Mar 27, 2005, 09:28 PM
Might be helpful if somebody could post any other links of the GWS Herc build which could be usefull, I haven't come across too many yet. I like to know that I'll get a build right first time.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2005, 11:59 PM
Vertically challenged.
OK, got some more done.
Wiring is done through the wing. The black tape on the servo's is just so they don't fall out. Temporary connections at the motors. I just had to get them all going. Sounds great and they seem to have plenty of thrust.
Has anyone tried the 3030 props yet? Mine came with 3020's.

Here are a couple of pics, and the rubber bands are just temporary.

Kevin.
Mar 28, 2005, 12:00 AM
Vertically challenged.
Had to run up the motors.....
Mar 28, 2005, 12:30 AM
Sweet! You gonna paint the props? What sort of paint would be best to use on the little props?
Mar 28, 2005, 12:40 AM
Vertically challenged.
Thanks thermite. The kit comes with black props, I just pressed these ones onto the motor shaft so I sould play. Comes also with little prop adapters to mount the props on and so you can attach the spinners. No idea where to get the little adapters yet, cause I need some more. After this I may have to build another multi. I have 8 of these motors sitting in a box. I was thinking a Spruce Goose out of foam. Or maybe a small pusher B-36.

Kevin
Mar 29, 2005, 04:10 AM
I'm trying to decide which colour scheme to go for. I'd like to go with an authentic British Royal Air Force scheme, anyone got any examples?
Mar 29, 2005, 08:24 AM
The Cocky One!

You got it Buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermite
I'm trying to decide which colour scheme to go for. I'd like to go with an authentic British Royal Air Force scheme, anyone got any examples?
Try this page. Jarhead
Mar 30, 2005, 03:40 AM
I think I'll model mine on the same one which went down in Iraq with our boys on it in memory of the lives lost.
Mar 30, 2005, 08:26 AM
The Cocky One!

Nice Choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermite
I think I'll model mine on the same one which went down in Iraq with our boys on it in memory of the lives lost.
Jarhead
Mar 30, 2005, 08:10 PM
Vertically challenged.
Well progress has been a little slow. Have been cutting and hinging the control surfaces. I don't know why but that is my least favorite part of a build. Tail surfaces done, still have to do the ailerons. I left the tail feahters stock, but I used a strip of valemat( I think that is how to spell it) on each of the ailerons. I used some WBPU and 2 coats on each of them. Added a bit of strength with little weight gain.
I have seen a couple of posts that guys are adding weight to the noses. Since I hate doing that, I decided to get the battery as far forward as possible to balance. (using lipos) I added a tray to the front of the hollow fuse that follows the line from the servo to the nose wheel. This way, I will also be able to secure the pushrod better. I may cut a hatch to allow better battery access after I mock it up and check where the battery needs to be.
Here is a pic of the batt tray(meat tray foam)....
Mar 31, 2005, 04:07 AM
Just got my fus halves together last night. I'd glued the pushrod guide in for the nose wheel and found that when I had it all assembled with the front gear, there was a lot of binding of the pushrod on the inside of the guide... I decided to pull the guide out and just have a small piece near the servo tray where it enters the front section of the fus. It's perfectly ok without the guide as the pushrods are quite rigid anyway.
Mar 31, 2005, 11:40 AM
"Cracking Toast Grommit!"
I bought my quad model for $85 the friday before Easter. I'm glad I found this thread, there aren't a lot of building threads out there. I have lived next to Pope AFB most all my life. My granddad was stationed here until he retired, and my dad retired here as well, so mine will be painted appropriately. Just before my dad retired, they reformed the Air Force and did away with MAC, getting the 23rd composite wing, adding F-16's, and A-10's to the existing array of C-130's, and C-141's. Some of the 130's, as well as the F-16's and A-10's got Flying Tiger Marks. I'm thinking of doing this. Does anyone know where to find those type of decals, or have plans, pics, scans? Here is a photo. Thanks. Brian
Apr 01, 2005, 12:52 AM
'cus I fly a long time
Hi Guys,
I have my C-130 kit and finding this thread has given me thing s to think about before I start building. I wan't to make mine a Spectre Gunship. I have had plenty of the motors burn out rather quickly in my pico moth and pico cub. What about adding feigo brushless to this ship? I don't want or need stupid power but like motors that I won't have to replace often.

Using the sticks for motor mounts is a cool idea would I save any on weight if I use carbon tubes?

"OH Cocky one" that is an awesome fat albert you did! are u going to add led's to simulate the jatos for night take-offs?

Thanks for the help thread!

Flying Camel

here is another thred with herky picts and info:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350041
Apr 01, 2005, 01:03 AM
Vertically challenged.
Hi Flying Camel.
Good luck with your build. I started this thread in the hopes that people would post some of their mods here so we dont have to go searching all over. Hope it will help you.
As far as the carbon rods go, I dont think you will save too much weight, the "mounts" are only 2" long per stick. You never know though....every little bit helps.
I did that cause the cowls are way too flimsy.

The Feigo brushless motors would be a nice way to go but would be rather expensive for 4 motors and 4 controllers. If I could afford it I would do it too.

Post some pics of how you do yours and any conversions you make.

Good luck.

Kevin
Apr 01, 2005, 01:17 AM
'cus I fly a long time
Hi Kevin,
I have 2 motors allready and 2 ESC's also. I have read others running 2 brusshless motors on 1 castle creations ESC so I would only need 2. I think it was KENSP who did it with his PBY catalina. I'm not to worried about the price since I am lazy and don't want to replace the motors.

I'm leaning twards building my first one all stock just to get experiance and then go brushless one a second. I'm having troubles making up my mind and just going for it.

For one thing I suck at doing the hinges so I hate doing that part. I have a light kit too and I think this is my best canidate for putting it in.

I wish they made 4 blade props for this bird.

I will keep in touch on how it goes building it. I also like you battery tray idea I have lots of different sized lipos and wonder which would be best in the Herky bird?

Flying Camel