Jan 10, 2020, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Castrol M-50 smell

Hi there. I live at Brazil and use a 100% synthetic oil ester based oil. It is a local brand named SmartLub. Very satisfied with it and using in all my glow engines. But, being old as I am, I have very good memories about the Castrol M-50 smell. Does anyone knows how to add such smell to the oil?? If not, is ther any kind of odorant that I could use to add any kind of (pleasant pleas ) odor to the oil ??
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2020, 08:23 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
There are all kinda "odorants" you can add to fuel. But unless that Castrol M-50 smelled like cherries, grapes or cotton candy and bubblegum I think your out of luck.....

Mike
Jan 11, 2020, 03:04 PM
You talked about the smell of Castrol M-50 last year. You haven't found any yet? Maybe Ebay or something could get you some. What is it? What happened to it and what does it smell like?
Jan 11, 2020, 03:28 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamandua_rj
Hi there. I live at Brazil and use a 100% synthetic oil ester based oil. It is a local brand named SmartLub. Very satisfied with it and using in all my glow engines. But, being old as I am, I have very good memories about the Castrol M-50 smell. Does anyone knows how to add such smell to the oil?? If not, is ther any kind of odorant that I could use to add any kind of (pleasant pleas ) odor to the oil ??
The only way to add that very specific smell to your oil, is by adding castor oil to your oil.

The last glow fuel I used, was 15% all synthetic, 2% Nitro, and when another 2% of castor was added, a hint of that nice smell returned to the exhaust…

It is the only way I am aware of, because NOTHING smells like Castor, but Castor itself.
Jan 11, 2020, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
There are all kinda "odorants" you can add to fuel. But unless that Castrol M-50 smelled like cherries, grapes or cotton candy and bubblegum I think your out of luck.....

Mike
Thirty years ago a local dealer started stocking those additives to make your exhaust smell good. We tried the bubble gum, cotton candy and rootbeer. Now at that time some friends and me were mostly flying helicopters. and working on F3C, I was doing a lot of hovering. On a calm day you would end up standing in a cloud of smoke. I really liked that rootbeer, and used it until I got tired of it. I mean really really tired of it. After that, it was a long time before I could drink rootbeer without gagging. It may sound like a good idea, but I think everyone who tries it gets tired of the stuff pretty quickly.
Jan 11, 2020, 08:08 PM
Klotz Benol has a lovely cherry smell that I haven't found tiresome.
Jan 11, 2020, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJeff
Klotz Benol has a lovely cherry smell that I haven't found tiresome.
I just ordered some of that. I cant wait to smell Klotz and Castor. If you like the smell of Klotz they have candles. My favorite saying at the field is , "I love the smell of Castor in the morning".

https://www.amazon.com/KLOTZ-2-Strok...ef_=ast_bbp_dp
Jan 11, 2020, 10:24 PM
You would need to add castor oil to your fuel to get the castor oil smell. Yeah I like the smell of castor oil in the morning. Afternoons too.
Latest blog entry: yes I still fly airplanes too
Jan 12, 2020, 12:06 PM
....but what is or was Castrol M-50??? It is not Castor oil I suspect. I can't find any listings for it.
Jan 12, 2020, 12:46 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPilotFL
....but what is or was Castrol M-50??? It is not Castor oil I suspect. I can't find any listings for it.
Seems to be an oil specifically for the south american market. The only link I find seems to be Brazilian.

https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/ac...2t-castrol-m50
Jan 12, 2020, 01:56 PM
I used to use Castrol A747 in two stroke race bikes. they no longer sell it in the US, and I'm not sure if they still produce it. It was castor based, although they never would say what it was blended with. I have a couple of candles around the house that are A747 scented, and have to light them up once in a while.
Jan 12, 2020, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
Seems to be an oil specifically for the south american market. The only link I find seems to be Brazilian.

https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/ac...2t-castrol-m50
Yep, looks like it is still available there. A little bit of that in the fuel should give it the nice smell the OP is looking for.
Jan 13, 2020, 02:59 AM
Win some lose some
I know that Byron's fuel has a distinct castor smell . Even other flyer's have made comments about the smell , and positive comments too.

Quick Reply