Jan 14, 2020, 07:08 AM
I'm now using a product called Noma Plan by a company named NMC. It's available in 4mm and 7mm thickness and is completely white.

It's just 11 Euro for 4sqm. Don't know if it's available in your country. I buy it in Germany in Hornbach hardware stores. The company is from Luxembourg, I think. They say they are selling in 120 countries.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2020, 10:04 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspeer
I have cases of 6 mm MPF. How difficult is it to slice to 3 mm with a hot wire?
It is dead easy to slice foam to any thickness you like.

Tom
Jan 14, 2020, 04:49 PM
What if I don't have oak for the weights, only pine? ;-)

Actually I have a setup identical to what you show - same hardware for the uprights and shims, even! My question was really aimed at the sliceability of MPF compared to other foams. You've answered that very well.

I've not done anything with Depron, yet, as I'm saving my precious supply for something really worth it. However, it's hard to imagine a more suitable foam for building than MPF. I think it's technically much better than $TF. Availability is a different issue.
Jan 15, 2020, 07:27 AM

Foam post depron

Efightrays, I love balsa, could you use thinner balsa than 6mm Depron. If model turns out heavier would I have to to upgrade power system. Thans
Jan 15, 2020, 09:43 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus1
Efightrays, I love balsa, could you use thinner balsa than 6mm Depron. If model turns out heavier would I have to to upgrade power system. Thans
It depend on what type of model, it's a long long time since I built models using solid sheet balsa, (all flat wings and profile fuselages), a built up structure can be so much lighter plus you can get a better wing section profile.

There is a very good thread in the Balsa Builders forum for anyone not used to what can be achieved in balsa ---

Show off your naked wood!

Most of my Depron models are built on the same principle as a balsa build, 3-6mm Depron ribs or formers and 3mm outer skin. For a balsa build I generally used 3/32" or 1/8" balsa for ribs and formers and 1/16" balsa for any outer skin.

Balsa is one material where it pays to visit a good model shop and select the grade/weight of the balsa you want for specific jobs. The differences in weight can sometimes be surprising for the same size sheet of balsa, even double the weight. Balsa Wood isn't consistent like Depron.

That's what I found so good about the original white Depron foam, it was consistent. It was only the cost difference between balsa and Depron that converted me.

A possible alternative material is Correx/Coroplast type fluted plastic sheet (see the) - SPAD - Simple Plastic Airplane Designs forum. But it's not a material I have tried., or want to.

Ray.
Jan 15, 2020, 02:34 PM
Space Coast USA
Another option - balsa-foam
FuntanaMini - Uses 3mm foam with a balsa framework. Makes for a very strong wing.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...funtana%20mini

My build: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ni#post5116314
Jan 16, 2020, 06:43 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Corroplast isn’t that bad, just different …Different designing required … JMHO
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 16, 2020, 07:06 AM
Proudly Littering Upwards
I'll second the people above suggesting scavenging. I've only been in the hobby three years, but in that time I've built at least 45 different airframes of various sizes (plus a lot of rebuilds/reworks of many of them) and never paid a cent for foam - in fact, the closest I've come to paying for it was a $11 rubbish dump fee when my stash got a bit unruly and had to be culled down! :P

I've had a lot of my best material from sushi shops, supermarkets with fish departments etc. as fish is often delivered in big 30mm-walled EPS chilly-bins. Another good place to ask are shopfitters, they handle a lot of large foam panels as packaging material - I got some obscenely huge pieces once when a shop I worked in got remodelled, still haven't used that stuff up completely nearly two years later. There are many different grades, types, densities etc., but most/all can be sliced very thin with a basic hot-wire setup.

By way of example, here's a few I've made from scavenged foam semi-recently (the nicer-looking ones, I've made many far uglier, although that's more down to poor workmanship than materials.)
Jan 16, 2020, 07:47 AM

Coro

...my stash of depron, balsa and cf too are reserved for special projects

But I have had very satisfying results with coro and varieties of foam...the most recent being the floppy packing foam which is not rigid by itself but works well as a kf layer on coro. Best thing is it's ca-safe...so I just add spots of CA on coro or use patches of double sided tape to hold it in place. It can't be sanded so the leading edge is thinned using a clothes electric iron on low...once satisfied, tape it over starting and ending on coro..

..also notice how the dihedral is formed on the small pusher...it's one piece coro...with bamboo spars CA ed with 1 mm pcb braces...foam is added later ....it's 30" span and weighs 225g or 7.95 oz...(wish I had made it a little bigger)..

On a hard landing, coro tears..... usually at the fuse- wing joint or the aierol/elevon slit...so some taping prevents extensive damage...for spars, I use bamboo.

A good foam cutting set up is priceless...as I have salvaged excellent quality blocks for wing cores and fuselage for scale projects...

Edit: the yellow flying wing uses 3mm while the Frog uses 2mm + 6mm floppy foam for kf
Last edited by bmblb; Jan 16, 2020 at 01:17 PM.
Jan 16, 2020, 07:56 AM

Floppy foam

....this is the floppy packing foam... good for kfm layer....and coro sides for a Frog/Beagle variant

The black patches on the hinges are pieces of x-ray film CA-ed - over time, the single side of coro that serves as the hinge with tape over it deforms slightly due to use and heat/sun...these patches hold it in line so that you can peel the old and re tape and not disturb the original.
Last edited by bmblb; Jan 16, 2020 at 01:21 PM.
Jan 16, 2020, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om
It is dead easy to slice foam to any thickness you like.

Tom

Do you get any sag in the middle?
What type of wire and what relative settings would be good to start with?
I think I have seen you post your setup before for this and it looks very nice
Jan 16, 2020, 06:09 PM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
Do you get any sag in the middle?
What type of wire and what relative settings would be good to start with?
I think I have seen you post your setup before for this and it looks very nice
No sag. The foam is pushed in a linear manner, even if the wire bends a bit, it is all in the same plane.

Random photos attached.

Tom

Quick Reply