Insta360 ONE R Aerial Edition for DJI Mavic

At CES 2020, Insta360 announced a new modular camera that should compete well with GoPro's Max 360. They even have an aerial edition designed to mount to DJI's Mavic drones that makes the drone invisible with a perfect unobstructed 360 degree view.

Splash

New Camera / New View

At CES 2020, Insta360 announced a new modular camera that should compete well with GoPro's Max 360. They even have an aerial edition designed to mount to DJI's Mavic drones that makes the drone invisible with a perfect unobstructed 360 degree view. Being a modular system, there are multiple ways to purchase and use the camera and it has the ability to purchase add-ons later. Base pricing starts out at $299 for a 4K non-360 version. The Aerial version for the Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 runs $549. Check out the video below to see how cool 360 video can be on your Mavic.

The one big hangup about the aerial version is they say the camera will interfere with DJI's GPS reception. That means the drone will likely drop into Atti mode with no position holding ability. That's ok for competent pilots, but the majority of Mavic pilots out there, likely have never flown without GPS help. That can be a big problem if they are not ready to manually fly the drone at all times instead of being able to let go of the controls and have the drone hover in place on its own. Still, it makes for some impressive looking video footage so we'll see what the market thinks when they get their hands on one next month.

Check out the Insta360 ONE Cameras Here

Jan 08, 2020, 12:41 PM
Great, now even people with no flying skills at all can start to make "freestyle" videos diving buildings etc. - easy power loops.. all from the comfortable chair behind a computer.

Nice tech, that's for sure !
Jan 08, 2020, 01:54 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
As an FYI, don't buy the Twin edition if you expect you'll want to get the Mavic mounts later, only the Aerial Editions come with the split lens 360 mod... (took me a bit of research, but finally found it on Insta360's compare page).

That isn't to say you can't upgrade the base camera kits, but you would likely have to buy the split lens 360 mod (and end up with the dual lens, and split, where it seems the split lens can also serve the same function as the dual lens, there are youtube vids that show the split can be combined to still function as the dual lens module (and the Aerial Editions come with the camera shell and normal red battery).

Screenshot of the compare page attached.

Edit: here is the Aerial add-on link: https://store.insta360.com/product/aerial_add_on

-Kai
Last edited by Kai_Shiden; Jan 08, 2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added the separate link to the Aerial Add-on
Jan 08, 2020, 03:41 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Good to know!
Jan 08, 2020, 08:23 PM
interesting i want one
Jan 09, 2020, 05:05 AM
Freelance Cinematographer
Interesting. Loss of GPS seems like a big deal though, for a mavic.
Jan 09, 2020, 01:26 PM

Mavic Pro vs. Mavic Pro Zooom

" Note: Not compatible with Mavic 2's GPS (Mavic 2 Pro & Mavic 2 Zoom). Using the Insta360 ONE R Aerial Edition with the Mavic 2 will affect the drone's GPS signal." This warning does not appear on the Mavic Pro purchase option. Does that mean the ONE R does not interfere with the Mavic Pro's GPS but does when using the Mavic 2?
Jan 09, 2020, 01:48 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenvideo
" Note: Not compatible with Mavic 2's GPS (Mavic 2 Pro & Mavic 2 Zoom). Using the Insta360 ONE R Aerial Edition with the Mavic 2 will affect the drone's GPS signal." This warning does not appear on the Mavic Pro purchase option. Does that mean the ONE R does not interfere with the Mavic Pro's GPS but does when using the Mavic 2?
Probably would be a good question to raise with the company that makes it.

Purchasing & Order Support [email protected]

Technical Support [email protected]
Jan 09, 2020, 02:30 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I do believe the Mavic Pro GPS unit is in a different spot from the Mavic 2's so maybe.
Jan 09, 2020, 03:38 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
I do believe the Mavic Pro GPS unit is in a different spot from the Mavic 2's so maybe.
You're correct Jason,

The Mavic Pro GPS antenna/unit is in the tail of the aircraft: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/DJI+Mav...acement/114388

Where the Mavic 2 series it's on top (between the front arms), see attached picture.

Edit: unrelated to GPS, a new info snippet showed up on Insta360's site about the differences between the dual lens and split 360 mods:

"The Split-Lens 360 Mod can also be combined and used as a 360 camera with the Core and the standard Battery Base. The Split-Lens 360 Mod has all the same features as the Dual-Lens 360 Mod except that it is not waterproof and does not support Bullet Time."

-Kai
Last edited by Kai_Shiden; Jan 09, 2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added a snippet from Insta360's site about the split lens 360 module
Jan 12, 2020, 11:31 AM

GPS interference and Mavic Pro

You're correct that the Mavic Pro edition of the aerial camera setup is not supposed to cause GPS issues with the drone. I have both the Pro and the 2 Pro, and bought the Pro version specifically because of this. Let's hope that it actually works as stated.

It's not supposed to ship for about 30 days, though the website order page says the ship date is, I believe, March 1st. Since I have a GoPro Hero7 Black and an Osmo Pocket, I'm not concerned with it being waterproof, and upgrading for any other features can give me what the aerial version doesn't if I feel I need them later. Overall, I like the idea and hope the hype is reality once the final-release firmware is done and the product ships!
Jan 12, 2020, 02:28 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
Hi Kaitura,

I also ordered the Mavic Pro Aerial Edition on Friday night (that was a pain, their new account registration on their store was broken all day), I don't remember where I saw it, but someone said that Insta360 are trying to address the GPS issue with the Mavic 2 (likely trying different positions for the camera modules to get them off of the GPS unit, if they slide the cameras back and the core/battery forward, they could get the GPS more sky visibility while maintaining balance).

When I ordered friday night, they were showing shipping in 20 business days before checkout (and only 2 left in stock, whatever that meant), after check out the receipt page showed the "Ships Out By" as Feb 15th, I really hope it comes sooner than that.

I don't actually have a Mavic Pro, I have a Mavic Mini and numerous DJI FPV quadcopters (iFlight Megabee & DC3, and a few 3" of my own design), I wanted the split 360 mod to be able to make various "invisible" drone mounts and to eventually experiment with 180VR. I will be cutting up the Mavic mount to get the cables and connectors from it (hopefully to figure out which connectors they use and see if I can source them from digikey).

I had been on the fence about buying the One X for the past year, I started to try to video my 3D heli flights by myself 10 years ago (tried numerous hatcams, and even made a tracking turret to attempt it), the Insta360 ability to reframe after shooting is just too much for me to finally resist now that it's modular. I have an Osmo Pocket and Osmo Action, they both do "ok" for hatcam vids, but I have found even the little bit of extra concentration to keep my head framing the video how I like, detracts from doing 3D flying as well.

I have no interest in the 4K camera mod since I already have 2 good 4K cameras, but I do plan on getting the Leica 1" sensor and the VR mod block when they come out.

-Kai

Edit: 360 rumors has a good page breaking down the features of the Insta360 One R: https://360rumors.com/insta360-one-r/
Last edited by Kai_Shiden; Jan 12, 2020 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added a link to a good breakdown page
Jan 12, 2020, 02:50 PM

Aerial Edition 1 and 2

Does anyone know if the Aerial Edition Pro will fit the Mavic 2 Pro drone?
Or do I need to purchase the Mavic 2 Edition and risk losing my GPS?
Jan 26, 2020, 04:03 PM
cannot wait to see where this goes when people figure out how to yank the modular components out and mount them to an FPV drone.

I have spent the past year playing with CheaterKwads trying to get some of the effects that this camera mount can pull off mounted to a Mavic. All of the magic happens in post and through the Insta360 editing app.

Granted I have been playing soley with fixed mount GoPros in everything I do but I have planned on adding a 360 cam to the builds at some point. Almost bought a 360 cam last BlackFriday but the 360s didn't have any deals going for them. Luckily I waited because it looks like this thing will be an option if I build a custom frame for it while focusing on getting the upper/lower mount on axis and at the right separation.

I have 3 or 4 versions of cheaters where transitions are based on different axis be it yaw, pitch, roll. The FPV cam builds wind up being somewhat tricky. This video shows the newest build at the beginning where I can adjust both the upright and inverted FPV cams from 0-60 degrees for upright and 0 to -60 degrees for inverted. The quad needs some tuning but you can see what I am going for and where a 360 cam would be helpful for vertical climbs while transitioning from a Mattyflip to an inverted climb away from the object. A 360 cam would have made this cake. Used a sacrificial Hero Session 5 for beginning of the clips so no stabilization and no ND filter used.

Rest of the clips are Hero 7 with some hyper smooth but the quads fly better and are more sorted both in upright and 3D flying. One build has an upright forwards and upright backwards FPV camera. The other build is 3D with an upright forwards, inverted forwards, and inverted backwards FPV cam. All of these could easily benefit from an ordinary 360 camera mounted while focusing within the forward based field of view and keeping the kwad in a blind spot through editing. But the Insta 360 R changes things up a bit and it is likely only an upright forwards and upright backwards cam could nail down 90% of the things I imagine. Only change being having a one axis servo mount for being able to do things like getting close to tall objects and scale them vertically where a low FPV cam tilt makes spotting your exit above you difficult.

I eagerly await for the 360 R and will be trying to get it adapted for freestyle. With luck I can get a voltage regulator in line that will let me power off of the main flight battery rather than carry all that extra crap seen in the video where they mount it to a Mavic.

Find the Limit of X (5 min 30 sec)
Jan 28, 2020, 01:41 AM
if someone can make or 3d print new brackets that do not interfere with the gps it would be awesome to get!

Quick Reply