Jan 11, 2020, 03:23 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
Discussion

Melted Wheels, Krafts

You guys ever seen this ? Maybe if you live in the desert, or left your wheels in a burning car. Of the 3 pair I had up for sale, 3 inchers, I only opened two boxes when taking pictures. I opened this last one up, when I had inquiries about these. Just like some tar was poured in there.

Vince
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2020, 10:25 PM
Wow! Those were subjected to significant heat
Jan 11, 2020, 11:12 PM
You may want to look at Kraft's warranty. Maybe they're still covered.
Jan 11, 2020, 11:40 PM
Problem is, Kraft is no more... long gone. And Ohio Superstar didn't pickup wheel manufacture, and certainly not warranty coverge
Jan 12, 2020, 03:16 AM
Sarcasm, not a serious comment.
Jan 12, 2020, 04:59 AM
Oh... ok... sorry!
Jan 12, 2020, 08:06 AM
Oxford Panic
Some soft plastics degrade over time no heat necessary although heat will accelerate the process.
Jan 12, 2020, 08:47 AM
AMA 477098, - Jimmy Russell
Sometimes rubber will turn into gooey tar in time. I bought a plane that had tar jelly for the DB engine soft mount bushings. He included a NOS set that were jelly in the pack. I wont buy anything "NOS" or made of rubber that's old. Sometimes dry rot and cracked sometimes a jelly mess.
Last edited by Mr-Punk; Jan 12, 2020 at 08:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Jan 12, 2020, 08:49 AM
Still gassin' it.
Can be heat, can be draught, can be radiation, but can also be something as simple as exposure to gasoline vapours or such
Jan 12, 2020, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
Oh... ok... sorry!
I'm just messing with Vince.
Jan 12, 2020, 12:28 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
I have been into Krafts for eons, never had a pair like that, or any wheels. I have seen melted battery packs though, old days.

V
Jan 13, 2020, 03:17 AM
So I thought that the old Kraft wheels where vulcanized. Thinkin that someone tried to remake that set with another type of rubber.

If the krafts are vulcanized then thats a fake set or at least the tire material is.

Looks like some type of solvent melted them.
Jan 13, 2020, 08:32 AM
I agree with Roguedog. I am in the process of moving and just encountered my old Kraft wheels; 6 or 8 well used and 3 pairs still NIP: all in great shape. They are almost indestructible!
Jan 13, 2020, 08:49 AM

A Little "Elbow" Grease......

Get out the lacquer thinner, acetone, rags, gloves (ventilation to) and go to work and throw on some Du-bro replacements of the same size. Should work ok. That way, the 'rubber' on the Du-bro's would be new also. Love Krafts, flew them in the pattern days.

Mike
Jan 13, 2020, 08:59 AM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
I did clean off the rubber with lacquer thinner. These are Kraft-Hayes boxed. I am slowly letting many go except the 2.25"-2.0"-1.50".

Finding the 1,50", just surprised they were made in that size. I put many 2.50" up for sale, no serious offers, except some dudes wanted them for almost nothing. I just had a serious offer on the 3", and let them all go.

These Krafts run hot and cold on selling, and as you know, there is no $$ to be made here. I think we buy them, they sit around the shop for sometime, move them here and there, and finally get tired of looking at them.

V

Quick Reply