Jan 08, 2020, 03:48 PM
Retired CAD guy
I can say that this CNC cutter has seen a dramatic drop off on business
since entering the scene 15 yrs ago in 2005.
Gosh !!! My CNC machine is now ! 25 yrs old -holy crap ! whodathunk ! ? !

Especially since around the time that Depron withdrew from the Market.
While Model Plane foam is a great substitute for Depron and it's USA made
I was shocked at how dramatic the drop off was.
I have only "hung on" this long because I am not trying to make a living from my endeavor.
It's just a retirement Thang.

Hey ! even I have fallen prey to the EPO foamy designs on occasion.
I got the whole set of Zeta wings last Fall. 840 mm, 61" and the huge 2M Buffalo !
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2020, 04:09 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Out of curiosity just before posting this I checked to see how many people were viewing the "Scratchbuilt Foamies" forum under the 'Aircraft-Electric-Airplanes' topics. Much to my surprise this forum had the most viewers other than the "Electric Plane Talk" forum which is a catch all forum that, by the way, contains a lot of threads about EPO bind and fly foamies. So apparently there is a good amount of interest in scratchbuilding foamies but possibly not a lot of interest in posting in threads about scratchbuilding foamies. Maybe there's hope yet.
Unfortunately, around 10 years ago, the scratchbuilt forum was consistently the most viewers online of all forums on the entire site! Now that honor typically goes to the multi copter forums. Still good interest, but definitely down from our highest. I had hoped that the droners would eventually get bored with "goes up, goes down " and start looking for more challenging stuff, but the tech companies and racers keep introducing new stuff to keep them entertained. Guess we will just be a niche in the hobby.
Jan 08, 2020, 09:55 PM
Build more, websurf less
We are a creative, innovative and resourceful niche. You can never kill that.
Jan 08, 2020, 10:18 PM
treefinder
Tru dat!
Jan 09, 2020, 07:31 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Things change on Trend , and then go back … (pendulum effect) I moderate a niche group that does bespoke Tube guitar amps design and building … a group of 20K members with about two dozen regularly participating … sound familiar ?
There will always be the “ Regulars” around … and wait till the younger generations discover “ Hobbies” … Always, some will inevitably gravitate towards making “ Flying things “ … just like we did …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 09, 2020, 12:03 PM
Held by Grace

Faa

FYI -
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...l-in-USA/page7
Jan 09, 2020, 04:51 PM
flyin' fool
The update by Bruce ………………

An update on the fight to defeat the FAA's electronic ID NPRM (21 min 56 sec)
Jan 09, 2020, 04:52 PM
Space Coast USA
Another way to end our hobby......
Local school board here fenced and locked all school yards and city goverment prohibits RC flying in all parks. End of fun.
Jan 09, 2020, 05:29 PM
flyin' fool
The same problem here. Recently, to solve it we organized, got insurance and have two approved sites within the city limits sanctioned by our national governing body MAAC.

For the big stuff, little too, we have five sites within a half hour drive out in the 'country', one a MAAC site, the other's are 'everyone welcome' that have been active for decades, plus two indoor venues. For sloping we have lots of great sites, some local and some are day trips.

And the best part is we fly all year round, thanks to the pineapple express. We're blessed, but it's still a dying hobby.
Jan 10, 2020, 04:01 PM
It looks like it may be the end of scratch building AUW>250g in the USA. But building sub-250g may become easier than ever.
So fixed wing flying will take a hit, but perhaps after that there will eventually be a rebirth when sub-250 really gets going, and drones aren't a big deal anymore. As long as there's an opening then the boundaries can be nudged. Perhaps there will be a market for totaled remote-id equipped quads, put the remotes-id part on a scratch built plane, voila its just a repaired dji phantom.

If the hobby really does get killed off I kind of hope the whole aviation and airline industry suffers, with no pilots to be found, no engineers with the skills and I hope they figure out why. lol.

For now I'm just glad I can use the MAAC exemption. But I did join FPVFC to give a little support.
Jan 10, 2020, 04:23 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
IMO the changes will mostly negatively impact people who fly as part of formal organizations and choose to follow the rules.

Do most people follow rules? Check the speeds on your nearest freeway.

But city dwellers will probably be hit harder than country folk because their legal places to fly will dry up and they have few local options. I live in a small desert town and am not a joiner. Thus don't expect to be impacted much at all.
Jan 10, 2020, 04:45 PM
treefinder
Hard line, I am with you, since I fly at a secret location somewhere in the midwest, I will probably be able to stay out of the FAA eye for a good while, assuming they are even successful in their worst nightmare scenario.

On a more serious note, it will behoove us all to wait a bit to see things progress, then jump in and send our carefully worded comments to the proposed rule before the 60 days are up, to get ourselves represented
Jan 10, 2020, 04:54 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Seems wise, but I'm not optimistic about being on the drone-side of the debate. Or any form of dealing with bureaucrats. Or politicians.

And while I can't see anyone stopping me from flying as I please, I am curious if it means I won't be able to buy a non-compliant airplane from say Horizon. Will we be sneaking airplanes in from ebay/china in boxes marked household goods? Frankly, I doubt it will come to that anytime soon.
Jan 10, 2020, 06:36 PM
treefinder
Nah, y'all will just have to build your own scratchbuilts! They'll fly better anyway!
Jan 10, 2020, 06:52 PM
Retired CAD guy
Who is going to police any of those proposals ?

Especially out here in the "secret location" country side ;>}

And once again WHY ? when there are REAL threats to investigate.
Last edited by birdofplay; Jan 10, 2020 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply