Jan 12, 2020, 08:19 AM

the beginning of the End, Yes

If Remote ID is adopted as drafted, then yes, I think it is the beginning of the end of Recreational RC aircraft. Reasoning: 1) People won't want to incur the privacy infringement and extra costs 2) Park Flying, basically flying anywhere except AMA club fields, will require remote ID and will die out because of #1; Hobbyists will be irritated that they can't use their existing hardware to fly even over their OWNED LAND at 1 ft altitude; 3) The lack of park flying will tend to crowd the AMA club flying and the crowds will further reduce number of Hobbyists; Clubs will adapt membership CAPS which will also eliminate ex-Park flyers 4) Over decades, the above forces and greatly reduced consumer demand will kill off the Hobby

We really need to Fight Remote ID with everything we have!

Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2020, 08:42 AM
It's like drilling holes in the bottom of a sinking boat to let the water out. lol
Jan 12, 2020, 12:10 PM
Team Futaba
And then keep in mind that a test in order to fly legally is coming very, very soon. Likely the first quarter of 2020. Can't wait to see the multiple threads on that.

I've stopped trying to track the RID threads. Just on RCG there are too many to keep up with. Other forums seemed to be able to keep it to a single thread, but not here.
Jan 12, 2020, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliers1
It's like drilling holes in the bottom of a sinking boat to let the water out. lol
I saw that watching the Three Stooges ....remind you of anyone in Washington?
Jan 12, 2020, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
And then keep in mind that a test in order to fly legally is coming very, very soon. Likely the first quarter of 2020. Can't wait to see the multiple threads on that.
Does it matter? If the hobby is going to become effectively illegal, having to take a test to still not be allowed to fly is barely even adding insult to injury. I suppose the good-boy AMA clubs which check your registration will also check your test certificate, but that's about the only relevance.
Jan 13, 2020, 07:57 PM
( never mind)
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 27, 2020 at 11:42 AM.
Jan 13, 2020, 08:10 PM
Old pirates tried to rob I
of the planes I love to fly
minutes after they passed that thing
that they call R I

But my transmitter, she was made strong
with amazing RSSI
she has great signal generation
my planes, they still reach the sky

So won't you help to sing
these songs of freedom?
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 14, 2020 at 09:32 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 09:22 AM
( never mind )
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 27, 2020 at 11:42 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
What in the heck, there was a commercial ad at the top of this page trying to sell unlimited time in the air for your commercial drone via fiber cable. Now there on our sight or somehow getting on my adds through cookies or what not.

Totally in your face bull crap!!!!
Jan 14, 2020, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Josh talks with the FAA, AMA, and DARTdrones at CES (1 hr 2 min 11 sec)
Jan 27, 2020, 10:44 AM
Radio-Actif

Over reaction ...

People are reading way too much into this.

The goal is to integrate all UAS safely into the airspace. No where do we read the goal is to end the RC aircraft hobby, just integrate everything safely into the coming use of UAS for delivery systems. Using small low cost short range ADS-B type of transmitters will give delivery drones and possibly low flying aircraft a track of where anything UAS are flying with the sole purpose of collision avoidance.

The goal is safety and they can do it at low cost. Seeing how cheap OSD and FPV transmitters have become RFID will be in the same price range, probably even cheaper.

The government over-reach and ID issues stink. The UAS delivery system idea is premature and being over-sold and will be more dangerous than the RC/drone industry itself.

In the meantime just keep flying RC. You adapt and go on.
Jan 27, 2020, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntripps
The goal is to integrate all UAS safely into the airspace.
Yes, but this is regulatory-speak for "place so many requirements on UAS that only a manufacturer with a dedicated compliance department can fulfill them. The time for amateurs to screw around in the sky is past."

Quote:
Using small low cost short range ADS-B type of transmitters will give delivery drones and possibly low flying aircraft a track of where anything UAS are flying with the sole purpose of collision avoidance.
And this explains the requirement to transmit over the Internet how? And the requirement for tamper-proofing and failure to operate should the Internet (limited RID) or USS (both) be unavailable? No, there's no reasonable way to read this just being for safety. Why do they want contact with the USS? Well, one obvious idea is that it's not just remote ID they want; it's remote control. The government will be able to arbitrarily deny any and all flights at a whim.
Jan 28, 2020, 11:53 AM
AMA seems to be working on signing up 800k multi-rotor members. Question is, if that happens, how many may wish to become or are already fixed wing pilots? If they don't belong to a club and that will be a prerequisite to join AMA, how will the current club members feel about so many new members who will inundate clubs? I'm sure each club's flight instructors might have a problem with that many more people he would have to train. Back to square one.
Jan 28, 2020, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliers1
I'm sure each club's flight instructors might have a problem with that many more people he would have to train. Back to square one.
I'll volunteer to help. I have special methods!
Jan 28, 2020, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
I'll volunteer to help. I have special methods!
Interesting, so do I.

Quick Reply