Jan 31, 2020, 07:05 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Thread OP
The figures weigh about a third of an ounce each. It does cause a bit of top-heaviness, but not too bad.

I had to add about 5.5 ounces of lead to the keel in the forward area to get her to sit on her marks, so this also helped stabilize the hull and offset the high cg.

And the beam being almost one third her length, which helps in lateral stability. If she was any narrower, I would have to limit the number of folks on deck.

The two PDF's are postcards that show the Nellie G. and how the passengers arranged themselves. Incredible how top heavy she could handle.

I figured out how to import the pics, sans PDF...

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Feb 01, 2020 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2020, 07:56 AM
Recreational Engineer
Thanks - great photos!
Oct 04, 2020, 01:42 PM
Fantastic model!

Where did you manage to find the plans for the Nellie G.? I saw the original kit came from Freedom Song Boatworks (Ted Stinson). I'd be up for buying a set if I could find them.
Oct 11, 2020, 04:17 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Thread OP
Thanks, Klem...you may find a kit on ebay which will include the plans. $85 was the msrp and that is still a fair price today...I've seen them go higher and also lower...luck must come in and there is usually a very long time between kits showing up for sale, then two will show up...you know how ebay is...still, it's a very rare kit.

If you're going to build a bigger or smaller version, you'll still need the kit. Not all the 'parts' are on the plan sheets...for example, the bulkhead frame drawings are separate and come spray-adhered to balsa sheets for cutting out. A lot of the cabin parts are treated the same way.

After cutting out the parts, the scrap wood and paper templates are tossed out, not realizing that the 'plan set' is now incomplete. I am guilty of this and had to draw my own frames from measurements taken from the completed kit hull. I had to build a slightly larger hull after placing some Prieser figures aboard the finished kit hull. They shrunk the already small ferry. I thought I could get away with it...think again...

I have the kit hull and cabin done, just in raw wood, not sealed or painted yet...if any one is interested in saving some time and money, PM me...$50 and buyer pays shipping...

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Nov 04, 2020 at 06:34 PM.
Oct 27, 2020, 11:14 AM
These are from the same designer as the Nellie G and she was listed in the same list.
At one time you could find them here;
http://www.sidestreet.info/railways/gr.home.html
Scroll down to the bottom and click on plans, this will take you to a page labeled " Plans from Garden Railways" and your thinking what the heck I want boats not trains, well scroll down to
29-A Rangeley: A Maine lake steamboat (hull, deck, fantail roof) Aug 97
29-B Rangeley: A Maine lake steamboat (deck house, pilot house, running gear, R/C system) Oct 97
Further down you will find
61-A 1:24-scale tugboat Arnold S. (frame and hull) Aug 03
61-B 1:24-scale tugboat Arnold S. (deck house and fittings) Oct 03
Sidestreet no longer has these and I have not found them anywhere.
Gerald.
Oct 27, 2020, 10:42 PM
wow she is a beauty.
Oct 29, 2020, 07:04 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Thread OP
Thanks c-g...and thanks sbm for the plan links, well done...

Joe
Nov 04, 2020, 09:03 AM
They do not have the Nellie-G, but they do have the rest;
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/produ...nload/grpdf099
Nautical Package -Full- Size Drawing
Item #GRPDF099 PRICE $8.95
Plan set 29A: Rangeley: A Maine Lake Steamer (hull, deck, fantail roof, 1:22.5 scale)
Plan set 29B: Rangeley: A Maine Lake Steamer (deck house, pilot house, running gear, r/c system, 1:22.5 scale)
Plan set 46A: Amazing Grace, a Maine scow sloop in ½" scale: Part 1
Plan set 46B: Amazing Grace, a Maine scow sloop in ½" scale: Part 2
Plan set 61A: Arnold S., a 1:24-scale yard tug: Part 1
Plan set 61B: Arnold S., a 1:24-scale yard tug: Part 2
Plan set 77A: 1:20.30-scale lobster boat: Part 1
Plan set 77B: 1:20.30-scale lobster boat: Part 2
Plan set 77C: 1:20.30-scale lobster boat: Part 3
Gerald.
Dec 04, 2020, 02:15 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Thread OP
The kit hull and cabin plus plans are sold...thanks!

Quick Reply