Nov 19, 2021, 11:55 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobie
A friend has a new one of these that he assemble but is afraid to fly and wants to know if I want to buy it for $200. He took it up a couple of times with one of our club mentors, but doesn't want it anymore, I'm more of a 3D guy, but this seems like a really good deal. Should I go for it?
It seems like a good deal to me, esp if it is BNF as opposed to PNP. Plane goes for 500 new.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2021, 02:17 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobie
A friend has a new one of these that he assembled but is afraid to fly and wants to know if I want to buy it for $200. He took it up a couple of times with one of our club mentors, but doesn't want it anymore, I'm more of a 3D guy, but this seems like a really good deal. Should I go for it?
It's a great plane, if you're in the mood for a nice warbird it sounds like a good deal.
It's one of the harder foam warbirds in the ground handling department but nothing an experienced tail dragger pilot shouldn't be able to adapt to.
Nov 19, 2021, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzir
It seems like a good deal to me, esp if it is BNF as opposed to PNP. Plane goes for 500 new.
That’s a great deal, hard to pass up this terrific steal. I’d say, go for it. I have one, flys extremely well due to its size,
Nov 20, 2021, 04:04 AM
Yup go for it, 200 for this plane is a steal indeed. Still have not flown mine . Finaly this weekend i have time but now the weather is bad. Again no maiden for me.
Nov 30, 2021, 08:05 PM
I finally got my hands on one of these today and was highly impressed aside from the seemingly low roll rate. One takeoff, one landing. I was pleasantly surprised how straight it tracked on takeoff with slow power application, getting the tail up when it was ready and right rudder when pulling up. Flew like it was on rails and looked phenomenal in the air.

First landing was not my best but no crusher either. I’ve done much worse to other airplanes, and the f’ing left retract tried to come through the top of the wing. Grounded. If I had smashed it on I’d lick my wounds, fix and learn from the mistake. Not the case here though. Unimpressed with the durability of this airplane thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dec 01, 2021, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FracFlyer
I finally got my hands on one of these today and was highly impressed aside from the seemingly low roll rate. One takeoff, one landing. I was pleasantly surprised how straight it tracked on takeoff with slow power application, getting the tail up when it was ready and right rudder when pulling up. Flew like it was on rails and looked phenomenal in the air.

First landing was not my best but no crusher either. I’ve done much worse to other airplanes, and the f’ing left retract tried to come through the top of the wing. Grounded. If I had smashed it on I’d lick my wounds, fix and learn from the mistake. Not the case here though. Unimpressed with the durability of this airplane thus far.

I've flown mine several times and love it. Yesterday I took it out again after about a 3-month hiatus. Three flights and several landings, one that was less than butter-smooth . While loading up I noticed what looked like a crack in the paint and confirmed a crack in the foam on closer inspection. So, what's the best fix for this to get the crack fixed properly and looking ok? It almost looks like it's not cracked clear thru and might be just a "bruise". I'll be adding some thin carbon mat with the repair as well.
Dec 01, 2021, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP
I've flown mine several times and love it. Yesterday I took it out again after about a 3-month hiatus. Three flights and several landings, one that was less than butter-smooth . While loading up I noticed what looked like a crack in the paint and confirmed a crack in the foam on closer inspection. So, what's the best fix for this to get the crack fixed properly and looking ok? It almost looks like it's not cracked clear thru and might be just a "bruise". I'll be adding some thin carbon mat with the repair as well.

Not real sure. I’ve seen a couple of possible fixes including expanding the foam out and using CA/accelerator. Possibly what I’m going to do with it but I’m not sure how to reinforce the gear well. I have experience glassing a model as has been mentioned. Someone else mentioned 3M duct tape in the various required colors.

I wasn’t comfortable flying it with the damage to mine so it was done for the day. It’ll be a fun one once it’s fixed though.

Dec 01, 2021, 03:36 PM
Yup i finaly maidened mine aswel. It wasnt for long there was way to much crosswind starting up just when i took off. Just my luck
It took of nicely indeed. no problem. I will have to lower the throwes a bit on the elevator but that was about it. It flies a bit to slow for my taste and it floats way to much It gave me sense of false security . I came in a bit to slow and it came down a bit hard on one gear. Apart from the gear locking up( fixed it already) and the obvious crack in the wing it is alright. i think it floats so much because of the As3x . I think i will turn it off on the next flight and see how it flyes then. I would have liked a bit less tork and a bit more speed .

Ah and the wing cracked even after i epoxed and placed glassviber in it. That is way to little foam on that spot.
Last edited by Robsy; Dec 02, 2021 at 01:47 AM.
Dec 01, 2021, 09:12 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Mine cracked above the retract early on from a less that fantastic landing but hasn't gotten any worse after many flights. I have done nothing to reinforce it either.
From what I can tell so far it's just cosmetic. Looks bad but doesn't seem to get any worse once it cracks.

I would just continue to fly your planes and keep an eye on it.
Dec 02, 2021, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Mine cracked above the retract early on from a less that fantastic landing but hasn't gotten any worse after many flights. I have done nothing to reinforce it either.
From what I can tell so far it's just cosmetic. Looks bad but doesn't seem to get any worse once it cracks.

I would just continue to fly your planes and keep an eye on it.

When the airplane moves forward it separates the foam pretty bad. Otherwise I was going to fly it again. Definitely needs fixing, just added to the list of things to fix on other airplanes.[emoji38]

Dec 03, 2021, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Turned out to be an easy fix. Just popped off the gear and found it was pretty close to a clear thru crack but not in the servo recess as I had originally feared. Just a crack in the strut well toward the leading edge. Epoxy and some carbon mat did the trick and it's not even noticeable. Weather permitting, I'll torture test it tomorrow.
Dec 03, 2021, 02:09 AM
Flyin Time
Quote:
Turned out to be an easy fix. .
No pictures ??
Dec 04, 2021, 08:22 PM
does anyone have a source for the c-clips for the main wheel axles, maybe a multi-piece set?

I picked up a set of Robart tires a months ago and pulled the clips off and thought I put em in a safe place and just this eve went to install the wheels and they've vanished

the HH pics are hard to tell if they are the same and thought the $7 C-Clip Pins and Retract Hinge Set might work and the $21 Wheel set is too much as I don't need the tires...

Last edited by Mark Huff; Dec 05, 2021 at 12:28 AM.
Dec 04, 2021, 10:32 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Huff...The larger E-Clips in the Hinge Set would only be for the main axel, as the tail wheel and strut hinge E-clips are all the smaller size. Shaft Dia is 5mm and slot is 4.35mm
Dec 05, 2021, 12:31 AM
thank you sir... I ordered a 400 piece assortment of 14 sizes, should be here tomorrow, surely there will be something to fit
and I bet within a day or 2 later after installing the wheels I'll find the dang clips I misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra
Huff...The larger E-Clips in the Hinge Set would only be for the main axel, as the tail wheel and strut hinge E-clips are all the smaller size. Shaft Dia is 5mm and slot is 4.35mm

Quick Reply