C-130 build tips? - Page 4 - RC Groups
Apr 01, 2005, 01:16 PM
'Riders fan.
Anyone have suggestions for controlling the alerions from a single servo hidden in the fuse? I really do dislike the whole "servos hanging off the wing" setup.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2005, 04:40 PM
Vogon's fly
I purchased a second set of wings for my quad from GWS, as in my box... I got a couple of "Twin" motor mounts and cowls. I will soon be building that set of wings so I have the two to compare. Mine flies on a 3 cell 1900 pack. On its maiden flight, it took off like a Harrier. I have still to fix that little problem.
Last edited by Vogon; Apr 01, 2005 at 05:08 PM.
Apr 01, 2005, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winter
Anyone have suggestions for controlling the alerions from a single servo hidden in the fuse? I really do dislike the whole "servos hanging off the wing" setup.
Dislike the the servo positioning you may but two HS55's or similar size 1kg thrust servos will fit very neatly in each wing, give very direct and very exact throws, nothing like the slop you will get with a torque rod feed from the centre.
Remember if you use one servo it will need to be larger to drive all that machenical coupling and two surfaces.
The other benefit of two servos..... put the second servo into an AUX channel and mix in flaps, real cool, especially if you apply 10degrees of up you will get the nose up landing effect of a Herc, see Jarheads thread.
Apr 01, 2005, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogon
Mine flies on a 3 cell 1900 pack. On its maiden flight, it took off like a Harrier. I have still to fix that little problem. .
Wow 3S what motors are supplied with the two motor version ?
Apr 01, 2005, 05:10 PM
Vogon's fly
Not sure, can anyone else help with that. I think the instructions mention 300's. I will have to check. I have added a little more detail to the model now, and included Ultra Bright LED lighting. very difficult to get a shot of it though.
Last edited by Vogon; Apr 01, 2005 at 05:34 PM.
Apr 01, 2005, 09:14 PM
Vertically challenged.
Vogon, that looks fantastic. Where did you get the lights?

Hmmm..... I may have to do that too.

Kevin
Apr 01, 2005, 10:42 PM
Vertically challenged.
David: I agree about hanging servo's in the wind. I don't like to see them either. But after reading a couple of posts, I decided to do it. Like Jarhead said, you can use them as flaps or spoilers.

I have a question: does anyone see the need to have the undercarriage assembly held on like the wing? I was going to glue mine permanently, cause I dont ever plan to try retracts with this. Any thoughts?
One thing I did do though was to sink the main gear further into the fuse so they dont look to unsightly. I did the same to the front gear.

I will post more pics after I hear about the main gear issue.

Kevin
Apr 02, 2005, 01:04 AM
'Riders fan.
If you're building to kit instructions, the battery pack is located in the removable wheel area. In order to charge it you need to remove it. These batteries get extremely hot when charging so I've never felt it a good idea to leave them in the model while doing so.
Apr 02, 2005, 01:17 AM
Vertically challenged.
Thanks David. Thats ok then, cause I am moving my battery into the forward fuse compartment so I don't have to add weight to the nose. I am using lipo's so i may need the ability to move it around..
I will glue it in then.

Did you decide what to do with your servo's yet?

Kevin
Apr 02, 2005, 04:49 PM
HOLY COW!!!!!! Vogon those lights look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Kevin (AKA vise101) for starting this thread!!!

Thank you Jarhead for all of the pics and useful tips! I don't care what my girlfriend says, I'M GETTING THIS PLANE, I'M GETTING THIS PLANE!

My biggest fear was that there wouldn't be a lot of info out there for this plane and this thread alone takes that fear away!

Thanks guys and keep up the good work. I have to warn you...I will most likely have a lot of questions, so thanks in advance.

Nick

PS Man, those lights look FREAKIN' HOT!!!!!!
Apr 02, 2005, 05:25 PM
The Cocky One!

You got it Buddy!

The pleasure is mine. Jarhead
Apr 03, 2005, 07:30 AM
You can get great light kits from curtek.com I had a set on my slowstick and flew it in the middle of the night at work. Great fun! It was like a flying Christmas tree.
Apr 03, 2005, 02:09 PM

Query on the motors

I'm using the four stock motors provided in the kit and whenever I've built models with stock brushed motors 300/400 I've made an effort to run them in very gently for a couple of hours or on a couple of alkaline cells with the motors running in water. I've not used these small motors before. are they made up the same way as the sp 300 / 400 motors? Will they benefit from a little running in?
Apr 05, 2005, 02:09 AM
Vertically challenged.
Well, progress is kinda slow at the moment. Just a lot of sanding and filling. I was thinking of spraying a light coat of wbpu but was concerned about the weight. Any thoughts?

thermite: I am not too sure about the motor issue. I do not think you will want to wear the brushes on these little motors too much. I dont think there is much there to begin with. Maybe someone could clear it up for us?
Post some pics of your build too.

Kevin
Apr 05, 2005, 11:27 AM
Lipo sucker
Hello,
David W,
I did the torque tubes on my wing rather than two servos. It was very simple to do and if you do it right, there will be no slop in the linkage. I did use a larger 9g Waypoint servo. After the first couple of flights I see this plane slows down really nice anyways. Flaps would be cool though. I did not use the stock motors either, they are just too short lived for my liking. On a multi-motor plane you will hate life when an outboard motor stops working. I always give the rudder maximum throws on multis for that very reason. I installed 180s and I have more power and endurance than I will ever need on this one. Here are some 1st flight shots.