Jan 05, 2020, 12:51 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Discussion

OK Wankel and Super Cyclone

This clubmate of mine kept on bringing up old engines. They are interesting enough that I want to try and clean them up.

First one is the OS Wankel. I felt almost no compression. First of all is there an exploded diagram somewhere I can download? I figured I will ask here before doing Google. I know Reginald showed pictures of one he took apart and cleaned. Is there any parts available to get the compression back up to running condition? Or should I just clean it up for a conversation piece.

The second one is a Baby Cyclone. Spark plug and point. This one probably is not going to run again but I will probably just clean it up and set it up for display only. However I can use some help as to taking it apart.

I will get some pictures up later.
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Jan 06, 2020 at 12:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2020, 02:21 PM

OS Type 49 Wankel

I don't know about "compression" in a rotary engine -- there's nothing to push back against, as in a piston engine -- but I've attached a parts list and an exploded view published by OS.
Jan 05, 2020, 02:56 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P.
I don't know about "compression" in a rotary engine -- there's nothing to push back against, as in a piston engine --
Internal combustion engines cannot function without compression, because without compression there is no expansion, and that is the phase that does the work. And if there is compression, you can feel it.
So yes, a Wankel does have a noticable compression, although not as clearly felt as a piston engine.
Jan 05, 2020, 04:17 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
>>I don't know about "compression" in a rotary engine -- there's nothing to push back against, as in a piston engine -- but I've attached a parts list and an exploded view published by OS.<<

I played with a few Wankel in the last 50 years but never took one apart. Yes they do have compression. Maybe not the same feel as the piston engines but there were definite compression.

I guess if the piston ring can get stuck in the groove those "hardened wipes" on a Wankel can also get stuck in the groove too. I will take it apart and clean every to see if I can get it working again. It can be a fun engine to spin up.

Thanks for the exploded diagram. Now I have a way to start tearing it apart.
Jan 05, 2020, 07:38 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Here are the pictures of the Wankel and Baby Cyclone.
Jan 06, 2020, 12:37 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
I got most of the case screws off the Wankel. I don't want to start prying without knowing what I am doing. Anyone took one apart that can shed some light on this?
Jan 06, 2020, 01:49 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
That's not a Baby Cyclone. Its the larger Super Cyclone .60. The Baby is much different looking. I snatched a couple pics from the MECOA museum page to show the difference. The Baby is only a .36 size and first came out around 1935. The original cases were made of Magnesium and not very many made it to today because they corroded like crazy. I've got one with a replacement case.

The Super Cyclones came out around 1940. But you gotta be careful because they were copied and reproduced several times. Not that the copies ran bad but people have tried to pass them off for high prices. I have a copy of both and its hard to tell the difference. You have to measure the fin thickness and the piston is stamped on the originals if I recall. You can see it through the spark plug hole. Also, the higher output Super Cyk's had holes drill just below the lower fin for sub piston air intake. You can see them in the MECOA pic.

Anyway, I've never taken either apart so I can't help you there. I couldn't help it but I attached a pic of some of the other engines I have. It was impromptu so I didn't go get any others when I took it. Left to Right - Bunch Tiger Aero .45, Vivell .49, McCoy Red Head Jr .49, Dennymite .57, Scott Thunderbird .60, Atwood Super Champion .62.

Cool stuff man!

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jan 06, 2020 at 02:46 AM.
Jan 06, 2020, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
I got most of the case screws off the Wankel. I don't want to start prying without knowing what I am doing. Anyone took one apart that can shed some light on this?
If you click Wankel in the Search you will find some info
Jan 06, 2020, 11:31 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
The Super Cyclone is one of my favorite engines. Great runners. I've disassembled and reassembled many times.
You won't have any problem. It's dead easy.
In 1940, the Cyke was just about the best of all model engines, with the Ohlsson Custom and Forster 99.
Your model should look like this, so you're missing at least the prop nut and the tank assembly.
Last edited by brokenenglish; Jan 06, 2020 at 11:38 AM.
Jan 06, 2020, 12:06 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
That's not a Baby Cyclone. Its the larger Super Cyclone .60. The Baby is much different looking. I snatched a couple pics from the MECOA museum page to show the difference. The Baby is only a .36 size and first came out around 1935. The original cases were made of Magnesium and not very many made it to today because they corroded like crazy. I've got one with a replacement case.

The Super Cyclones came out around 1940. But you gotta be careful because they were copied and reproduced several times. Not that the copies ran bad but people have tried to pass them off for high prices. I have a copy of both and its hard to tell the difference. You have to measure the fin thickness and the piston is stamped on the originals if I recall. You can see it through the spark plug hole. Also, the higher output Super Cyk's had holes drill just below the lower fin for sub piston air intake. You can see them in the MECOA pic.

Anyway, I've never taken either apart so I can't help you there. I couldn't help it but I attached a pic of some of the other engines I have. It was impromptu so I didn't go get any others when I took it. Left to Right - Bunch Tiger Aero .45, Vivell .49, McCoy Red Head Jr .49, Dennymite .57, Scott Thunderbird .60, Atwood Super Champion .62.

Cool stuff man!

Mike
Thank you Mike. I stand corrected. I changed the title. I will also check with MECOA and see if they have any parts if necessary.
Jan 06, 2020, 12:07 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald
If you click Wankel in the Search you will find some info
Thank you. Yes I did and found some information. David McIntyre did a couple of videos on YouTube.
Jan 06, 2020, 12:08 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
>>Your model should look like this, so you're missing at least the prop nut and the tank assembly.<<

Sure seems like it. I need to keep an eye out for replacement.
Jan 06, 2020, 03:04 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
>>Your model should look like this, so you're missing at least the prop nut and the tank assembly.<<
Sure seems like it. I need to keep an eye out for replacement.
The late Woody Bartelt's family did say that they would continue selling his engine parts until stocks ran out. It would be worth asking...
Jan 07, 2020, 05:00 AM
OS Wankel Mk-1 screw set...
Jan 09, 2020, 01:39 PM
About the Wankel... I have several of them. I was told once that if you take one apart, it will never run again. I know this isn't true because I took it apart anyway, and it did run again, BUT the statement probably isn't completely without merit.

If you could clean it without taking it apart, I'd do it on this one. Warm it up with a heat gun and flush it with 90% alcohol. Flush and soak, flush and soak, flush and rotate by hand changing directions so as to wiggle the apex seals. Then maybe a WD40 flush and a quality light oil of your choice. It should have fairly good compression and regular intervals during rotation.

Be careful of the glow plug. It's a special rotary type, and I don't know how common they are anymore. A 2 or 4 cycle plug may work, but I don't know how well, and probably not as well as the correct one.

If you do take it apart, I would tighten the screws back down in a couple of steps and a diagonal pattern. As you may know, not only must the apex seal off, but both sides of the rotor as well. It's a very precise fit.

Quick Reply