Jan 29, 2020, 02:14 PM
Crash and Build
Thread OP
Ahh, obvious now!
I have not looked at the tail at all! wasn't in my mind.
I am finishing the wing, so I was wondering if it is a doubler or something.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2020, 02:41 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Wing

Itís been a while since I posted progress. I came down with the flu last Friday and havenít been up to working in the basement shop.

The wing went together without any major problems. I dry fit the ribs in the leading edge pieces and tacked with thin CA. I then glued the top spar and shear webs in. All this time I left the ribs dry fitted into the trailing edge but not glued. I flipped the wing panels upside down and used thin CA to glue the trailing edge. Putting slight pressure on the bottom of the rib at the trailing ensures itís aligned.

The only slight problem I found is the wing sheeting with aileron arm opening has a laser cut hole for servo lead. I wanted my aileron servo arms to exit the bottom of the wing. You need a hole in the sheeting on the top of the wing for the aileron servo leads. I ended up using the pieces from the kit and modified for the top of the wing. I cut the tab off where the servo arm exits. I then cut new sheeting with aileron arm slots for the bottom of the wing.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Feb 14, 2020, 10:06 PM
For inspiration.... Customer completed WillyNillies Jr. Skylark 250 by Joe in Arizona. :-)

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Feb 15, 2020, 06:04 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhart1971
For inspiration.... Customer completed WillyNillies Jr. Skylark 250 by Joe in Arizona. :-)

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Those are very nice looking airplanes - I am impressed!

Feb 15, 2020, 08:07 AM
Crash and Build
Thread OP
I have my new wing kit and going to try take 2.
After further research, (reading threads) I can see where I lost my way. I made many errors in my build.
Going to try fresh and look forward to getting going again.

Then covering! How do you guys get those nice curves? I have only ever managed straight lines, and have not covered in 10 years.
Feb 15, 2020, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoles
I have my new wing kit and going to try take 2.
After further research, (reading threads) I can see where I lost my way. I made many errors in my build.
Going to try fresh and look forward to getting going again.

Then covering! How do you guys get those nice curves? I have only ever managed straight lines, and have not covered in 10 years.
I know your pain! I too had so many errors on my Jr. Falcon I just ordered another complete kit. Waiting for delivery so I can get started again. My last balsa model (Bridi RCM 40) was many years ago. I love this concept and I'm hoping Willy Nillie will soon come out with at least a sheet plan to refer too. Looking forward to other airplanes they may come out with.
Feb 15, 2020, 09:17 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
...Then covering! How do you guys get those nice curves? I have only ever managed straight lines, and have not covered in 10 years.
You might want to practice a little first, on 'gash' pieces, or dummy 'wings', just to get your hand in. I'm not expert (far from it...), but get reasonable results; it's not rocket surgery. I'd recommend cutting enough all round to be able to hold onto the edge, when tacking down. Sometimes a second pair of hands can be useful..? For curved surfaces, don't press down to stick the film; it's not like ironing a shirt. Instead, approach the iron to the film, keeping a bit of tension over the curve. The increasing heat will allow the film to stretch; that's when to smooth it down, either with the iron (gently...), or with a soft cloth 'swab'. On tight curves, slitting the film may be necessary. The tighter the curve, the closer the slits should be made. Again, practice helps in judging what's best.
If there are creases remaining, despite all the care taken, don't try to 'squeeze' 'em flat. Instead, apply the tip of the iron to the end of the crease, which will shrink. Follow this shrinking along, slowly, with the tip, and the crease will pretty much disappear of its own accord.
Hope this helps (a little...).
Feb 15, 2020, 03:07 PM
Willy Nillies Jr Skylark maiden 2 15 20 (5 min 40 sec)

Jr Skylark 250 maiden: From Joe in Arizona "Maiden was a major SUCCESS!! My apologies for another raw, unedited video. Sorry guys but I'm just not interested in turning video editing into yet another hobby learning experience/expense. Not gonna happen......

Many millennia ago when I first started flying the old Pterodactyls in the club told me to always trim in a bit of up elevator for a maiden flight as it's easier to trim out a climb than it is a dive for the ground! I had trimmed in 5 or 6 clicks of up for this maiden. You'll hear me quickly trim them out as they weren't needed at all. Aside from constantly looking out of the corner of my eye for the loose running dogs and fighting the curling winds coming off the top of the bowl she flew pretty much hands off. She did climb a bit with full power but that is probably due to the aileron droop rather than motor thrust as I was saying in the video. The droop helps low speed flight so much that if I do anything at all I'll mix in just a little down elevator with the throttle. I'll likely just leave it alone though. I flew for just over 5 minutes. The battery took in 181 mah to fully charge.

Jon, the 2 inverted scenes should tell you they fly just fine inverted with some aileron "droop". I expect my Eaglet tohave zero problems with it as well.

I only got the one flight in today as just after I landed the cricket team showed up. They have the field reserved on weekends until sometime in April so next flight will have to be this Monday. Then I hope to fly the Eaglet again after making all the minor changes. I'm sure she'll be a habds off flyer as well.

Joe"
Feb 15, 2020, 03:18 PM
Crash and Build
Thread OP
fantastic, a bit jealous of your weather, it was 1degree F here this AM/
What dihedral do you have?
Feb 15, 2020, 03:19 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
These models have my attention! I'm building a CG Eaglet 50, interesting to see the smaller one. I like the look of the Hummer 250, I need to get a low-winger, that one looks like a fast build.
Feb 15, 2020, 03:29 PM
Quote:
fantastic, a bit jealous of your weather, it was 1degree F here this AM/
What dihedral do you have?
Medium dihedral brace. (6 degrees).

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Feb 16, 2020, 03:01 AM

Brother-in-concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
These models have my attention! ... I need to get a low-winger.
Looking for a low-winger? Here we go:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...m#post40126333

That's a very similar concept, and even more simple to build.
The 250's will become more and more important to keep the hobby alive. Ridiculous legislation is not only a US issue, as over here in Europe one brainless rule/law is followed by the next one.

Cheers,
H.
Feb 16, 2020, 12:06 PM

Jr. Skylark help

Little slow finding there was a build log for the jr. Skylark. I was puzzled by a few things like the partial wing ribs and fuse end (no triangle that I found). Muddled through though battery tray is reversed- opening seemed good for a fuel tank although a one ounce will not fit. Would love to see more radio installations on the 250 gram models. Now I am going to run the elevator pushrods out the back a la sig hummer, re drilling pushrods guides an needed. Probably just run a pewee .020 to start.
Also not sure of what piece goes to rear center of wing for mounting purposes and to match the ailerons?
Feb 16, 2020, 12:44 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Iíll try and answer your questions.

Partial wing ribs: These are to hold and reinforce the main landing gear wires.

Triangle at back of fuse: this piece seems to be missing from early beta kit runs.

What to do at Trailing Edge for wing hold down: from your third pictures you show one piece of balsa. There are two of these for the trailing edge.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Feb 16, 2020, 12:54 PM

Thanks

Appreciate the help. Not doing landing gear this run. Should be another rectangular piece or may use other balsa on hand for trailing edge. Forgot the rudder goes to bottom of fuse so may have that pushrod go straight out. Definitely having more difficulty installing radio gear in my seventh decade. Covering was always "challenging". Thanks for help.

Quick Reply