Thread Tools
Jan 17, 2020, 04:38 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm's Avatar
I have used a lot of ESCs in my epowered hobby years ( the last 7 ) . My most expensive ESC was the Castle HV ESC for 12s . A buddy who built the ESM Corsair, was reviewed in scale mags ect, his plane caught fire due to the ESC. Hew as lucky to save it ! I had to send my ESC back to Castle for re-work , now I am afraid to use it !
The challenge is that many of the China suppliers have copied or developed their own intellectual properties in this area.
I have been able to fly the last 4 years with anything from 90 size esc to HV 150 ESC and my cost varies around $65 to $100 . When you can fly reliably 12 cells for a $100 esc , it makes the hobby enjoyable and affordable .
Its very difficult to support a USA supplier when an ESC cost $175 to $225 for the same power options at 1/2 the cost.
I know you get what you pay for , that is an old school statement. I have been in the consumer products industry for 33 years . When you pay for anything, the closer you get to vertical integration the better the cost without ( in most cases ) cutting quality.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 10:27 AM
Registered User
I've used CC for years. Great product, great service. I've never had them not stand behind their product. If you shop a little, there are several vendors that stock them, at least in the sizes I need.
Jan 17, 2020, 12:25 PM
Registered User
Zeeb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
No sympathy for CC. Over the years there have been supply problems; I still recall the denial of their ESC software burning up motors. Flash the FW and the next think you knew your very expensive Heli was in flames. Then we were told it was a problem with our motors. Hmmm.....

I would think the lower end ESC will become Asian manufacturer and the higher end stuff will be made in Kansas. Just speculation on my part.

What surprises me at the moment is how little there is being said about the sale of CC. Not sure if it is because many of us have moved away from CC products or if traffic here has dropped that much.
There are a number of spendy Pattern planes at my club, very few of the other electric flyers use them because they cost too much. Us Pattern guys quit using CC after we renamed them as "Castle Cremations".....
Jan 17, 2020, 03:40 PM
sneu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
There are a number of spendy Pattern planes at my club, very few of the other electric flyers use them because they cost too much. Us Pattern guys quit using CC after we renamed them as "Castle Cremations".....
The flaming controller issue was quite a few years ago with the ICE controllers and was related to a problem with the FET driver chip they were using. They changed to another device and the problem was resolved. When the Edge controllers can along soon after that they included a number of new features that have been very effective in keeping the smoke in The current limiting now works much faster and is able to shut the controller down in the event of a shorted motor winding or locked rotor before any damage occurs. I have used CC controllers in some very demanding applications and have seen the evolution of the product. The Edge controllers are among some of the best available in the hobby market. CC Edge HV controllers work just fine in F3A planes---I have a Passport that has been flying for 10 years without having a controller issue.

The APD controllers are the new kids on the block and I have had very good results with their larger controllers running at high power levels. Some of the features they have raise over current protection to the next level. Most controllers that have current limiting only monitor the batter current---the APD controllers in addition also monitor the phase current to the motor---which can keep you out of trouble when there is a motor fault.

Steve Neu
Jan 17, 2020, 06:24 PM
Registered User
Lufo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
There are a number of spendy Pattern planes at my club, very few of the other electric flyers use them because they cost too much. Us Pattern guys quit using CC after we renamed them as "Castle Cremations".....

LOL .. I had forgotten about that nickname.
Jan 17, 2020, 06:31 PM
Registered User
Lufo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu

The APD controllers are the new kids on the block and I have had very good results with their larger controllers running at high power levels. Some of the features they have raise over current protection to the next level. Most controllers that have current limiting only monitor the batter current---the APD controllers in addition also monitor the phase current to the motor---which can keep you out of trouble when there is a motor fault.

Steve Neu
I looked at the APD on your site and I have confusion. Can these be used in a standard glider setup, like a MPX Heron? All I see is the mention of using with a flight controller. Also, if used in a Heron, do I need to solder on the cap?
Jan 17, 2020, 07:01 PM
sneu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
I looked at the APD on your site and I have confusion. Can these be used in a standard glider setup, like a MPX Heron? All I see is the mention of using with a flight controller. Also, if used in a Heron, do I need to solder on the cap?
The controllers can be used with multicopter controllers as well as with "RC" type control pulses. The 200F3 supports the RC pulse as supplied where the others need to have a different firmware load put in. The caps are advised when you have longer battery cables or are operating at high currents. I would put them on a a general rule to avoid problems.
Jan 18, 2020, 07:37 AM
Registered User
I don't know how people are destroying their Castle ESCs.I've been using them since 1998 and never had one fry.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:29 AM
Registered User
Lufo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu
The controllers can be used with multicopter controllers as well as with "RC" type control pulses. The 200F3 supports the RC pulse as supplied where the others need to have a different firmware load put in. The caps are advised when you have longer battery cables or are operating at high currents. I would put them on a a general rule to avoid problems.
Thanks Steve. The 40 amp is the one I was interested in but not sure what it takes to reprogram to normal RC control pulse; not seeing a place for a connection for that. If I get into MR someday these will be strongly looked at.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:33 AM
Registered User
Lufo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I don't know how people are destroying their Castle ESCs.I've been using them since 1998 and never had one fry.
It has been explained above by SNEU what happened. I assure you that if you lost a $700 heli due to an EDGE or any CC ESC you would fully
understand the angst. What made it worse were we were told it was the cause of our motor. Pre FW upgrade no problem ... Post FW ugrade then it was "flame on".

I had two T-birds they refused to replace due to their FW not checking previous FW or HW versions. A known issue to CC and over the phone, owed up to it to me.

I wish them well and hope all the employees keep their jobs. However, I will call 'foul' on what happend to me and to others. No need to defend CC, they made their own bed over that fiasco and not taking immediate ownership caused a lot of angst with many of the previously long time loyal customers.
Last edited by Lufo; Jan 18, 2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: missing word
Jan 18, 2020, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
I have used a lot of ESCs in my epowered hobby years ( the last 7 ) . My most expensive ESC was the Castle HV ESC for 12s . A buddy who built the ESM Corsair, was reviewed in scale mags ect, his plane caught fire due to the ESC. Hew as lucky to save it ! I had to send my ESC back to Castle for re-work , now I am afraid to use it !
The challenge is that many of the China suppliers have copied or developed their own intellectual properties in this area.
I have been able to fly the last 4 years with anything from 90 size esc to HV 150 ESC and my cost varies around $65 to $100 . When you can fly reliably 12 cells for a $100 esc , it makes the hobby enjoyable and affordable .
Its very difficult to support a USA supplier when an ESC cost $175 to $225 for the same power options at 1/2 the cost.
I know you get what you pay for , that is an old school statement. I have been in the consumer products industry for 33 years . When you pay for anything, the closer you get to vertical integration the better the cost without ( in most cases ) cutting quality.
I can definitely understand where you’re coming from, but in my experience, castle was inexpensive compared to some of the other options out there. I like the jeti mezon controllers for all of the telemetry I get, but they are pricey. I got some mgm esc for my high speed car, and even at 3 times the price of a castle, it bricked itself right out of the box and had to go back. I then tried a hobbywing (new spektrum Firma line) because people rave about them, and within 45 seconds the esc was smoked. I threw an old castle xlx in it, rated at 200 amps, and it has lasted months now. Sometimes hitting peaks up 4-450 amps for a second or two. Kontronik is the only other esc I’ve seen handle those kind of numbers, but at twice the cost. That being said, I never did like them in my helicopters and typically only run kontronik in them. As far as hotliners and my pylon planes, I typically only use castle or jeti, and have put them through some extreme abuse. The one time I used a non name brand esc in a plane, and after it would get hot, the BEC (which wasn’t anywhere near what the ESC specs called out amperage wise) would glitch out almost causing 2 crashes. I put a castle in it and still fly it to this day. I know 6-8 years ago some people had issues with castle ESC’s burning up, but I’m sure they sell a ton of units, and the odds of having failures with so many units sold means you hear about it more often. You probably don’t hear about MGM or kontronik failing as much because they probably sell 1/10 the ESC’s that castle does.

I’m not a crazy castle fan, but for the money, and the reliability, it really is hard to find a comparable unit (at least for my applications).
Last edited by Procrastinator1; Jan 19, 2020 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Jan 18, 2020, 04:30 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm's Avatar
I appreciate and respect your answer. I will post some pics of the ESCs that I have used as well as my Castle . Most of the Castle ESCs I have used that have been flawless have been the Castle 90ties Ice brand , no issues ever .
On the HV side I am using the Turnegy Brand 120 HV and I will also post a new brand I picked up that has worked very well.
Castle has never done me wrong but just like every hobbyest I try to get more for my hobby dollar ,,,,,,,,,with safety in mind !


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Maybe the smallest VTX set with good price, thats why always running out of stock:) FPVSTYLE FPV Talk 4 Sep 26, 2014 05:46 AM
Discussion This may explain why the right seems so tone-deaf in their remarks dll932 Life, The Universe, and Politics 61 Oct 18, 2013 04:32 PM
Alert Maybe this is why so many Turnigy batteries fail... rampman Batteries and Chargers 37 Mar 11, 2011 05:28 PM