Jan 16, 2020, 12:53 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
I think you're missing the point with the Super Cyke.
What you have is a spark ignition engine, that has been run as a glow, using one of the early porcelain glowplugs (Champion VG).
If you're "interested" in engines, there's not much point in running it as a glow on the bench, it would be far more fun to run it on sparks, the way it was meant to be run!
Your Cyke needs a "Champion VR1" plug, which are not very rare, and you could probably get away with running it on a "Champion V", which are neither rare nor expensive.
Finally, a Super Cyclone, running on sparks, is a great, great engine. Running on glow, it's just another glow...
Maybe you are missing the point in this rebuilt. The problem is that this is not just any engine. I just want to see it run. It is not even mine. I don't have a coil nor the fuel tank for it. The engine was frozen solid when I got it. I freed it up and got all the parts cleaned and working. I just want to see it run. It belongs to my clubmate and that was his father's engine. He just wanted a memorabilia to remember his father. Not so much a Super Cyclone.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2020, 04:31 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
OK, so you only want to see it run.... But it is a spark ignition engine.
It looks like someone may have run that engine as a glow, but that's not the way it was meant to run and the result is pretty dull compared with spark running.
Jan 16, 2020, 04:41 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
It looks like someone may have run that engine as a glow, but that's not the way it was meant to run and the result is pretty dull compared with spark running.
I understand but again it is NOT my engine. Yes some one was running it on Methanol before I cleaned it up. Evidence will be the glow plug and the point being wide open and not touching the crank. The Super Cyclone was probably designed as a gasoline engine with spark. That is probably why there was no fuel tank. The tank was suppose to melt with methanol.

I have NO control over what some one did or did not do with the engine. I was only given the engine to see if I can clean it up and preserve it as a momento.

I have the engine rotating and has compression so I just want to see it spin on it's own power. No more no less. I have no sentiment regarding the engine. I don't care if it is dull as long as it runs. I can consider my job complete.

Now playing with a Rossi ducted fan engine and trying to spin it close to 19,000 rpm.....that's an engine.
Jan 16, 2020, 05:40 PM
Diesel Danny
Quote:
Old spark ignition engines were designed to run on petrol so had the appropriate low compression.

Not suitable for a glowplug engine unless the head is shaved

* Danny M *
Jan 16, 2020, 06:04 PM
It had a glow plug. It may be safe to assume the compression has already been adjusted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Jan 16, 2020, 09:04 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
>>It had a glow plug. It may be safe to assume the compression has already been adjusted.<<

Hard to say. Actually from my playing with different engines the gasoline fueled engine actually needed higher compression to work well. However I am not sure the prior users had enough information to adjust the compression ratio. Most users are/were hobbyists. They don't dive as deeply into certain aspect of model "engineering" to get that involved. Most just take what ever they can get their hands on and run it.

Even nowadays there are a lot of information floating around the internet. We have a lot more information than the old days. However how much of these informations are actually correct, true, factual or just some fragment of imaginations from other hobbyists. I am not saying any information is bad necessarily but there are definitely a lot of not so correct info out there. So we are not any better off than the old days. Sometimes too much information is just confusing.

In my personal tests I have run quite a few wet fuel engines on different fuel. I have used gasoline, Ethanol and gasoline mix, almost straight Ethanol and Methanol with and without additives. In my opinion compression ratio is overrated. I have been making head gaskets of different thickness to adjust compression ratio and after trying different ones I found that changing compression ratio by changing the thickness of the head gaskets had very little affect on the over all performance of the engine. If the engine is in good shape and has good compression to begin with it will run on any fuel. If the engine is old and tired and has lower compression ratio it simply will not run well. So the actual piston to cylinder sleeve seal is way more important in getting a good running engine. Of course unless we are talking about shaving heads by more than .010" at a time until the piston start hitting the squish band. Then we destroyed an engine.
Jan 17, 2020, 02:31 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny mz
Old spark ignition engines were designed to run on petrol so had the appropriate low compression.
Not suitable for a glowplug engine unless the head is shaved
* Danny M *
Danny, that's only true of a few very early (old design) spark engines, which had low compression.
The "higher performing" spark engines all run OK as a glow, without messing around with anything.
There was a period when I didn't have a spark ignition circuit wired up, so I tried it. They run OK, but you don't get the "crack" of spark ignition.
For example, I think all post-1939 Ohlsson sparkers run OK as glow. I've tried it on very many, and I've never had one that didn't run.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:10 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Ok this maybe sacrilegious to some purists but I made an adapter to use a 1/4-32 glow plug on the Super Cyclone. This way I can run the engine just to see it run then let my club mate put it away as a momento to remember his late father.

I just have to cut the adapter to proper length now.
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Jan 25, 2020 at 03:36 AM.
Jan 25, 2020, 03:32 AM
Great thread here.
Jan 25, 2020, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave

Now playing with a Rossi ducted fan engine and trying to spin it close to 19,000 rpm.....that's an engine.
I wanna see that video!
Jan 25, 2020, 03:53 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22
I wanna see that video!
I got this one to spin 13,500 plus with a 12 X 6 prop and no tuning on the pipe.

Rossi 81 ducted fan engine rebuild (1 min 13 sec)

Scott told me to get a 9 X 10 carbon prop but I couldn't find one. The closest I found was a 10 X 10 sort of carbon prop from APC. I am fixing a short Rossi header and a short tuned pipe. I will give it a try.

I am not really shooting for 19,000 rpm on a Rossi 81. To me that's a bit too much. I will be happy to see 16,000 to 17,000. The key is the idle. I want to retain the 2,000 rpm idle.
Jan 25, 2020, 09:40 PM
I would have loved to have seen 19k rpm but that low idle was really nice.
Jan 25, 2020, 09:42 PM
I bought a few 9x10(?) cf props a few years ago for that day when I run a df on a stand. Someone on RCU Extreme Props forum would make them on request. Rare props indeed.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:46 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
I would have loved to have seen 19k rpm but that low idle was really nice.
Me too. Maybe it will.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:48 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
I bought a few 9x10(?) cf props a few years ago for that day when I run a df on a stand. Someone on RCU Extreme Props forum would make them on request. Rare props indeed.
Scott gave me link to this website for carbon props. They are mostly for 40 size pylon racers and I couldn't find a 9 X 10.

http://eliminatorprops.com/store/

Quick Reply