Apr 05, 2005, 11:29 AM
What kind of current do the 180's draw? Are you using those 4 blade props you made?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2005, 11:31 AM
'Riders fan.
'180' ? Do you have a link to the specific motor?
Apr 05, 2005, 02:18 PM
Lipo sucker
A Mabuchi 180 draws around 4 amps and as much as 6, depending on the props used. If you use a 4x3.5 I think it uses 4 amps. With my 4 blade props I use 3.7 amps with 2 cells or 4.1 with 3 cells. You can buy these type motors anywhere. Tower Hobby http://www.towerhobbies.com/, Hobby People and so on carry them. They are around $7.00 each and will outlast IPS motors by miles. Yes, I am flying the 4 blade props. Just going by feel I think I have doubled my power. I can't quite hover....but I can almost climb like heli .
Apr 05, 2005, 03:54 PM
I am glad to hear that Cpt.Krunch. I am 90% done with my c130. I am using 4 cd roms and 4 7x5 cut to 5. Can't wait to fly it! Just need 2 more esc.
Apr 05, 2005, 04:41 PM
Lipo sucker
Cptn. Nitro,
That is NUTS! I wish I had done that. You realize that you will be in the history books with this one. I like the size of the props you used too. They look more scale than mine. You will love this plane overpowered. I have been doing some maniac flying with this. All that power makes for some fun too, like outrunning a GWS Mustang ...sorry Chet, I had to. Whilst flying at the local park, Chet remarked that I should put my plane on a diet...then I BLEW by his 'Stang with my fat old Herc. Silly kids...
Cheers,
Cptn.K
Apr 05, 2005, 04:57 PM
I had to use the bigger twin motor cells and cowls. Also I have 4 little screamers on the side just in case .I was told that with 4 ls this plane will just about hover. I changed my mind at the last minute. I used the cdr to save weight. Also, I just might make 2 lh props so they can couter rotate. Its a bear to balance them!
Apr 07, 2005, 05:53 PM
'Riders fan.
As this seems to have turned into the 'unofficial' CC130 build thread, I thought I'd post my progress.

Here the fuse bottom has been masked and painted silver, now the whole fuse has been masked (the bags the parts are shipped in make great paint masks) to paint the elevators. Finished it will be painted RCAF colours circa late 1960's. And probably a CFB Trenton squadron.

Masking and painting of silver and red on the elevators, fuse, and fin/rudder complete.

Here the grey walk ways have been painted on the wings and top of fuse. The silver for the wing tops and bottoms is waiting until I have the motors and other bits and parts on the wing.

The four required motors arrived today so I have to sit down and figure out how I'm going to mount them. The engine cowlings should be used for looks. I don't trust them structurally to hold the motors or thrust they produce.
Apr 07, 2005, 09:32 PM
That's very nice. I was going for that same era. c-130a of the 463rd 82nd airborne division. I hope this pic looks better. I am still new at this.
Apr 07, 2005, 10:04 PM
Gloves are awkward
captinnitro,

that silver colour looks hot - what is it?

Joseph
Apr 07, 2005, 10:35 PM
Top Flite MonoKote Chrome 25' http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHW28&P=7 I glassed it first. I still got a little distortion. You have to move fast. A friend at the club said by adding isopropyl, you activate the glue faster. If I had to do it all over again I would cut panels and do one panel at a time.
Apr 08, 2005, 08:23 PM
Jack of all trades!
What is everyones all up weight including battery, I weight mine and it was a FAT ALBERT alright at almost 21oz. you think this thing will fly o.k.?? Thats including the battery and all. The plane looks really cool, can't wait to fly it, if it does that at all??

Thanks for the input..

Chris
Apr 09, 2005, 05:16 PM
'Riders fan.
Just a bit more on what I've been doing..

All the control surface hardware is complete. I gave in and used the two servos on the wing to control the alierons. I guess when they're covered and painted you won't notice too much.

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the motors. My kit wasn't designed to be a 4 motor unit so I don't have all the complete hardware. According to an email from GWS they don't sell spare parts for this kit so you can't simply buy the correct parts.. seems strange to me.

Anyway, more work on the markings. I don't know who had the idea to use 'lightning bolts' on RCAF aircraft but it certainly makes for a challenge when modelling. I've used red model tape and white tamiya paints for this.

Apr 09, 2005, 06:46 PM
What do you need? I might be able to make you a few part. I made a few extra cuss I ran into the same problem. I am using 4 of the twin motor mounts and coulings. I swap them for 3 small ones with a guy on here.
Apr 09, 2005, 06:53 PM
'Riders fan.
Well I purchased the four motors that are required but they didn't come with mounting screws. Not that much of a big deal. The real problem is that GWS vacuforms over top of male molds. This makes the top of the part very thin plastic (due to stretching). Unfortunately this is the location for the motor mount. If GWS would use female molds it would be a more uniform thickness. I'm going to have to build a mount for the motor that is similar to the IPS400 style.
Apr 09, 2005, 07:27 PM
I have a stock c130 and a brushless one one the stock I usex a mixure if epoxy resin mixed with carbon. mixed it to a thick mixture and used it to glue some .008 carbon laminate tape. I put all of it inside the cowlings. after it was dry I drilled them out. It makes for a very strong yet light part. I'll look for some pics of it. I guess .050 glass and epoxy would do the trick too. But the carbon makes it as stiff as steel!