Jan 15, 2020, 09:25 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Aircraft
We're going to build this wing with the original open bay design that was another unique feature of Charlie's Turbo, rarely seen on solid foam core wing
As I mentioned above, I wanted to build this wing with the original Open Bay style of the original Turbo wing. I've built them both fully sheeted and with Open Bay and they come out the same, just a different look when the light hits the monokote

Anyway, here's what the sheeted wing looks like, before adding my root rib/cap and squaring off at the root.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2020, 07:20 AM
Oh OK thank you

Interesting
Jan 22, 2020, 05:15 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
Now that the wing sheeting is completed,

let's get started on the mechanics . I mentioned previously that there a couple of ways to secure the Drive Pin (ie hardwood block, epoxy hardspot). I've decided to go with the epoxy hardspot for this set.

I'll start by inserting the wing rod into the wing and fitting the wingeron actuator onto it. Next, insert the drive pin (music wire) into the actuator and align the wire with the midline of the foam wing core, at the root. Now, slowly rotate the music wire while applying force into the foam wing core, til it travels 2 in into the core. Viola

Next, I pull off the wing rod, actuator and drive pin and use a 1/4in drill bit to remove 1 in deep of foam core around the drive pin. This will create my hard spot.

Re-insert the drive pin, mix up some epoxy and micro balloons and fill in the relieved 1/4in diameter around the drive pin. I filled in the root area of the wing, as well to create a hard root rib . Place the wing rod and actuator back onto the wing to help maintain proper drive pin alignment and allow the epoxy to set up.
Jan 25, 2020, 07:23 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
I traced out a Half Stab from my Turbo St,

...and cut it out of 3/32" Balsa. Next I cut my " Brass tube to size for both the pivot rod n the swing rod. Cut the relief in the Stab and insert the Brass tubes. Then slide the Stab onto the Vertical Fin for the Show
Jan 25, 2020, 08:16 PM
Looks nice!

Feb 21, 2020, 04:11 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
I finished up my wingtips,....

....and covered both wings and hatch.

Here's what she looks like, before adding Turbo graphics to the top of the wing and some contrasting Black on the bottom surfaces
Feb 22, 2020, 07:35 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
Tough decision for the Bottom-side contrast,...

....between Black & White Checkered-board or Invasion Stripes.
Feb 22, 2020, 09:55 PM
It's not going to build itself
Looking great!
I still need to resurrect my Turbo.
Feb 24, 2020, 08:36 AM
Yes, looks really nice.

Tums up !
Feb 27, 2020, 12:53 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
Thanks

I liked the Invasion Stripes for added contrast, since Turbos can often be upside-down

I also put a Turbo sticker on the left wing panel about halfway out.

Added a 4cell 1300mAh 2/3 A battery from Aloft Hobbies and setup the stab to wing incidence and CG.

Now I just need to add a magnet to hold down the hatch and get her out for a remaiden flight
Last edited by CR_Aircraft; Feb 27, 2020 at 06:44 PM.
Mar 02, 2020, 01:35 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
Got a chance to get a couple of test glides in,....

....over the weekend, at the local park. Plenty of responsiveness on both pitch and roll, even on Low Rates.

Should be fun
Mar 04, 2020, 02:21 PM
Looking good chip glad to see ur getting it done!
Looks like it will be a real performer!!
Video it when you get it dialed in and in right conditions!!
Nice work!!
Mar 06, 2020, 10:33 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
Thanks Mike!
Mar 06, 2020, 10:42 PM
Always clean builds chip. I'm a little surprised the epoxy hard spot does the trick but also thankful because I was worried about the strength of the incidence pins on the plane I'm working on..
Mar 06, 2020, 10:47 PM
The Legend continues
Thread OP
With Saturday’s Forecast showing a Rain Out,....

I decided to get out today to enjoy the pre Storm Front wind in the mid teens at Coyote Hills. Perfect for remaidening this Turbo.

No surprises on launch, since I’d gotten a couple of Test Glides in at the local park. Elevator very responsive, as expected due to the short coupled flying stab but not bad on low rates. The old Futaba S33 helped slow the response and improved manageability
I few fast laps and axial rolls to shake her out,..... nice. Brought her around for a sweet Top of the Hill landing.
I’m thinking the short coupled flying stab may perform better with shorter 52in wings than these 60in ones.
Maybe I’ll make another shorter set for this fuselage and put these 60in wings on a New Turbo FG

Quick Reply