Jan 08, 2020, 12:29 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Discussion

Freewing 80mm T-33 conversion to P-80 Shooting Star

Now that Freewing and Motion RC have introduced their excellent 80mm T-33, there is a great opportunity for modelers that desire a nice EDF P-80 Shooting Star model to realize their dream, with a little extra work.

A number of modelers have mentioned that they wish this T-33 had been a P-80 and a number of modelers have expressed interest in converting this T-33 to a P-80.

P-80 EDF models are scarce. About the only option is the RBC 70mm balsa P-80 kit.

It looks highly possible to remove two sections of the new T-33 fuselage and splice them back together to create a P-80 fuse, reversing the fuselage stretches that Lockheed added to the P-80 to create the T-33.

Sparky from Parkflyer Plastis is in for creating vac form tooling for the needed single place canopy and tip tanks. He may also create a new vac formed canopy hatch fairing to cover the shortened and spliced foam hatch.

He would like to hear that 8-10 people or so are seriously interested in buying the conversion parts. I am firmly in.

If you are interested, post in this thread to let us know.

I will make another post here to discuss the different P-80 tip tank options. Feel free to mention which tip tank style you are most interested in.

We can also discuss the options for creating the P-80 wingtips. I am leaning towards some carved and sanded light weight balsa wingtips. Vac form might be an option, but they might end up a little too delicate. Vac formed tip tanks might be a little delicate as well, but this can be improved with some light weigh fiberglass inside the tip tanks.

Please chime with your ideas and comments if you are seriously interested in this conversion.
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 08, 2020 at 01:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2020, 12:41 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Tip tanks.

I prefer the early nicely sculpted and streamlined 165 gallon tank. it is one of the smallest (less drag and possibly better ground clearance) and best looking, IMO.

Other options are the Fletcher, the Mishawa and a different Lockheed tank.

if you so desire, you can keep the stock T-33 tip tanks and skip making new wingtips, as later versions of the P-80 used these same tanks.
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 08, 2020 at 12:52 AM.
Jan 08, 2020, 01:32 AM
I like it! I'm in for a set of parts.
Jan 08, 2020, 06:26 PM
I like the stock T-33 tanks, the other P-80 tanks that seem to hang on the bottom tip of the wing I've never cared for so just the fuse and canopy mod for me.
Jan 08, 2020, 06:49 PM
EDF all the way!
I'm in also. I would use the existing stock tip tanks.
Bob
Jan 08, 2020, 10:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
I am going with the earlier smallest tanks, but will be able to remove them and fly bare wingtips if desired. I typically fly from excellent runways.

It is a good looking machine even with bare wingtips.
Jan 08, 2020, 10:26 PM
It's all about scale models!
I am also in for P-80 parts and prefer the original streamlined tanks, although clearly they used the clunkier ones a lot in Korea.

Obviously I don't have the actual canopy hatch in hand to see how it would work out, but it seems like it would be very beneficial to have a part that covers the hatch and the two seat opening in addition to the canopy. Having recently converted the Eflite AT-6 into a Tora Tora Tora Zero, I know that covering up that extra space took some doing.

I just saw pics of where on short missions, they actually left the tanks off and fitted a pair of 1000 lb. bombs in their place, so with the two conventionally racked, the total was 4000 lbs. Amazing it could even get off the ground loaded like that!

My T-33 was shipped and may be here as early as Saturday!
Jan 08, 2020, 10:38 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie
I am also in for P-80 parts and prefer the original streamlined tanks, although clearly they used the clunkier ones a lot in Korea.

Obviously I don't have the actual canopy hatch in hand to see how it would work out, but it seems like it would be very beneficial to have a part that covers the hatch and the two seat opening in addition to the canopy. Having recently converted the Eflite AT-6 into a Tora Tora Tora Zero, I know that covering up that extra space took some doing.

I just saw pics of where on short missions, they actually left the tanks off and fitted a pair of 1000 lb. bombs in their place, so with the two conventionally racked, the total was 4000 lbs. Amazing it could even get off the ground loaded like that!

My T-33 was shipped and may be here as early as Saturday!
Given that the hatch spans the fuselage section removal, I think that the hatch will actually look good after it is shortened to match, with a bit of spackle.

We are talking about doing the hatch cover as it might match up to the single place canopy better.
Jan 08, 2020, 10:39 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Currently leaning towards this nice bright color scheme with the 94th Aero Squadron markings.
Jan 12, 2020, 08:50 AM
It's all about scale models!
I put my T-33 together yesterday in hopes of a maiden this morning, but after a half-hour drive to our club field, decided the weather wasn't right for a maiden.

In the course of doing a couple of things during assembly yesterday, I discovered the silver paint on this model is of extremely low adhesion, even as foamie paint goes. Obviously one of the new water-based types, but no primer which would help (I use Kilz2 latex when repainting).

I bring this up, as this will be a factor in any attempts to modify this model's fuselage. This type of paint is strange in the edges (between remaining paint and bare foam) are -- fairly thick and not terribly "stable" (can "lift" a little). Hate to say it, but removing all the fuselage paint will probably be the way to go, when the time comes.

Also, now that I've seen the fuselage first-hand, my take is that removing the section ahead of the wing won't be super difficult, but removing the smaller part aft of the wing will present a few challenges due to ducting as well as bottom EDF access hatch. Not impossible, just challenging.
Jan 14, 2020, 08:47 AM
Big gov never Works
Hi Thomas, hope your having a good New Years! Being a builder, and not much of a foamy person, any foamy I do acquire I usually modify. One of the downsides to a foamy is the exhaust outlet. And sometimes the intake, esp if not bifurcated. Single intakes usually look like a big mouth bass. As jet modelers, we have gotten used to having enlarged ducting, and even more in the last 10yrs with the introduction of the high blade CS/FMS types that require 100% on the exhaust. The alternative for the foamy makers is to fudge it. Enlarge the frame size, enlarge the ducting area, and down size the fans, as they seem to have done recently with the 80mm size frames. If I could get the T-33 bare, just the frame, no fan, servos etc, I would get one. I tried with Motion to get the Skyhawk bare, but no go. One of the first things I would do, is bring the exhaust more to scale, and match the fan to the outlet. I believe this frame would do well with a high voltage 70mm class fan.

To give an indication of how large the exhaust is on the FW example, I enlarged the John Bell F-80C display stick jet, to fit the 56mm outlet for a 68Evo. The bell has scale intakes and exhaust. Sizing the frame to a 56mm outlet, the wing span came out just over 50" 52.5 IIRC. If sized to fit a CS type fan @ 61mm outlet, the frame is 64" WS! As seen in the pic, the Bell F-80C has a scale outlet at 56mm. Quite a difference from most on the market/plans, even the RBC is enlarged. Just wondered if you or anyone has thought of this aspect of the modification? I see we like the same scheme! I opted for the Fletcher tanks, because of it being a very large belly flopper. The Lockheed tear drop tanks hang to low. The Misawa's just plain ugly.

Fuzz
Jan 14, 2020, 02:28 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Im still in love with your p80 fuzz! Ive been thinking of getting another t33 airframe..converting to p80 and using a 70mm amd make the exhaust scale
Jan 14, 2020, 04:00 PM
Big gov never Works
Hi Brent, Happy New Years to you and your Dad. Would like to see that. After 8yrs, I am refinishing the Lander Cougar. Should have did that from the start, like yours. BTW, the SIG WW-II canopies make a great start, for the P/F-80. Pretty darn close. Buy over size and trim back.

Fuzz
Jan 14, 2020, 05:20 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
An easy foamie conversion is never as good as a dedicated building effort, but this gives folks that are willing to put in a little extra effort a nice P-80 conversion that is about as scale as the donor T-33.

The goal here is to make available a good P-80 canopy that will fit the resized hatch, plus possible a new vac formed hatch cover for the cut down hatch and set of P-80 style tip tanks.

The original P-80 tanks are really nice looking and beautifully sculpted. I think they are worth a little risk of scraping the runway. 90% of my flying is off a paved runway.

Might be fun to make the original P-80 tanks jettisonable.

I personally want to a avoid using the T-33 style Fletcher tanks, as that makes it hard to tell at a distance if the model is a P-80 or T-33.

Another interesting T-33 conversion involving a nose job and an aft fuse mod would be a F-94 Starfire.......

The F-94C would not be as easy, with a new swept horizontal tail and modified vertical tail. The is also thinner, but the stock T-33 wing would be good enough for a fun scale version.
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 14, 2020 at 05:34 PM.
Jan 14, 2020, 05:37 PM
Big gov never Works
The Starfire would be very interesting.

Quick Reply