Jan 07, 2020, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Are Wemotec Midi Fans still worth it?

With ChangeSun and Powerfun and everything else available these days, is the 90 mm Midifan with HET setup still worth the 250 bucks? I have seen 90mm setups with 7lbs of thrust for half the price.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2020, 08:56 PM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkola
With ChangeSun and Powerfun and everything else available these days, is the 90 mm Midifan with HET setup still worth the 250 bucks? I have seen 90mm setups with 7lbs of thrust for half the price.
Definitely, still probly the most reliable set up you can buy.
Jan 08, 2020, 12:02 PM
Pro Hoarder
Agree!! it is my fav still...
Joe I hope you are dodging those fires!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 08, 2020, 05:46 PM
Quote:

If you are on budget? Dont brother with ít.
plenty of good and cheap fans out there.
If not? Go for it and Enjoy.

Jan 09, 2020, 12:48 PM
Lithium Member
Quote:
Yes

Make sure you get the EVO rotor version with a quality inrunner motor (eg HET 650 series) and not some junk outrunner,

Measured +20% more current, +12% more thrust, better efficiency over the old 6-blade rotor, and better sound.

Last edited by Herb; Jan 09, 2020 at 01:17 PM.
Jan 09, 2020, 01:06 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
I guess we could say you're a "fan".
Jan 09, 2020, 05:33 PM
^ lol
Jan 10, 2020, 09:30 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Provided the fan holds together at the power you input they are all much the same regarding watts input compared to thrust output. Watt for watt the thrust is much the same for all of them.

The Midifan Evo, and the old low blade count one, will hold together as will the Schubeler HDS and the Jetfan. Some of the very cheap ones may not.

The most important thing for thrust is matching of the fan, motor Kv, and the number of cells. EG the Jetfan V2 puts a higher load on the motor than the Schubeler HDS. I have not measured the Midifan at high powers. If you've got several different ones you can use this to your advantage.

For example, If you try a Schubeler with say 8 cells and the watts and thus thrust are not as high as you want keep the motor and cell number the same and try a Jetfan V2, This sort of 'mix and match' can save you buying new stuff you don't have already.

I 'm trying this 1960's British free flight IC 049-090 design with EDF and rc. The original only weighed 14 ounces with a 060 diesel ready to go and flew well. I won't get even close to that weight but I am trying to get it as light as possible using the minimum number of cells with packs I have already and a fairly low power 'Mega' brushless motor that I also have, A 90mm fan rather than the more obvious Minifan as the larger fan is much more efficient and there's plenty of room. And it's close to the size of the original plywood and red fiber low revving fan. and I've go all three 90mm fans to experiment with to find the one with the least motor load or maybe the most load with 5 cells rather than 6.

Quick Reply