Jan 08, 2020, 06:52 AM
Thread OP
Alert

January Club Meeting - New Day and Room

Greetings Club Members and Guests,
The new year has begun and we look forward to some great flying and the 2020 Soar Utah.

Our first meeting will be on Thursday, January 16th at 7:00pm at the South County Building Room S3-010. We will be making plans for Soar Utah need all the help we can get.

We will meet in a new room. The room we were meeting in is not available for Thursdays. The new room is S3-010, it is on the third floor of the South building, we have been meeting in the North building.

We also will meet on Thursdays this year instead of Tuesdays. I hope these changes fit into your schedules and look forward to seeing you next week.

Dave
Rookie Club President for 2020
Last edited by daverdwr; Jan 09, 2020 at 07:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2020, 10:02 AM
I plan on being there
Jan 08, 2020, 11:39 AM
I Fly in Colorado too!
Dave, congrats on the the new presidency. You will do great. And a great big thank you to Loren for all the hard work and dedication to the club and cause.

I can and plan to attend January and February but after that Thursdays does not work for me. Looking forward to Soar Utah and offer my help. I will be sure to get the time off work for this event.

I assume the time is the same 7:00?

Archie
Last edited by madwinger; Jan 08, 2020 at 12:39 PM.
Jan 08, 2020, 09:02 PM
Congrats, Dave!
Want to continue going to flying events, but the third Thursday is already scheduled.

Scott
Jan 09, 2020, 05:49 PM
D. Johnson in Utah

Meeting Time?

What time of day are these meetings?
Jan 09, 2020, 07:04 PM
Thread OP

Meeting Time

Sorry, I left off the time of the meeting. It is 7:00 pm.
Dave
Jan 15, 2020, 12:33 PM

Meeting

Lee and Wid will be there.
Jan 16, 2020, 12:25 AM
Dale Crockett and Dave Parker will be there.
Jan 18, 2020, 10:12 AM
Thread OP

Meeting Minutes

Highlights from the meeting
* The new meeting room (S3-010) is similar to the previous room. We learned that we enter the North Building and sign in at the security station, take the elevator to the third floor and walk across the skybridge to the South Building.
* We each introduced ourselves and made sure our phone, email and AMA numbers are correct for the roster.
* We are not currently charging annual dues.
* Our main method of communication is via the Intermountain Silent Flyers Forum on RC Groups. As a reminder, from the RC Groups home page, select the “More” pull-down menu. Under Topics, select “Clubs”. The Sub-Forum : RC Clubs is sorted alphabetically. Scroll to the Intermountain Silent Flyers Forum. Select the “Forum Tools” pull down menu and subscribe. A pop-up box allows you to choose the notifications method you prefer.
* We will be researching what we need to do to update the out-of-date website information.
* Lee will be posting our 2020 calendar soon. He has done a great job planning events this year.
* We discussed Soar Utah 2020 (Sept 3 to 7) as follows:
* Dave will create a Forum / Announcement on RC Groups similar to the 2018 post done by Matt.
* We have started the permit process for POM.
* We elected to charge $40 this year to defer the costs of reserving the North Side.
* We have contacted the president of the Utah Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association (UHGPGA) and he was very supportive of our event and will direct flyers to an alternate location for that weekend.
* We plan to do a lanyard or clip badge holders this year.
* Wid identified some of the amenities he will be working on at the Grantsville site (food, water, shade, etc).
* Loren briefed us on the Proposed Remote ID Rule by the FAA and its possible effects on our hobby. It is not pretty.
* Show-N-Tell
* Lyle showed the Super Sinbad short kit he recently purchased on eBay. Sweet!!
* Dave showed his Horizon Hobby UMX Whipit DLG glider. Tiny.
* Lee showed photos of his new tow plane and threatened to have a secret maiden flight to save his nerves. 🙂
* Special thanks to the past club officers who have laid the foundation for all that we try to do to keep our piece of the hobby alive.
Dave
Jan 22, 2020, 03:15 PM
Member: GSPL
Quote:
Loren briefed us on the Proposed Remote ID Rule by the FAA and its possible effects on our hobby. It is not pretty.
Hi. I was going to try to be at the meeting but it didn't work our for me. I am getting back into flying my old slope planes and was wondering how these new FAA rules would affect flying at the POTM.

Is there a synopsis of how this would impact club members flying at the Point? Could the site possibly fall under these guidelines since the club is a CBO?
Quote:
A person operating a UAS without remote identification equipment would always be required to operate
within visual line of sight6 and within an FAA-recognized identification area. Under the
proposed rule, an FAA-recognized identification area is a defined geographic area where UAS
without remote identification can operate. An area would be eligible for establishment as an
FAA-recognized identification area if it is a flying site that has been established within the
programming of a community based organization recognized by the Administrator. The FAA
would maintain a list of FAA-recognized identification areas at https://www.faa.gov. FAA-
recognized identification areas are discussed further in section XV of this preamble.

<snip>

The FAA recognizes that UAS flying sites exist today without a significant impact on aviation safety. As proposed in § 89.205, only a community based organization (CBO) recognized by the Administrator would be eligible to apply for the establishment of a flying site as an FAA-recognized identification area to enable operations of UAS without remote identification within those areas. For clarification purposes, the concept of FAA-recognized identification areas proposed in this rule is different and independent from the fixed-site concept in 49 U.S.C. 44809(c)(1) and a fixed site would not automatically be approved as an FAA-recognized identification area.
Thanks for keeping the club alive.

Jeff
Jan 22, 2020, 04:50 PM
sloperut

The Point should be ok, but at this point nobody knows for sure what is going to happen. Everyone should make a comment here on the FAA site about how the proposal would basically destroy fixed wing line of site RC the way they have it written. https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...s#open-comment
Jan 22, 2020, 05:27 PM
Member: GSPL
I wrote them last week. Thanks.

Jeff
Jan 25, 2020, 09:49 AM
Soar Tow 2
Most laws are for the people that do stupid things with their RCs, just don't fly over 400 feet while in a park and don't give someone a reason to call the FAA or police.
It has to be proven that you were above 400 feet.

Quick Reply