Jan 03, 2020, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

inverted motor quadcopter

hello all , a while ago I passed by a strange quad copter motors mounted inverted. I have seen several octas or even tricopters with motor pairs on evry arm but never digged into physical advantages of such design.. any way I read yester day that a quadcopter with inverted motor will reduce a hell lot of propeller wash and un necessary drag and this with have considerable improvement in flight time!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2020, 11:52 PM
Thread OP
this is what I mean this for example is a quad copter I just chosen its pic from net arbitrary
Jan 03, 2020, 11:54 PM
Thread OP
hopefully if some one has tested this numerically please inform us on results you have came into and what advice on topic
Jan 04, 2020, 12:00 AM
Thread OP
after 4 years into hobyy first racing and now am falling into fpv. after several quad builds 15 min or so capable i feel i need to spend more time in same flight. so maybe this idea gives several extra minutes per battery?!
Jan 04, 2020, 12:40 AM
Thread OP
this idea drived me far exited not to wait i have a 450 that is just sittining with a tiny lux fc lite v1 on it i inverted it now and am charging the 3s that gives it 14min in air
Jan 04, 2020, 02:00 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
There is no advantage to doing it this way. Aerodynamically, it's pretty much the same. If anything it's a bit worse, since the air going in to the props will be disturbed as it flows around the arm, and disturbing air going in to the prop is worse than disturbing the air after it exits the prop.

eMax has a micro quad with the motors mounted inverted. Looks cool because all the other micros are right side up. But I haven't seen anything to suggest it flies better. And when you take off and land, you do it with your props closer to the ground, which never seemed like a good idea to me.

If this way was better, everyone would be doing it this way. The fact that hardly anyone does it this way strongly suggests there's nothing to be gained except maybe "cool" factor.
Jan 04, 2020, 02:34 AM
Thread OP
i removed the landing legs inverted the fc and double checked the order of motors and mixer
Jan 04, 2020, 03:06 AM
Thread OP
well i don't know but test on gave me 3.5 min plus every thing equal , i will repeat bseveral tests but am impressed
Jan 04, 2020, 03:08 AM
Thread OP
thank you rockets for your opinion i hope others also share what they have on topic
Jan 04, 2020, 03:57 AM
Thread OP
this is the girl during the test
Jan 04, 2020, 08:45 AM
Sorry but I don't see a huge advantage to inverted motors - and it complicates the landing gear to keep the props off the ground.
Jan 04, 2020, 08:59 AM
There is no efficiency advantage to this.

That craft looks like the "Flying Spaghetti Monster".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2019
this is the girl during the test
Jan 04, 2020, 11:08 AM
If there were an advantage, they would all be built that way. :-)
Jan 04, 2020, 02:15 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
if you're after max efficiency go with tubular or vertical profile arms.
Jan 04, 2020, 08:40 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
If you're really after max efficiency, strip off every gram of weight you can and run lower KV motors with slightly larger props, the fewer blades the better.

Quick Reply