This thread is privately moderated by earlwb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 10, 2020, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

yes I still fly airplanes too

Wow it has been like 4 years since I posted a blog entry. I thought I would add a new blog entry as I had not done one in quite a while now. I still fly airplanes and helicopters though. I have been gravitating more and more towards electric powered airplanes though. Plus going larger in size too.

I retired the Aeroworks profile Extra plane. I pulled my gear out of it and left it at the flying field for someone else to enjoy. it flew OK, but I just didn't like how it flew for me. It always seemed to just lumber through the rolls slowly, albeit nicely though.

The Hangar 9 Frenzy 100 flew much more like how I like them to fly. I first flew it with a OS FS91 four stroke engine. But it was a little under powered. I didn't want to buy a Saito 1.25 engine which is what it was made for though. I later converted it to electric using a Turnigy C6374-200kv motor. Using a 6 cell 5000 mah Lipo pack worked nicely with it as well as using a 20-6 prop on it. Alas the fuselage isn't quite large enough for a 8 cell Lipo pack. But it flies really well with the 6 cell pack. So I like it. I am leery of the single nylon 1/4x32 bolt used to hold the wing on. i replace the wing bolt from time to time just in case. I ought to put in a aluminum bolt instead.

I actually used the same C6374 Motor in a Giant Stick too. But I can run 8 cells with it. To get the speed up I had to use a 18x12 propeller. The C6374-200kv motor just doesn't rev up very high and the prop clearance has a 18 inch as being about the largest size prop you can run on it anyway. I fly it around at 1/2 throttle most of the time though, so the current draw is quite low at around 40-45 amps cruising. These 63-74-200kv motors were only rated at a max of 8 lipo cells. They later came out with newer motors that can run 10 or 12 Lipo packs for power.

The other two planes is Hangar 9 Escapade .40 and on the table is a RB3 .46 low wing sport pattern plane from about 30 years ago. Both were flown glow power at first, then on to using little gasoline engines and finally both converted over to electric power. The RB3 still flies great and has survived all this time still. Both of these planes make great windy day planes too.
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 10, 2020 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply