Jan 10, 2020, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodbarney
Secretary Elaine Chao is married to Senator Mitch McConnel. They are famously corrupt. Both must go if wish to see fair treatment.
They along with the other members of that august body.
The only way to find out is diligence and perseverance. If anybody really wanted to find out, it could be done but it would take a little time...it appears that no one wants to spend the time.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2020, 10:52 AM
Why doesn't the FAA drag out their list of registered drone pilots and start questioning them? Wasn't that the reason for the list in the first place?
Jan 11, 2020, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFromCO
Why doesn't the FAA drag out their list of registered drone pilots and start questioning them? Wasn't that the reason for the list in the first place?
The FAA has shown no particular interest in these drones at all. They basically had to be dragged in. Considering they go nuts at the sight of a mylar balloon if they can call it a drone, I think this means they know exactly what they are and can't say.
Jan 12, 2020, 11:29 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFromCO
It should be obvious by now that the FAA is using this as a media event. They have no real interest in getting to the bottom of this drone "mystery".
As the Secretary of Transportation said at CES the other day, this event in Colorado and Nebraska demonstrates the "Wild Wild West" attitude that now exists with unregulated drones in the NAS. They are getting maximum mileage out of this no doubt...in order to clear the way for their idea of the future "Drone Economy" (their words not mine)...

This has been going on now for weeks and the only airborne asset used is a multi-mission Pilatus PC-12 owned by the state of Colorado and used for WildFire monitoring, please. As this continues to drag on people are beginning to catch on to the FAA's "strange" lack of commitment in getting to the bottom of this.
Someone steals a Honda...and in an hour, there are 2-3 News/Police choppers chasing it with IR cameras at night...on live TV. A stolen car gets more interest then has been shown by the FAA dealing with this event since almost Christmas.
Jan 15, 2020, 03:42 AM
Here's an interesting link, regarding media hysteria: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/p...nes-even-exist

So, it happens to be that the majority of sightings were false alarms. A few of them were actually hobbyists, flying legally for recreation. One person in the article explicitly makes this statement:

Quote:
“The question is do authorities NEED to know what it is?” Sean Wendland, a drone enthusiast in Sacramento, Calif., asked Motherboard. “Is it causing any harm? Has it created danger? Do Americans NEED to know what it is? I would argue no, not at the cost of freedom.”
One time, me an a local sheriff were having a friendly conversation. He told me that many of society's ills happen because people aren't minding their own business, when there is no crime or suspicious activity taking place.
Jan 15, 2020, 11:29 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Here's an interesting link, regarding media hysteria: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/p...nes-even-exist

So, it happens to be that the majority of sightings were false alarms. A few of them were actually hobbyists, flying legally for recreation. One person in the article explicitly makes this statement:

One time, a local sheriff were having a friendly conversation. He told me that many of society's ills happen because people aren't minding their own business when there is no crime or suspicious activity taking place.
Once started, public/media hysteria continues and in the public's mind...ideas within the NPRM sound better and better.

"Mysterious Drones: Theories continue to grow about mystery drones seen in Colorado, Wyoming and Nebraska"

https://kdvr.com/2020/01/15/mysterio...-and-nebraska/
Jan 15, 2020, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko
Once started, public/media hysteria continues and in the public's mind...ideas within the NPRM sound better and better.

"Mysterious Drones: Theories continue to grow about mystery drones seen in Colorado, Wyoming and Nebraska"

https://kdvr.com/2020/01/15/mysterio...-and-nebraska/
Some of the videos I've seen consisted of bright white lights, and a red flasher. Well guess what? A Hubsan Zino Pro has blue LEDs on the front, and red or green in the back. A less expensive model, the MJX X103W, has bright white landing lights, is under 250 grams, and you can buy one for $150.00. So yes, most of these were hobbyist drones, and cheap ones at that. People get confused over distance, and will very likely misjudge the size of an object at a distance. And, it is difficult to hear an airliner 20 miles away, yet one idiot says he saw a drone flying at a 20 mile distance?

Now I'm beginning to question all this. Even small foamie electrics flying line of sight with no camera are being threatened by this hysteria.
Jan 18, 2020, 03:50 PM
Isn't it a coincidence? Just when the FAA is gunning for model aviation amid the complaints about drones and model flyers, all of a sudden these mysterious drones are lighting up the skies over Colorado, Wyoming and Nebraska.
And no one knows who's doing it! Certainly not the U.S. Air Force or some nearby university, certainly not the local constables....most of them can barely read let alone fly a drone, so no one has a clue. Not even the FAA!?!
Maybe those strange lights are nothing more than light from the planet Venus, reflecting off a weather balloon through swamp gas.
Maybe it's Elaine Chau's eyeballs glowing in the dark.
Who knows. Stay tuned, I'm sure CNN will come up with the answer very soon.....probably gun toting alt-right followers of Richard Spencer(sarc alert) .
Whatever the case may be the answer will be found immediately after RID is forced up on us all.
Jan 19, 2020, 02:50 AM
Since the government and law enforcement seem to be incompetent or unwilling to investigate maybe one of us should head over there and help solve the mystery. I don't think it would be particularly difficult to pin down an operator or locate a landing site with the help of some rudimentary radio equipment.

The whole idea that Uncle Sam's vast resources have been unable to shed any light on this sinister, creepy drone mystery is positively laughable.
Jan 30, 2020, 02:51 PM
In case anybody was wondering what happened with the Colorado drone mystery, it turns out that they are actually recreational drones, flown by enthusiasts:

https://big979.iheart.com/content/20...lorado-drones/

https://www.ibtimes.sg/ufo-mystery-s...aircraft-37955

No illegal or malicious activity was reported, so the investigation is essentially complete. Another article indicates mass hysteria was the results of many reports of drones that were actually model airplanes such as the E-Flight Turbo Timber, which has lighting that would be similar to some of the planes described in the reports:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8...es-werent-real

The E-Flight Turbo Timer:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...elect-efl15250

More efforts need to be made in educating the public about the recreational RC hobby. Technology for park flyers has improved lighting capabilities for night flight, which may cause some individuals to confuse an actual model plane being flown line of sight with a full-scale aircraft.
Jan 30, 2020, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
In case anybody was wondering what happened with the Colorado drone mystery, it turns out that they are actually recreational drones, flown by enthusiasts:

https://big979.iheart.com/content/20...lorado-drones/

https://www.ibtimes.sg/ufo-mystery-s...aircraft-37955
Wichita! Hilarious.

Let me get this straight. They are going to find "a tic tac shaped UFO" by flying some drones around at night to look for it?

Were the cameras looking up, or looking down? Did they think the "tic-tac" had landed, way out there in the boonies?

I bet they were actually looking for a new home for Century II
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 30, 2020 at 04:57 PM.
Jan 30, 2020, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Wichita! Hilarious.

Let me get this straight. They are going to find "a tic tac shaped UFO" by flying some drones around at night to look for it?

Were the caneras looking up, or looking down? Did they think the "tic-tac" had landed, way out there in the boonies?

I bet they were actually looking for a new home for Century II
It's definitely entertaining, to say the least. People are so incredibly gullible, with people thinking the UFO hunter's hobby drones (most likely Parrot Anafis, because they can look straight up, or straight down) were super-sophisticated government Reaper drones. UFO hunters in and of themselves, are an odd bunch. But, at least they had something to go by with the Navy pics, while the masses only have hearsay. No report would have came from me. I would have seen lights, walked a few hundred feet, and probably took the time to meet a new flying buddy.

Quick Reply