Jan 03, 2020, 01:41 PM
Sittin' on a hill
Thread OP
Discussion

How much does our voice matter for RID?

I just found this gem in a footnote of the proposed rule:
"In addition to the ARC feedback, during the development of this NPRM, the FAA received two letters specific to remote identification of UAS, one from the Academy of Model Aeronautics and the other from the Small UAV Coalition. Both letters provided their respective organizationsí views on the policies that the FAA should propose in this rule. Neither of these letters were considered in the development of this rule. Both letters have been placed in the docket for this rulemaking." (Page 77, footnote 51)

It appears the FAA doesn't really care what we have to say about this. Make no mistake, I'll still be writing to comment once I finish reading the whole thing. But I don't expect it to make any difference.

So what can we do to actually make our voices heard?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2020, 02:03 PM
the comment section is just a formality
Jan 03, 2020, 02:09 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
That is depressing. If that is true it would appear they do not give a rat's behind about how these draconian rules will affect a hobby that has existed safely for longer than many of them have lived. It has long been an entry point for aero engineering, aero innovation, pilots and even astronauts. Heck, I have models that are flyable that are older than many of the people in the FAA. The point that hurts more than anything is no flying above 400' in Class G airspace! That is where I do most of my flying. The only way to affect that appears to be with a FRIA that has a LOA and those are to be phased out over a short period of time. Our only chance is to have the law that congress passed changed. However, I'm not hopeful that will happen. My reps say controls were needed and they are done with it.

As I have heard before when referring to the FAA, "we ain't happy till you ain't happy".
Jan 03, 2020, 02:16 PM
Quote:
The point that hurts more than anything is no flying above 400' in Class G airspace!
even worse that no hobby r/c activity at all outside of FRIA
Jan 03, 2020, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombang
even worse that no hobby r/c activity at all outside of FRIA
Not without RID anyway.
Jan 03, 2020, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark
That is depressing. If that is true it would appear they do not give a rat's behind about how these draconian rules will affect a hobby that has existed safely for longer than many of them have lived. It has long been an entry point for aero engineering, aero innovation, pilots and even astronauts. Heck, I have models that are flyable that are older than many of the people in the FAA. The point that hurts more than anything is no flying above 400' in Class G airspace! That is where I do most of my flying. The only way to affect that appears to be with a FRIA that has a LOA and those are to be phased out over a short period of time. Our only chance is to have the law that congress passed changed. However, I'm not hopeful that will happen. My reps say controls were needed and they are done with it.

As I have heard before when referring to the FAA, "we ain't happy till you ain't happy".
Protest in numbers.. non-compliance as well. You can see this was done on purpose. It is meant to discourage us from exercising our rights to the airspace through the tyranny of over-regulation.. and it's immoral and a threat to freedom. It deserves to be fought, it deserves to be protested...the only problem is getting everyone together and united for a common cause. But instead, all we do is sit around and gripe and complain and eventually forget about it. And here we are. (It's not a rule yet...so I say do what we can until then. If nothing changes, we fight)
Jan 03, 2020, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Not without RID anyway.
a RID system only won't be available, the production standard & limited UAS with RID will be a unit
Jan 03, 2020, 03:19 PM
Quote:
My reps say controls were needed and they are done with it.
yup, that's the official word
Jan 03, 2020, 03:20 PM
Quote:
If nothing changes, we fight)
back to being 'rogue'
Jan 03, 2020, 03:43 PM
Quote:
a RID system only won't be available, the production standard & limited UAS with RID will be a unit
RID for short.
Jan 03, 2020, 03:44 PM
Quote:
back to being 'rogue'
Separately, we hang. United we have power.
Jan 03, 2020, 04:21 PM
Sittin' on a hill
Thread OP
I'm still only halfway through but it looks like the goal truly is to destroy our hobby as we currently know it. They are even asking for comments on whether kits that don't include rid should even be legal to sell in the USA. Do they even have the power to regulate that?
Jan 03, 2020, 04:33 PM
Quote:
United we have power.
don't get your hopes up, FRIA is only good for a small segment of hobbyists & backyard hobby flying above 0.55lb will be illegal, so there shall be a new modeler r/c category; Regulation Careless
Jan 03, 2020, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwillaguydo
I just found this gem in a footnote of the proposed rule:
"In addition to the ARC feedback, during the development of this NPRM, the FAA received two letters specific to remote identification of UAS, one from the Academy of Model Aeronautics and the other from the Small UAV Coalition. Both letters provided their respective organizations’ views on the policies that the FAA should propose in this rule. Neither of these letters were considered in the development of this rule. Both letters have been placed in the docket for this rulemaking." (Page 77, footnote 51)

It appears the FAA doesn't really care what we have to say about this. Make no mistake, I'll still be writing to comment once I finish reading the whole thing. But I don't expect it to make any difference.

So what can we do to actually make our voices heard?
-I'm cross-posting info from the RID Status Thread below, that speaks to Advocacy to date. The letters we send will aid the AMA in their advocacy efforts. Also, bear in mind, we are 5-6 years out from implementing anything detailed in the NPRM. That is plenty of time to push back on the NPRM, and then lobby for a legislative carve-out, which, as regards r/c hobby aviation, takes the FAA out of play.

--------------
Model aircraft enthusiasts prove unlikely foe for Amazon

Tech industry insiders say hobbyists are effective lobbyists against commercial drones

Technology executives say the Academy of Model Aeronautics has been an unexpectedly powerful opponent in the race to get their aircraft airborne, adding the group is one of the main reasons Amazon and others are still unable to deliver their goods by drone.

“We are all waiting for the Federal Aviation Administration to come up with the rules which would allow commercial drones to fly,” said one lawyer working in the sector. “But every time the regulator proposes something that would also impinge on model aircraft hobbyists, the AMA bombards members of Congress with emails and phone calls.”

Companies wishing to fly drones where their operators cannot see them currently have to register as an airline, as Alphabet’s Wing Aviation did. But the cost of complying with airline safety standards is steep, and the FAA is drawing up rules that would allow drones to operate more widely.

According to lawyers and industry experts, however, the main sticking point is remote identification. If commercial drones are to fly beyond the line of sight of their users, law enforcement agencies say they must be able to identify immediately who their owners are...

The regulator is due to publish its recommendations on remote identification later this year, but the date keeps getting pushed back as it looks for ways to accommodate the concerns of various groups, including the model aircraft community.

https://preparingforgre.com/item/145502
Last edited by elan; Jan 03, 2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: p
Jan 03, 2020, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
The letters we send will aid the AMA in their advocacy efforts.
The AMA sold us out -- FRIDs (to force modelers into the AMA, or so they think ) for not sounding the alarm.

Quick Reply