Jan 06, 2020, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

I this the end of our hobby?

I found this on the internet..

FAA Proposed Remote ID for Drones Eliminates Hobbyists (17 min 50 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 09:53 PM
treefinder
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...emote-ID-Rules

Lots more info here on what's happening. Be aware it is a rule making action, not a rule in place. The AMA is working to mitigate for it. More info on the AMA site.
Jan 06, 2020, 10:09 PM
This Won't go away .. It may be reduced from what is proposed, Or it may not.
Only time will tell. Reality is drones and to a far lesser extent RC models..aren't popular with the vast majority.. ie: those who don't use them
Jan 06, 2020, 10:36 PM
Retired CAD guy
But "WE" are not hurting them so they ought to just leave us alone.

But Noooo
Jan 06, 2020, 10:55 PM

Just another way to remove our ability to develop eye-hand skills.

What has angered me is when they did away with teaching script or cursive writing in school.
Today, young people have lost the ability to even write their own name. They grip a pen like it’s a screw driver.
So, they no longer have the eye-hand coordination to control their muscles properly.
Phones and Computers reduce the need to learn how to Spell. They can’t add, subtract or multiply in their heads.

RC people are very creative with great eye-hand coordination. The skill to build and to fly an aircraft requires using your mind, eyes and hands. Everyone who wants to participate in this great hobby should be able to do so. Taking away this right is a crime! We are turning into a nation of helpless creatures who will also lose the ability to drive a car by letting the car drive us. This is pure madness, in my view.

~Dick Kline
Jan 07, 2020, 12:10 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Follow the money and say thanks to Amazon and Uber. Also to a lesser extent FedEx, UPS and several electronics companies that stand to profit greatly from this takeover of the airspace from 0 to 400 feet. They could get 99% of this and leave us completely alone, but in today's environment that's not enough for the monied interests.

J.P.
Jan 07, 2020, 05:08 AM
flyin' fool
You can blame the rouge drone pilots too. I think the recent hit on a news helicopter hasn't helped matters either.

I've talked to a few about it and as far as they're concerned it's all fake news and there's another side to the story 'they're' not telling.

It's 'the dog ate my homework' all over again!!!!!
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 07, 2020 at 05:25 AM.
Jan 07, 2020, 05:24 AM
flyin' fool
I've observed that locally interest in the hobby has waned in recent years. Lots of modelers now gone or given up the hobby due to old age issues. Nobody builds anymore, not even foamies, it's all expensive big RTF EPO molded models for the new guys. There's only a few of us left in my patch that still share an interest in small scratch built foamies.
Jan 07, 2020, 07:14 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Things are changing , and not always the way we like . We “old guys" will indulge in our hobby till we pass , the new guys must make their own way … Scratchbuilt Foamies never got any support because it wasn’t “Profitable” to the people “invested” in Hobby sales … Yet it was the most Inventive Part of the hobby , exploring materials and crafts not possible before .
The difference …. Drones are made for a Purpose !!! ( Work) Model planes are made purely for the “Joy of Flying” … The AMA has Failed to establish the difference with the current Ruling party .. Maybe we need to start a lobbying group who will protect OUR modeling interests instead of protecting THEIR “modeling industry investments” …

RE:$$$ Those expensive store bought Foamies are popular now , because that’s what’s SOLD to them … The Hobby industry makes very little PROFIT off Modelers who fabricate their own models , ask ANY Hobby shop dealer , if you can find one anymore … No hobby shops in our area ever carried Foam sheets or much to do with Foamies at all … And we’ve seen so MANY new guys come out with their pricy RTF models ,with no instruction, crash till it’s dust , and walk away from the hobby forever.
I squarely blame the Industry and the AMA and other such groups who would see only Profit from modeling without providing the educational basics so the Hobby can grow and flourish … Where’s things like the Delta Dart program for the kiddies … ??? Nothing around here other than snobby Flying clubs ( non Foamies) , and dealers with Nothing left on their HORIZON …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 07, 2020, 09:04 AM
Quote:
I've talked to a few about it and as far as they're concerned it's all fake news and there's another side to the story 'they're' not telling.
Thirty years ago, I was on active duty, working in a USAF Wing headquarters. When some of my co-workers saw our R/C models, several expressed the opinion that such models should be illegal. They felt that it would be easy to put a bomb on one and use it to attack buildings, etc.

That was before FPV, before tiny GPS-capable autopilots, before Maynard Hill's trans-Atlantic flight. All those things brought R/C models more and more to the attention of folks like the DOD and DHS as potential terrorist tools.

I don't like it, but I can't disagree with it, especially with the current world and national political climate. I've been flying R/C, constantly, since 1971, so I have a lot of emotional attachment to the hobby, but I fear it's going to be severely restricted. My only hope is that the sub-250 gram category is still viable, so I can still design and build at least at that scale.

CD
Jan 07, 2020, 09:53 AM
Retired CAD guy
I cannot believe that WE , RC model fliers, would be an impediment or detriment to the
Corporate Package Delivery, Crop inspection, Aerial mapping, Power line, railroad inspection drones.

Next thing that "They" will want is the removal of all Trees and shrubs and burial of all
Power and Cable and Phone lines to facilitate their operations.

No, that is all nonsense and a distraction of the real issue.

The main underlying reason to get "US" out of the way is primarily National Security.
God help us with that mandate in their pocket.

Oh, The threat to our infrastructure is very REAL !
Say, some terrorist group/individual puts together several GPS programmed target "vehicles" .
and launches a batch of them within a short period of time.
They could "TAKE OUT" Power Stations or High power distribution lines and CELL TOWERS.

Then the whole country comes to a widespread screeching halt immediately !

With the proposed mandates,
The only thing WE modelers are left to do is fly Indoors or "illegally" in our back yards, by ourselves.

The whole proposed data-base, app, log- in THANG is too pervasive and just simply ludicrous.
Nobody is going to voluntarily participate in anything which is that intrusive or over reaching.

The very nature of that intrusive of a proposal is self defeating as it will KILL participation
and/or drive people into the shadows.
Which ultimately negates the proposals' utility.

Next thing that occures is that the "authorities" will be looking for US versus the real terrorists.

Loosing FREEDOM is the issue for us.
Government is supposed to PROTECT US not by limiting our freedoms.
Doing so illustrates Governmental laziness, stupidity and arrogance.

It should always be ON THEM , the government, to figure out a way to DO THEIR JOB,
without affecting or impinging on We The People.

THE still lingering question is this ...
IF "WE" are so few that we cannot politically protect ourselves,
THEN why are we worth all the effort and expense to restrict and regulate US?

S HEZZ E ! this is starting to sound like a manifesto. sorry .

I'm heading to the shop while I still can !
Last edited by birdofplay; Jan 08, 2020 at 09:30 AM.
Jan 07, 2020, 11:45 PM
I think it may be the end. But there will always be rebels!
Jan 08, 2020, 06:54 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Does the FAA believe that someone with illegal destructive intent is going to use a UAV that can be tracked? They'll figure out how to mask or disable tracking. This proposed rule is only going to hurt the hobbyist.
Jan 08, 2020, 07:27 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Yet , drones are sold by the gazillions as “ Toys” … That's OK !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 08, 2020, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
....There's only a few of us left in my patch that still share an interest in small scratch built foamies.
Out of curiosity just before posting this I checked to see how many people were viewing the "Scratchbuilt Foamies" forum under the 'Aircraft-Electric-Airplanes' topics. Much to my surprise this forum had the most viewers other than the "Electric Plane Talk" forum which is a catch all forum that, by the way, contains a lot of threads about EPO bind and fly foamies. So apparently there is a good amount of interest in scratchbuilding foamies but possibly not a lot of interest in posting in threads about scratchbuilding foamies. Maybe there's hope yet.

Quick Reply