skyrocket and you'd end up paying basically what a current 60" model costs. Nobody wants to do that. Things have changed a lot in China and in particular the ARF market since I started doing business over there in 2002. There are so many jobs available now that are able to pay better wages than the typical ARF factory and lets face it, working in a dusty balsa environment around glue, solvents, paint and heat shrink covering doesn't have the allure that working in a clean, air conditioned electronics factory does. These smaller models have always sold extremely well for us and if there was any way possible to keep them in production Ben and I would be all for it, but alas that is not the current scenario. I would dare say that in the coming years the smallest balsa aircraft that we will produce will be 60" span.
Jan 11, 2020, 10:06 PM
What would lonelasso do?
Ive flown and enjoyed a lot of 48ish planes. That said, bigger flies better. For me the 60 size is now a minimum. They fit in the back of my truck with the wings attached and fly very well. YMMV
Jan 11, 2020, 10:17 PM
I've really grown into old-school balsa building,,, like when I started in 1973. I've built several Stevens laser-cut kits. The Edge 540 and G-480 are outstanding performers on 3-S power systems. If you don't mind "rolling your own", give these a try. The quality of the finished product is up to you. You can build a better 3D performer than you'd get otherwise.

https://www.stevensaero.com/product-...port-electric/
Jan 12, 2020, 12:26 AM
Old's Cool
The 48" EF planes are not specifically designed for 3S, but there are quite a few people flying them that way. I keep my Edge on 3S, but fly my Laser 4S. It will be interesting to see how heavy the 48" V2 Extra turns out to be with the new construction and design. It might be a good 3S plane as well. In any case, I plan to do my V2 as 4S if it every gets to the market.
FWIW, the AUW on my Edge is about 49 oz and it flies great at that weight. The only downside on 3S 2200 mAh batts is 4 1/5 to 5 min flight times, but I don't mind.

If EF quits making the 48" planes, I'm not sure what I will do as I don't have a place to fly anything bigger.
Jan 12, 2020, 09:27 AM
The smaller PA Ultimate AMR calls for a 2200 3S. I'm building one now and it looks to me like it would be a problem getting a larger battery in there.
Jan 12, 2020, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
I can tell you exactly why, at least from an Extreme Flight perspective. From a labor standpoint it currently costs almost as much to build a 48" airframe as it does a 125" 40% model. Our factory owners simply cannot build these models anymore for anywhere near what they used to be able to and therefore they are losing money each time they do a production run of these models for us. If they raised their price on these models enough to be profitable our cost would skyrocket and you'd end up paying basically what a current 60" model costs. Nobody wants to do that. Things have changed a lot in China and in particular the ARF market since I started doing business over there in 2002. There are so many jobs available now that are able to pay better wages than the typical ARF factory and lets face it, working in a dusty balsa environment around glue, solvents, paint and heat shrink covering doesn't have the allure that working in a clean, air conditioned electronics factory does. These smaller models have always sold extremely well for us and if there was any way possible to keep them in production Ben and I would be all for it, but alas that is not the current scenario. I would dare say that in the coming years the smallest balsa aircraft that we will produce will be 60" span.
That makes sense. As a typical weekend warrior we dont have the insight into the financial dynamics and cost associated with making these models. Thanks for giving some insight into the topic. Extreme Flight is synonymous with quality and professionalism and that quick reply shows just that in my book.
I can always run two 3s in parallel for the 60 inch models which I think I will do.
The cost for standard servos and .25 thru .46 size brushless is pretty much negligible. Basiclly it doesnt cost much more to build a 60 inch than a 41 inch.
Jan 12, 2020, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashCrash
I've really grown into old-school balsa building,,, like when I started in 1973. I've built several Stevens laser-cut kits. The Edge 540 and G-480 are outstanding performers on 3-S power systems. If you don't mind "rolling your own", give these a try. The quality of the finished product is up to you. You can build a better 3D performer than you'd get otherwise.

https://www.stevensaero.com/product-...port-electric/
Splash I thought the exact same thing wingsmaker makes an excellent 540 balsa kit in 3s size and I have looked at stevens aero although they are bit pricey as I recall for a laser cut kit. Not to say you get what you pay for...
Jan 12, 2020, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
https://m.banggood.com/Dancing-Wings...l?rmmds=search

This is on banggood although I have heard they can be hit and miss...I quoted it as an edge 540 in response to splash..its an Extra 330
Jan 12, 2020, 10:23 AM
Thread OP

This is on banggood although I have heard they can be hit and miss...I quoted it as an edge 540 in response to splash..its an Extra 330 from dancing wings not wings maker
Jan 12, 2020, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo352

This is on banggood although I have heard they can be hit and miss...I quoted it as an edge 540 in response to splash..its an Extra 330 from dancing wings not wings maker
If anyone has this bird let us know what you think for 70$ I think its a fair deal.
Jan 12, 2020, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC
The smaller PA Ultimate AMR calls for a 2200 3S. I'm building one now and it looks to me like it would be a problem getting a larger battery in there.
I've been flying my on 3s 2600 with good results.

This winter I've been working on a scratch built balsa profile for 3s. I used to build them for glow back in the day, but am now giving it a go for electric power.
Jan 12, 2020, 12:21 PM
I just looked at the BangGood Dancing-Wings Extra 330 "instruction manual".

For $70, one might be able to make a fine plane from this. The builder will have a lot of work to do. But if the wood quality is good, it may be a good investment.

Yes, the Stevens kits are expensive. But I would never hesitate to buy one,,, once I justified the price.
Jan 12, 2020, 01:17 PM
ExtremeFlight - 3DHS - Legacy
I would very much like for every pilot to build a kit like this...and keep a log of their time and materials. I think it would bring a lot of...truth and objectivity, to the discussion of ARF airplanes. Of course, beware the IKEA effect.
Jan 12, 2020, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Flite test sells a kit that essentially looks like a cardboard box that is hot glued together its an edge 540 but if some sticky back monokote was used you may be able to dress it up a bit.

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-te...t-1058/p780803

Also check out the 3d printed 46 inch edge 540 on ebay

More details for the model can be found at 3d LabPrint's website: https://3dlabprint.com/wp-content/up...E_540v3_HA.pdf

Quick Reply