Jan 03, 2020, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Can a Radio Transmitter transmit and receive? Both on 2.4gHz?

Can Receiver receive and transmit? Both on 2.4gHz
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2020, 08:33 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesaknockin

is your google broken?
Jan 04, 2020, 08:26 AM
Gone with the Mistral
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
This thread is officially a troll thread.
a troll could have a funny side...
this is the opposite of aircraft and multirotor advocacy (again?)
Jan 04, 2020, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
Episode 16 - FAA Remote ID with Tyler Dobbs (24 min 27 sec)

Is the AMA complicit with the New NPRM FAA Proposal? As long as everyone joins the AMA, flies at the AMA approved FRIA sites. I see where this is going. The AMA is against rogue fliers. Doesn't like Jim and Joe Blow making their own flying sites.
This is as proposed the Ultimate Hobby Killer. Not ALL drone pilots, sail pilots, giant scale pilots, 3D pilots etc. are going to be able to fly in the 2500 flying sites in America. There are 200k AMA members, but how many RC Pilots are there actually. The FAA registration numbers give a good indication, but yet not all have registered. Many so called, Rogue Pilots, are voicing that they are not going to comply. I wholeheartedly see why, that pilot is left out of the mix. The Rogue's will take their chances, but, what happens when the rogue pilot damages a Amazon Package Drone, causes a crash/accident. What then? There's a lot of if's...We haven't gotten to the public perception yet. Will the public accept these autonomous package delivery drones. We aren't at that point yet, either. Yes, there are tests and trials in place. But, not yet at full capacity. Only time will tell.

PS I personally like my Amazon package placed on my porch near my door, in the yard, NO...Not going to cut it with myself nor the public.
Last edited by kneesaknockin; Jan 04, 2020 at 10:59 AM.
Jan 06, 2020, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56

Lipo powered aircraft aren't ready for prime time for flight over areas full of valuable things. When the fires start from crashed drones, the aerial delivery operations will become too expensive to insure.
That's why they won't ever let the hobby go extinct. They'll need to be able to point to someone else flying nearby, to blame the fires on.
Jan 06, 2020, 09:33 PM
Quote:
https://youtu.be/mh1li3ZU9hk

Is the AMA complicit with the New NPRM FAA Proposal? As long as everyone joins the AMA, flies at the AMA approved FRIA sites. I see where this is going. The AMA is against rogue fliers. Doesn't like Jim and Joe Blow making their own flying sites.
This is as proposed the Ultimate Hobby Killer. Not ALL drone pilots, sail pilots, giant scale pilots, 3D pilots etc. are going to be able to fly in the 2500 flying sites in America. There are 200k AMA members, but how many RC Pilots are there actually. The FAA registration numbers give a good indication, but yet not all have registered. Many so called, Rogue Pilots, are voicing that they are not going to comply. I wholeheartedly see why, that pilot is left out of the mix. The Rogue's will take their chances, but, what happens when the rogue pilot damages a Amazon Package Drone, causes a crash/accident. What then? There's a lot of if's...We haven't gotten to the public perception yet. Will the public accept these autonomous package delivery drones. We aren't at that point yet, either. Yes, there are tests and trials in place. But, not yet at full capacity. Only time will tell.

PS I personally like my Amazon package placed on my porch near my door, in the yard, NO...Not going to cut it with myself nor the public.
I fly fixed wing and FPV. What these idiots don’t seem to get is that AMA fields are done. I guess we should be all happy that we realistically have 5 more years of non restrictive flying at AMA fields. Every site eventually is going to be a “rogue” site if you want to fly anything. We need an organization that represents all fliers with a million plus members if we want to have any impact on anything. Without the FPV community we get nothing accomplished. If either the FPV community needs or the traditional RC needs get left out we all lose.
Last edited by AkronDon101; Jan 06, 2020 at 09:40 PM.
Jan 07, 2020, 01:13 AM
People aren't going to like these delivery drones buzzing around all it's going to take is some cities to ban them from landing or taking off. Ballot measures could also be raised taken to voters based on privacy and job killers. Amazon and google are good at lobbying federal side doesn't work so well in states and local governments.

Realistically all these rules are going to be difficult to enforce local LE is not being paid by the FAA to enforce their rules not to say it won't happen if someone flies at an airport, or over large event illegally. If your outside the cities or on private land I don't see any enforcement.
Jan 07, 2020, 07:48 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:

I'll bite.

Yes, for quite some time now..... Telemetry systems , such as FrSky, have had 2-way comms for a while. I believe Spectrum and Futaba, and others, have telemetry systems as well......
Last edited by Rusty105; Jan 07, 2020 at 09:34 AM.
Jan 07, 2020, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, like the RSSI and Battery Voltage...Small two digit readings...

I was wondering, about your Name, Address, Location, Intentions, etc, etc...Could that be built into the firmware of the receivers we have now? Or would that be an add-on?
Jan 07, 2020, 09:22 AM
My thought was use telemetry to send positional information the transmitter and have a ix20 like transmitter that has the internet connection for sending out the data. However, the current NPRM does not give manufacturers or operators this flexibility. It may be something that can be suggested in responses to the FAA.
Jan 07, 2020, 09:36 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Yeah, like the RSSI and Battery Voltage...Small two digit readings...

I was wondering, about your Name, Address, Location, Intentions, etc, etc...Could that be built into the firmware of the receivers we have now? Or would that be an add-on?
The hardware is there, the rest is firmware..... BUT those retrievers are likely not capable to transmit on WiFi or BT
Latest blog entry: Test entry
Jan 07, 2020, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56

Lipo powered aircraft aren't ready for prime time for flight over areas full of valuable things. When the fires start from crashed drones, the aerial delivery operations will become too expensive to insure.
My feelings exactly. Once the drone losses start piling up, with lost packages and drones, fires from crashed drones, stolen drones, etc., the novelty will wear off pretty quickly with the public. The lawsuits resulting from property damaged by errant drones will make Amazon, Google, et al, realize that this is not a good business model.
Jan 12, 2020, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
Legal RC flying's days are numbered, unless your models are all under 250g. Unlawful flying will continue, especially for those of us with neither AMA clubs nor pilot's licenses. Sure, my helis can be detected. But can DJI Aeroscope distinguish between a Blade Nano CP (at 32g (1.13 oz), well under the 0.55lb weight limit) and an Align TRex 760X weighing in at 5.2 kilos (about 11.5 pounds), when they're using the same Spektrum transmitter? I don't think so.
No, but if you fly the 760X and someone sees you, they can call the cops. When the cops come and find you don't have Remote ID, you'll have to pay whatever fine that the government sees fit.
Jan 12, 2020, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw
When the cops come and find you don't have Remote ID, you'll have to pay whatever fine that the government sees fit.
Hooray for lousy police response time then.. I'll be out of battery by the time they show up :-)
Jan 12, 2020, 11:12 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
Hooray for lousy police response time then.. I'll be out of battery by the time they show up :-)
From one of my 2017 posts:

Police gets a 911 call about a drone. They'll check it out -- after the reported drug deal gone bad, the two street fights, that weirdo yelling at people again, and the fender-bender two streets over. By the time they get to the drone, it's been five and a half hours, the flyer is long gone. The cops are annoyed because it's almost the end of their shift and they had to do a major detour to go check this out.

Another shift, another drone call. This was only a few minutes ago, they have a good chance of catching the perp! They show up lights blazing... to discover two twelve-year-old kids playing with a tiny Syma quad bought at Walmart. Maybe 100g or so? Then spend half an hour explaining to the irate old lady next door who called 911 that no, it's not illegal, no, they are not looking in your window, there's not even a camera on this, it's a toy, please, 'mam... <sigh>

This time's the right one! They just got the call, it's one of those big evil white drones, "Ghost 5" or something. And yes, there's a guy standing there with carry boxes and transmitter and everything! Wait, something's wrong -- the man isn't worried, he's even pleasant. He lands and pulls out a MAAC card and registration documents, and a signed letter from the owner of the field, confirming that a) it's their MAAC club's secondary field, and b) he's got permission to be there anyway. Fully legal, even though he's 1.5km from the airport, flying maybe 30 feet away from building and cars, and has a few people watching him.

The next day, the cop confirms reception of the latest drone report to his dispatcher, goes back to his donut. He's not falling for this again.

Quick Reply