F3B Eagle Restoration

Check out this glider restoration project. There is good info here for any sailplane pilot!

Splash

F3B Eagle Restoration

A few weeks a ago I received a text message from a pilot who bought my F3B Eagle from me over 17 years ago. The pilot who bought it from me flew it only a handful of times and since he had no more use for it and the model was no longer in flying condition, he offered me to take it back.

This was my very first molded glider. I bought this Eagle 24 years ago and flew it in a few F3F competitions and later used it in F3J. I used it at the 2000 F3J world championship as a secondary model and flew 3 or 4 rounds with it in the wind.

I decided to take it as a restoration project. I sanded off all the old repairs which were done when I was an inexperienced builder, glassed them again and used epoxy with micro-balloons as a lightweight filler to get an accurate airfoil shape. After sanding the filler I ended up with a smooth and structurally sound wing. I then replaced most of the servos, all the wiring and of course the battery. I added a fuselage ballast tube and a new adjustable tow hook.

I didnít put too much time in restoring the paint job as matching the color of the UV discolored paint on the wing is next to impossible and the wing still has the original FAI stickers I used at the 2000 F3J WC and the now faded processing stamps, those were more important to than the yellowish white.

Final weight is 2350 grams and Iíve modified the ballast setup I had originally. I can bow ballast it to 3000 grams which is enough for our local F3F conditions. I hope the weather cooperates with my local slope soon so I can take it out for a spin. If not... Iíll have to pull out my old winch and see if that still works...

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jan 09, 2020 at 11:10 AM..
Jan 07, 2020, 11:16 AM
Looks a lot better
Jan 08, 2020, 07:05 PM
R2R
R2R
Very cool!
Jan 09, 2020, 12:29 PM
Nice.

Tom
Jan 09, 2020, 02:32 PM
What a different in weights of planes today. Nice job bet it still flies great.

Art
Jan 09, 2020, 04:04 PM
I've done a couple of restorations of planes I built years ago. One was a one off I built in 1986, came back to me about 5 years ago. Almost made my LSF 5 two hour with it in '87, came up about 10 minutes short.
It's a modified Camano 100 fuse with a T-tail and 3M S3021 airfoil. New servos, new 2.4 receiver, new battery, new paint job and wing recovered. Here are some of pictures of the result.
Jan 09, 2020, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
I've done a couple of restorations of planes I built years ago. One was a one off I built in 1986, came back to me about 5 years ago. Almost made my LSF 5 two hour with it in '87, came up about 10 minutes short.
It's a modified Camano 100 fuse with a T-tail and 3M S3021 airfoil. New servos, new 2.4 receiver, new battery, new paint job and wing recovered. Here are some of pictures of the result.
Nice, kind of a Tomano design? Camodi?

Eagle looks great. I have an Thermal Eagle kit around here I need to build some day.
Jan 18, 2020, 12:08 AM
new RC Sailplane owner
Tom very well done maybe there a few more flights in her maybe she will bring you good luck since you safe her from the Grave Yard. Hope to see a video of her on YouTube. God Speed Capt Tom.

Quick Reply