Jan 09, 2020, 10:29 AM
Great job, Jason.

I love the paint scheme and removable wings for transport.

I hope to see more warbirds added to this roster like the mosquito & some axis power planes to make it fun at the field as well as give options to those of us who already have a stable full of mustangs.

Again, great job!

SnP

QUOTE=Jason M;43556431]I'm a bit partial to the color/trim scheme myself My first low wing model almost 30 years ago was a Dynaflite 40-sized Fun Scale P-51 that was covered almost exactly like this, one of my all-time favorite RC models is the EZ 40-45 sized P-51 that had a similar scheme, plus I've used the same/similar schemes on multiple other P-51 models I've owned/worked on over the years! But that said, I wasn't the one who chose it...two high-fives to the guys who did though

I haven't flown it on 4S or 5S, but it's got MORE than enough power on 6S so it would likely work on at least 5S and will probably fly on 4S too (maybe like my Dynaflite Mustang did with a K&B .40 in it ). But we specifically designed/developed the power system to use popular 6S 3200-7000+mAh batteries while delivering “fighter-like” speed/power/performance (see the Flight Talk video above).

And Carbon-Z has never been/referred to a particular size or class of model...it's a type of airframe design/construction that combines molded, hollow-core “Z” (EPO) foam with internal wood and carbon fiber structure/support. The first "Carbon-Z" models were smaller than the Mustang, and this Mustang, along with many of our other current/recent E-flite models, does indeed feature "Carbon-Z type" design/construction...we just don't brand/call it that anymore (we also don’t brand/call EPO foam “Z-foam” anymore).

Also, as noted in the Flight Talk video, we chose this size to provide what we believe is the best blend of detail, presence, ease of storage/transport and performance with popular 6S batteries. Yes, a larger Mustang could also fly with a 6S 3200-7000mAh battery....but for less time and/or with far less than "fighter-like" performance, and at a much higher price. That blend is why this isn't just another Mustang...it's the Mightiest, AND the Smartest, E-flite Mustang yet![/QUOTE]
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2020, 10:35 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorted
Hmmm wonder how FMS feel about this.
Considering FMS is manufacturing this one (Look at the pilot figure) I'd assume they feel pretty darn good about it..
Jan 09, 2020, 10:46 AM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer79
Love this size and options but i guess im the only one who doest like the scheme. Something about the blue on the wing and tail just bugs me. Id have to do a repaint to something else. This will be a big seller though and im glad to see it!
I'm with you.... the plane and features are really good, and I'm one of the rare people who doesn't own a decent sized P-51. Can't stand the garish paint scheme though. I'd definitely plan for a repaint if it makes the "purchase" list
Jan 09, 2020, 10:50 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorted
Hmmm wonder how FMS feel about this.
Since FMS probably manufactured it, as its there goofy looking pilot...I'd say there happy....at least they carried over the retracting tail wheel, but unfortunately it's a typical Eflite very un realistic small 4 blade prop...wish it was green instead of blue...but happy the FMS V9 finally arrived, sorry I meant to say the new Eflite....
Jan 09, 2020, 10:56 AM

actual flying weight 2.7 kg with or without battery?

Looks sweet, especially with all the scale features (Modern hinges (gapless), cockpit, scale flaps, etc.)... Just add your sound she will be sweet!

Jason: BTW, is the flying weight (stated 2.7 kg/6 lb) including 6s battery, or flying weight without battery? I suspect 2.7 kg is the empty weight, as my FMS 1.45 m Mustang with tail retract and main gear doors weighs around 3 kg with 4s 5000mah battery.
Last edited by edwen303; Jan 09, 2020 at 11:08 AM.
Jan 09, 2020, 10:58 AM
Pilot Ryan did several videos on this bird, here is one of them:
E-flite P-51D Mustang 1.5m with SMART Technology Flight Review (11 min 39 sec)
Jan 09, 2020, 11:04 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra
Since FMS probably manufactured it, as its there goofy looking pilot...I'd say there happy....at least they carried over the retracting tail wheel, but unfortunately it's a typical Eflite very un realistic small 4 blade prop...wish it was green instead of blue...but happy the FMS V9 finally arrived, sorry I meant to say the new Eflite....
I think this would be the first time in history a completely new foam mold was made to create an new "version" of something.

It has an 11 inch prop listed, which to me at 460kv still does not necessitate a 100A ESC. Could look at swapping the motor to the setup in the FMS P47 (same KV with14 inch prop) depending on what this OEM prop attachment looks like.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jan 09, 2020, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra
I notice several of the FMS features on this one as well. The battery tray, gear and doors, prop, pilot etc. I believe calling it an FMS V9 is a very accurate description lol. I do love the wings setup and the fact its 6s not 4s like the FMS is though. But I haven't seen anyone take the outer panels off yet. I wonder how difficult it will be?
Jan 09, 2020, 11:12 AM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
I think this would be the first time in history a completely new foam mold was made to create an new "version" of something.

It has an 11 inch prop listed, which to me at 460kv still does not necessitate a 100A ESC. Could look at swapping the motor to the setup in the FMS P47 (same KV with14 inch prop) depending on what this OEM prop attachment looks like.
Not true at all. Freewing F35 V3 is a brand new mold of everything. New FMS Beaver V2 has a new fuse mold. Freewing F16 V2 was a whole new mold. And those are just a few off the top of my head.

On this P51, fuse mold looks to be exactly the same. New wing molds to incorporate the 3 piece wing.
Jan 09, 2020, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy

I believe the prop listing was a mistake. Looks like those prop specs were copy/pasted from the old 1100mm P-51. It also (to me) looks bigger than the 14" Standard FMS prop that is on the P-47. This looks to be around 16" diameter to my eye.
Jan 09, 2020, 11:18 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106DeltaDart
I believe the prop listing was a mistake. Looks like those prop specs were copy/pasted from the old 1100mm P-51. It also (to me) looks bigger than the 14" Standard FMS prop that is on the P-47. This looks to be around 16" diameter to my eye.
That makes a lot more sense than 11 inch.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jan 09, 2020, 11:37 AM
DFS#000178
As someone who's never really been a huge P-51 fan (I'm a P-38 guy..) this one is definitely on my list but I don't think I can be an early adopter. I just paid for a 1/4 scale Ziroli Ercoupe and another Royal B-25. This is gonna' have to go in line behind those but I WILL be grabbing one of these. Maybe around tax time.
Jan 09, 2020, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Guys, this is an ALL-NEW, ground-up design/mold/model. It's not a new "version" of anything else. It may have elements/features of some other designs/models (like our 1.2m P-51), but none of the major airframe parts are interchangeable with any other models from any brand/manufacturer.
Jan 09, 2020, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpitts
I do love the wings setup and the fact its 6s not 4s like the FMS is though. But I haven't seen anyone take the outer panels off yet. I wonder how difficult it will be?
See the 1:15 mark in this video (installing/removing is the same and VERY fast/easy):

E-flite® P-51D Mustang 1.5m PNP & BNF® Basic Extra Scale Warbird (4 min 12 sec)

Quick Reply