Jan 11, 2020, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

TP4070 Dynamax Conversion

Did anybody try to use the TP4070 with the Dynamax DF conversation?

There are so many electric conversions threats and best so far was one that I found was from par_18 with Het 800 68 685kv, which gives you around 18lb thrust.

I know that he offer a set up with TP5870 up to 30lb, however I am looking only for 50mm diameter motor

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by superjet; Jan 11, 2020 at 06:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2020, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
What would be the ideal over for the TP4070? Same as the Het 685kv?

Even if it could handle more power kw?
Jan 11, 2020, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
———-
Last edited by superjet; Jan 11, 2020 at 08:15 PM.
Jan 12, 2020, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjet
Did anybody try to use the TP4070 with the Dynamax DF conversation?

There are so many electric conversions threats and best so far was one that I found was from par_18 with Het 800 68 685kv, which gives you around 18lb thrust.

I know that he offer a set up with TP5870 up to 30lb, however I am looking only for 50mm diameter motor

Any advice would be appreciated.
The TP Power 4070 is a 40mm motor—I have several 4070 motors in 90mm fans and they work very well in that application...In a Dynamax application I would be concerned if the 4070 would have enough torque...Especially at startup as I would use a soft or super soft startup. TP doesn't offer a 50mm motor and should as there's definitely a need for them to compete with the HET 800 series motors. Speaking of the 800 series HET motors I would go with one of those in the Dynamax but if you can step up to a 56mm motor that would be better IMHO….I have a Shubeler 120mm fan and am using a TP Power 5670 in that application---It's a MONSTER of a motor!!!

Kevin
Jan 12, 2020, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advise! Any experience with SSS motor. I was not able to find any with 50mm either

QUOTE=Kevin Greene;43580631]The TP Power 4070 is a 40mm motor—I have several 4070 motors in 90mm fans and they work very well in that application...In a Dynamax application I would be concerned if the 4070 would have enough torque...Especially at startup as I would use a soft or super soft startup. TP doesn't offer a 50mm motor and should as there's definitely a need for them to compete with the HET 800 series motors. Speaking of the 800 series HET motors I would go with one of those in the Dynamax but if you can step up to a 56mm motor that would be better IMHO….I have a Shubeler 120mm fan and am using a TP Power 5670 in that application---It's a MONSTER of a motor!!!

Kevin[/QUOTE]
Jan 12, 2020, 03:03 PM
I sent an email to TP asking about 50 mm motors.
Jan 12, 2020, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjet
Thanks for the advise! Any experience with SSS motor. I was not able to find any with 50mm either

QUOTE=Kevin Greene;43580631]The TP Power 4070 is a 40mm motor—I have several 4070 motors in 90mm fans and they work very well in that application...In a Dynamax application I would be concerned if the 4070 would have enough torque...Especially at startup as I would use a soft or super soft startup. TP doesn't offer a 50mm motor and should as there's definitely a need for them to compete with the HET 800 series motors. Speaking of the 800 series HET motors I would go with one of those in the Dynamax but if you can step up to a 56mm motor that would be better IMHO….I have a Shubeler 120mm fan and am using a TP Power 5670 in that application---It's a MONSTER of a motor!!!

Kevin
[/QUOTE]

No experience with SSS motors but I did look at the specs for them. They have similar specs to comparable HET, Leopard, etc...I have become a huge TP Power fan and will always go with them if possible. For a custom motor that can be made to order they cannot be beaten. Our inrunner ducted fan motors are actually an offshoot of the development of high performance boat motors...That’s where TP Power got their start...

Kevin
Jan 12, 2020, 03:12 PM
I have experience with a SSS 5694 in a Schuebeler HDS 86 fan, same one you have Kevin. Works very well there on 8kW+ so I'd say they are nice motors. Also have a 56114 and a 56123 in a Aeronaut TF 8000 fan, I need more testing there to find the right combo of motor and cellcount but they are good value for money. I'm also running a 3674 in a 90mm Wemo Midi which is also a good setup so I have good experience with their motor range so far.
Jan 13, 2020, 07:37 AM
TPPower got back to me already: "Any data sheets about 50mm motors? We are interested in it."
Jan 13, 2020, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
TPPower got back to me already: "Any data sheets about 50mm motors? We are interested in it."
They don’t sell 50mm motors so they are asking for data....They won’t make 50mm motors unless there’s a demand for them. I’m well versed with their motors for 90mm and larger fan units—40mm and 56mm motors...They also sell 36mm motors and below for smaller fan units but I haven’t used one of those yet. The 42xx and 58xx motors are 40mm and 56mm motors respectively but with a machined-in ribbed heat sink on the case that makes these motors 2mm larger in diameter....Those motors usually won’t fit in fan units where 40mm and 56mm motors are called for. TP Power also used to sell complete pre-balanced and assembled motor/fan unit combos but don’t any more. These were Taft fan units with TP Power motors...Now, I believe the only fan/motor combo that they sell appear to be the Taiwan Tornado fan units that are all alloy as per the JP Hobby fan units.

Hope this info helps!!!....Kevin
Jan 13, 2020, 09:31 AM
Off course. The whole point of asking was to get them to make 50 mm motors. What should I tell them we need? I'm going to link to Par's thread I think, and some HET motors.
Jan 13, 2020, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Off course. The whole point of asking was to get them to make 50 mm motors. What should I tell them we need? I'm going to link to Par's thread I think, and some HET motors.
My bad!!!..I initially read your post as that you contacted TP Power to purchase a motor....

I would give them both the stats from HET and the information in Par’s thread. My experience with TP Power is that they have about a six week turn-around for custom wound motors with parts that they already have in stock..( They advertise as being a 4 week wait but it’s always been a little longer)...So, with that in mind those needing a 50mm motor immediately may want to go with HET’s 800 series instead.

As far as info to TP Power I would suggest a medium-long length can motor with the kv ratings for 12S to 14S to start as that’s the battery setup that I believe most would use. (I could be mistaken about this as the only Dynamax unit that I’ve run with an electric motor was one cut down to 100mmm)....Since I’m not familiar with running a full sized Dynamax fan unit with electric power you would need to consult those that have about acceptable amperage limits given for the kv and battery cell count.

IMHO—I would run a 56mm motor in the Dynamax and limit the 50mm motors for 120mm fan units and smaller due to the torque requirements. Rotors of this size and weight also suggests a soft or super-soft start...The Shubeler 120mm fan unit that I have has a rotor that weighs a significant amount—Although the diameter is small in comparison to running a large prop there’s still a lot of mass to overcome on the start, hence Shubeler recommending a soft/super soft start even when using a very “torquey” 56mm motor.

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jan 13, 2020 at 10:29 AM.
Jan 13, 2020, 10:42 AM
Battery Puffer
Par also sells the conversion kit for Dynamax fans so you can run 56mm motors.
Jan 13, 2020, 11:01 AM
But that requires a custom long shaft motor I think.
Jan 13, 2020, 11:16 AM
I always thought 50 mm already was pretty big for 120 mm fans. They take up a huge amount of FSA, especially with a heatsink. It makes a lot of sense to me to have a long 50 mm motor for high power.

Quick Reply