Jan 06, 2020, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Loose wire on motor

Hi all,

Building a new Ez Fly foamie and I noticed a loose wire on the motor - see the photo. It is a HobbyKing hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv.The motor runs fine. Maybe it has been there all along and I just never noticed. Any idea what it is for? Maybe the start/finish of a winding wire?

Thanks!
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 10:11 AM
Sokol
the heat shrink is covering the center of the star connection. There should be nothing else connected to this point.
you may see that the number of strands is equal to the sum of the number of strands that go to the three motor connections .
do not worry , all is OK.
Jan 06, 2020, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Thanks!
Jan 06, 2020, 11:58 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
What JureZ said in message #2.

The coils in a motor can either be configured in star/wye, as in your case, or configured in delta/triangle.
Configured in delta, Kv is factor √3 higher.

Nine coils, three per phase. Your Hextronik has twelve coils, four per phase, but you'll get the idea.
(text is not correct, delta draws factor 3√3=5.2 more current and power)

Nine coils, three per phase.

Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jan 07, 2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: language
Jan 07, 2020, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the clarification, Ron. I have not studied at all how these brushless motors work.
Jan 09, 2020, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreetham
Thanks for the clarification, Ron. I have not studied at all how these brushless motors work.
Here you go, I also have some information on how the software works on these ESC's. And, yes, it is very complex.

Brushless DC Motors & Control - How it Works (Part 1 of 2) (10 min 33 sec)

Brushless DC Motors & Control - How it Works (Part 2 of 2) (7 min 23 sec)

Quick Reply