Oct 29, 2020, 08:30 AM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Jax, how are you measuring speed on yours?
I still can't come up with an explanation as to why your plane is so much slower.
Did you ever figure out what the problem is/was?
We've messed around with the throttle settings and got it up to around 70mph. That seems to be the average speed of these things. It's putting out the proper power, plenty of torque, just not what I expected from the initial reports. Looking at a lot of the videos online, it's not really that fast. If you are getting 90mph out of this model, that is awesome and you must have got one on steroids, lol. It's still a fun, and challenging model, pretty to look at in the air. I'll just adjust my expectations. I'm picking up the V1200 today so that will offset my need for speed. lol.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2020, 09:05 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
JQ....After converting my FMS 1450mm P-51 to 6S using the FMS 550kv motor and stock 4 blade is was obviously much faster then stock....using inflight data from a castle ESC, the unloaded prop reached 11,000 rpms and my Voltron GPS gave constant level readings of mid 90's mph and dives just over 100 similar to CR5's readings with the EFlite P-51. Although I was getting responses that's not possible and the GPS was not correct....but it seemed correct on my EDJ jets with similar speed.

After flying my EFlite probably about 20 flights it just doesn't "seem" as fast as my FMS, maybe because the EFlite is slightly larger ??? hopefully I'll get to fly the EFlite this weekend with the GPS installed and see why mine ends up in the speed numbers.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:35 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
We've messed around with the throttle settings and got it up to around 70mph. That seems to be the average speed of these things. It's putting out the proper power, plenty of torque, just not what I expected from the initial reports. Looking at a lot of the videos online, it's not really that fast. If you are getting 90mph out of this model, that is awesome and you must have got one on steroids, lol. It's still a fun, and challenging model, pretty to look at in the air. I'll just adjust my expectations. I'm picking up the V1200 today so that will offset my need for speed. lol.
I find that in the air it doesn't look that fast and feels kinda like driving a car in 4th gear instead of upshifting to 5th. Also sounds like it's reaching top RPM too easily and could pull more prop. If I recall correctly mine is pulling just under 80A static, I really need to remember to look at the telemetry data next time I fly it, would be sweet if it had a little headroom for some prop experiments without upgrading anything else (at least to start).

Next time I fly it I'll do my best to keep it at lower throttle other than the level flight speed run and I'll land as soon as I do a couple passes to check the GPS for a more accurate level flight reading.
Last edited by CR5; Oct 31, 2020 at 08:26 AM.
Oct 31, 2020, 11:33 AM

Hangar Queen no more!

After being the reigning hangar queen for the last 8 months, (I took delivery 3/5/20), this girl got her maiden flight yesterday. All I can say is why did I wait so long. I have to admit some of the posts on this plane made me more than a little apprehensive about torque steer, etc. But, it was a purty day and up she went on a 2-blade and 4000Mah battery without issue. This is my first ever flight on a warbird save for an EZ AM6 Aero almost 30 years ago. First take-off was not quite what I expected but I got it airborne without issue. Flight was nice and smooth and predictable but something of a departure from the 3-D planes Iíve been flying. Although far from picture perfect the first landing also went well and without any damage.
Loved the low & slow passes along with full throttle shallow dive passes. Great presence in the air and feels like itís on a rail. Looking forward to getting to know this plane, itís a keeper.
Oct 31, 2020, 11:53 AM
RC Addict
Finally got some soft Robert tires. Makes a big difference on landings.
E-flute P-51 Mustang 1.5m Aerobatics and Soft New Tires (4 min 50 sec)
Oct 31, 2020, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP
After being the reigning hangar queen for the last 8 months, (I took delivery 3/5/20), this girl got her maiden flight yesterday. All I can say is why did I wait so long. I have to admit some of the posts on this plane made me more than a little apprehensive about torque steer, etc. But, it was a purty day and up she went on a 2-blade and 4000Mah battery without issue. This is my first ever flight on a warbird save for an EZ AM6 Aero almost 30 years ago. First take-off was not quite what I expected but I got it airborne without issue. Flight was nice and smooth and predictable but something of a departure from the 3-D planes Iíve been flying. Although far from picture perfect the first landing also went well and without any damage.
Loved the low & slow passes along with full throttle shallow dive passes. Great presence in the air and feels like itís on a rail. Looking forward to getting to know this plane, itís a keeper.
For your 2 blade, did you just not install two of the stock blades? if not which prop did you use?
Oct 31, 2020, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief
For your 2 blade, did you just not install two of the stock blades? if not which prop did you use?
Graupner 14x11 and Tru-Turn spinner
Oct 31, 2020, 05:08 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Mine has broken 100mph in a dive and is over 90mph on a mostly level flight. Would be fun to see how far they can be pushed.
I feel like it's not going that fast and that it seems like it should have more prop or a slightly higher Kv motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
I tested mine today with the Voltron GPS, best level flight was 90 and flight with dives was 97...used my 3 year old Admiral 6S 4000's....next time out I'll try the new Admiral 5000's and see If it picks up any.
Oct 31, 2020, 11:24 PM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Graupner 14x11 and Tru-Turn spinner
Any chance you got any Watt meter or telemetry readings on it with that prop.
I would expect it to be able to run more prop than that with a 2 blade but I wouldn't do much playing without some data.
I'm thinking a 16x12, maybe a 16x14 two blade sounds ballpark but I'd definitely be getting some readings on it before flying it.

I charged up my batteries this morning but the wind wasn't cooperating so it didn't get in the air, hopefully tomorrow for some new GPS numbers.
Nov 01, 2020, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Any chance you got any Watt meter or telemetry readings on it with that prop.
I would expect it to be able to run more prop than that with a 2 blade but I wouldn't do much playing without some data.
I'm thinking a 16x12, maybe a 16x14 two blade sounds ballpark but I'd definitely be getting some readings on it before flying it.

I charged up my batteries this morning but the wind wasn't cooperating so it didn't get in the air, hopefully tomorrow for some new GPS numbers.
I have a watt meter and I did comparative static tests when the two-blade was installed. It was a while back and I didn't record the results, but I remember the numbers being pretty close. I'll try to run it again this weekend and post the results.
The plane flew fine, plenty of power and I don't think the two-blade detracts from the "look" at all. I have some bigger two-blades and I'll try them as well.
Nov 01, 2020, 08:19 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
I have a watt meter and I did comparative static tests when the two-blade was installed. It was a while back and I didn't record the results, but I remember the numbers being pretty close. I'll try to run it again this weekend and post the results.
The plane flew fine, plenty of power and I don't think the two-blade detracts from the "look" at all. I have some bigger two-blades and I'll try them as well.
Definitely doesn't detract from the look when it's flying.
Was that you that posted about the 2 blade props a few months ago? I'd like a 2 blade that pushes the system to around 90-100A static then use the telemetry to see what it does in the air.
As I've found on my 1.2m P-51, a two blade prop sucks less amps from the system which lets you use a bigger prop. The 10.5x8 stock 4 blade pulls 100 Watts more than an APC 12x10e 2 blade. If the same transfers over to this platform it should let us pull something close to a 16x12, maybe a little more
Nov 01, 2020, 07:42 PM
Mineral, VA
..."eating popcorn on this topic" emoji. I'd like to see what you all get from a two blade setup. I reached out to Motrolfly for advice on a different motor. They do custom winds. Too bad the 100 amp Avian is not 8S compatible...only the 80amp is.
Nov 01, 2020, 07:50 PM
Mineral, VA
Nice video and flying Jax...which Robarts did you choose to install?
Nov 01, 2020, 07:57 PM

Two Blades

I'm not experimenting with two blade props to try to attain more performance. I'm looking for more 'flyability', meaning better ground handling plus acceptable performance in the air. I like the way it handles and the presence. My w.o.t. low passes were pretty cool, i.m.h.o., and give you a chance to appreciate this plane for what it is. Personally, I could care less if it will bust 100, I have plenty of other planes that will do that so it's not a deal breaker if the Lou IV doesn't. In this configuration it also does decent aerobatics. It's not a 3-D or pattern ship, it's a WWII fighter. That said, the torque steer is still there although not as bad as what I had expected after reading some of the posts here. My take off's and roll out's were not my best but I'll take it. I'll get to the o.e.m. prop at some point, but there's no hurry.
Nov 01, 2020, 08:00 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
Quote:
Good to hear, those reports were scaring me. I really want one as a first warbird Christmas present to myself.

Quick Reply